The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello there

pad_jim

Shave Newbie
Hello to everyone!
I've known about wetshaving for a couple of years but never imagined it would be this addicting and burning such a hole in my pocket :LOL:
Started out with a Mühle Sophist Set (after the normal Gillette/Wilkinson cartriges) and only the good old classic palmolive cream in my tiny shaving bowl. The badger did almost not fit in there.

Afterward I thought I "graduated" when I found out about this universe of shaving forums from all over the world. I soaked up as much info as I could gather and shortly after bought an old but gold Gillette Gold Tech. Gold is not for everyday so there had do be another one.. and after that one another Gillette DE from 2020 and some more DE Razors. With the help from the forums I got a taste of the amazing history of straight razor shaving. So I wanted to try that and I got directly into vintage razors. I also wanted to learn how to hone the razors I got, so I read up on that as well and put some heavy honeware on my first razor.. so another one had to be welcomed to the den. And after that another one.. well I simply love straight razor shaving.

I like experimenting and checking out old/new stuff.
I'm here to expand my horizon. Looking forward to this experience.

Welcome Jim! Glad you could join in!

What are some of the “favorites” of your den right now for hardware/software?

Hello to everyone!
I've known about wetshaving for a couple of years but never imagined it would be this addicting and burning such a hole in my pocket :LOL:
Started out with a Mühle Sophist Set (after the normal Gillette/Wilkinson cartriges) and only the good old classic palmolive cream in my tiny shaving bowl. The badger did almost not fit in there.

Afterward I thought I "graduated" when I found out about this universe of shaving forums from all over the world. I soaked up as much info as I could gather and shortly after bought an old but gold Gillette Gold Tech. Gold is not for everyday so there had do be another one.. and after that one another Gillette DE from 2020 and some more DE Razors. With the help from the forums I got a taste of the amazing history of straight razor shaving. So I wanted to try that and I got directly into vintage razors. I also wanted to learn how to hone the razors I got, so I read up on that as well and put some heavy honeware on my first razor.. so another one had to be welcomed to the den. And after that another one.. well I simply love straight razor shaving.

Not so different from my beginnings. Welcome along.

Hello to everyone!
I've known about wetshaving for a couple of years but never imagined it would be this addicting and burning such a hole in my pocket

Welcome. To my knowledge there is no cure for RAD, (Razor Acquisition Disorder) but it can be managed with self discipline . Glad to see you here.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Cadre.

If you have any questions, ask anyone with a Concierge in their signature line. We're here to help.

What are some of the “favorites” of your den right now for hardware/software?
Favourite brush is my G5C in 26mm from APshave Co. I just love that brush as it gives me the best of both brush worlds. Close second is my Boti NC 26mm as it is everything I ever wanted in a badger brush.
Favourite straight is my Rich. Abr. Herder best german hollow ground 6/8. Very thin and over all just a formidable shaver. Second one is my Ralf Aust in 5/8. Both of these have a spanish tip which I seem to enjoy because of the challenge it poses.
Software wise, tbh. I only use my own shaving soap currently. I still have something left and I want to get as many test shaves with it as possible to hone the recipe a bit. Other than that I like Tabac (old formula), Stirling sheep, Declaration Grooming Massacre of the Innocents and Zingari Man The Rambler. Those are the most frequently used soaps in my den and also my favourites.

What are you using to hone and what is your favorite razor so far???
Before I ventured into honing on convex stones I did all my straight razors on a shapton ha-no-kuromaku 1,5k (love that stone), a 6k King and then usually some slate and onto a broad "Juchten-Leder" hanging strop. If I feel like it, I go for a couple of laps on an 8k Cerax before the slate and some extra stropping on a Kangaroo Leather bench strop loaded with 0.5µ Diamondemulsion. I'm also a fan of polishing linen as a stropping material. It works wonders for me.
Favourite razor is hands down the above mentioned Rich. Abr. Herder Best german hollow ground 6/8. I especially enjoy the way I can move this straight around my face, feels almost like second nature to me. I have not had this feeling with any other straight.

Favourite brush is my G5C in 26mm from APshave Co. I just love that brush as it gives me the best of both brush worlds. Close second is my Boti NC 26mm as it is everything I ever wanted in a badger brush.
Favourite straight is my Rich. Abr. Herder best german hollow ground 6/8. Very thin and over all just a formidable shaver. Second one is my Ralf Aust in 5/8. Both of these have a spanish tip which I seem to enjoy because of the challenge it poses.
Software wise, tbh. I only use my own shaving soap currently. I still have something left and I want to get as many test shaves with it as possible to hone the recipe a bit. Other than that I like Tabac (old formula), Stirling sheep, Declaration Grooming Massacre of the Innocents and Zingari Man The Rambler. Those are the most frequently used soaps in my den and also my favourites.

Before I ventured into honing on convex stones I did all my straight razors on a shapton ha-no-kuromaku 1,5k (love that stone), a 6k King and then usually some slate and onto a broad "Juchten-Leder" hanging strop. If I feel like it, I go for a couple of laps on an 8k Cerax before the slate and some extra stropping on a Kangaroo Leather bench strop loaded with 0.5µ Diamondemulsion. I'm also a fan of polishing linen as a stropping material. It works wonders for me.
Favourite razor is hands down the above mentioned Rich. Abr. Herder Best german hollow ground 6/8. I especially enjoy the way I can move this straight around my face, feels almost like second nature to me. I have not had this feeling with any other straight.
You and @Bill M will get along just fine with your Convex stones. He loaned me a set that needs a lot more play time yet. Really glad to have ya! That Herder is a great razor for sure. I've owned 3-4 and they took a great edge and were very forgiving. Sounds like you know your way around the stones pretty well!

Sounds like you know your way around the stones pretty well!
thanks - still a looong way to go as I still know very little on a plethora of stones and have not even touched any jNat. I'm eager to learn and really enjoy the process. I just hope I can pass along some of the gear as space is finite:LOL:

thanks - still a looong way to go as I still know very little on a plethora of stones and have not even touched any jNat. I'm eager to learn and really enjoy the process. I just hope I can pass along some of the gear as space is finite:LOL:
I was planning on doing an overview of my stones in a video soon. Jnat, Synthetic, Arkansas, Thuringian, Coticule, Welsh Slate, Water of Ayr(TO'S), and Jasper. They all have their own unique characteristics which are subjective, depending on the razor steel, grind, and beard type. I have a lot to learn yet too!

Back