The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello from N. Florida

PaulFLUS

Shave Member
Hello all. My name is Paul as indicated by the username. I was invited here by a friend (Gasman) whom I know from another place. I am primarily a straight shaver and have been for years, all told about 45 years but not exclusively (or almost exclusively) straight shaving until about 10 years ago. I guess you could call me a collector too as I started off with the J.A.Henckels I inherited from my father and since that time that number has increased to somewhere between 180-200...220 maybe but who's counting?

I maintain my own edges as well which means that I am also well healed in the strop and hone department as well. You might say that I'm a sufferer of the dreaded H.A.D.: hone acquisition disorder. I'm not even sure how many rocks I have not counting the ones in my head.

I also have a love of restoration. Mainly for myself but I have also done restorations for others. These days my preferred diamonds in the rough are old Sheffield choppers; mainly Wade and Butcher FBUs but also Wostys, Freddies and the other usual suspects. Here's some before and afters of one I restored of which I had pics readily available for.
Screenshot_20210216-192406.png
Screenshot_20210216-192141.png
PXL_20210614_234528530.jpg

PXL_20210614_234806518.jpg

Thanks for the invite and I hope to make some new friends and hopefully be asset.

Welcome Paul!

1674659067638.gif

I think you’ll find some hone hoarders in our place for sure. I dig your restored razor that you showed! Nice work!

The forum is a wealth of info and good gentlemanly forums. Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave @heysi , @Fenster , @Scuttlesoap

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

Again Welcome to our group and we hope you have a superb time with us!

The forum is a wealth of info and good gentlemanly forums. Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave @heysi , @Fenster , @Scuttlesoap

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay
Thanks. Yep, read it. Nutshell: "Stay in your lane. Don't be a jerk." Wouldn't have it any other way.

Welcome Paul. Please familiarize yourself with the Terms of Use, and if you plan to offer restoration services or showcase the work you do or complete please review our Hobbyist program linked below. We are glad to have you here

Thread 'Welcome to the Hobbyist Sub-Forum: TERMS OF USAGE RULES (PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND)'
Welcome to the Hobbyist Sub-Forum: TERMS OF USAGE RULES (PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND)
Thanks. Yep, read that too. Not advertising or offering. Just sharing. All the restores for others I've done so far have been friends or people in need of help. Probably won't offer restore or honing commercially but IF so will definitely be a play by the rules, team player.

Welcome Paul! You probably have an awesome SR collection! Nice resto!
Why...yes...yes I do. I have so many it's like shopping sometimes. "Oh, hello beautiful. Almost forgot you were here."

In fairness I also have some en route to being wind chimes. That happens when you buy lots. Often I'll see a lot for sale and I'm only really interested in one or two but to get the one you have to buy the others. Usually it's worth it. Sometimes not so much.

Why...yes...yes I do. I have so many it's like shopping sometimes. "Oh, hello beautiful. Almost forgot you were here."

In fairness I also have some en route to being wind chimes. That happens when you buy lots. Often I'll see a lot for sale and I'm only really interested in one or two but to get the one you have to buy the others. Usually it's worth it. Sometimes not so much.
Been there done that! I could make several sets of "the devils windchimes" myself...

I don't know what I'd do if I owned 220 razors... I can't even imagine! So glad to have another avid straight razor enthusiast, you're gonna fit right in! My favorite Sheffield makers are George Butler and F. Fenny, awesome razors for sure!

HAD is likely my most dangerous AD.... One of the most expensive too! We need to see your stones at some point!

@Majorrich We should make a few sets of windchimes, but I don't think they'll last too long. As hard as the steel is, I could imagine the turning into shrapnel generators in a strong wind storm! Still, would be awesome to see hanging in the workshop(with killed blades of course).

Welcome,

Matt

Last edited:
Yes, I know that 220 is a paltry clutch of straights. Honestly though, I know people who could put a zero behind that number. Sometime I'll take some pics of my hones and post them too.

Back