The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello from Johannesburg, South Africa

Welcome! You just joined a merry band of enablers, advisors and probably the best kind of internet friends on the interwebs.

I play around in my workshop and turn big pieces of metal into smaller pieces of metal and make things that I think that I need/want, Sometimes that works out and other times it doesn't.
Cool, there's a few builders and tinkerers on The Cadre. You're going to like it here.

Welcome to the Cadre! Always nice to have another perspective around here! Thanks for Joining TSC!

Hi Claudio and welcome to the Cadre my friend!

I'm sure you will like this site and I'm sure you'll fit in great on here especially when we talk about the Gibbs.

Thanks all.
The Gibbs is a great razor Frank (but you knew that before I did ;)). That said I have an interest an any adjustable razor. I would think that anyone who tinkers around on a lathe or milling machine would probably feel the same.

Thanks all.
The Gibbs is a great razor Frank (but you knew that before I did ;)). That said I have an interest an any adjustable razor. I would think that anyone who tinkers around on a lathe or milling machine would probably feel the same.

I just had the chance to use the Russian Taiga Adjustable and it’s the real deal.i have to do a side by side with the Gibbs but it feels like it may be as good.

I just had the chance to use the Russian Taiga Adjustable and it’s the real deal.i have to do a side by side with the Gibbs but it feels like it may be as good.
I'm waiting for mine to arrive.
It has great reviews. I was waiting for you to get the pass-around and after reading your post I'm glad that I got in on the first batch.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive.
It has great reviews. I was waiting for you to get the pass-around and after reading your post I'm glad that I got in on the first batch.

I tried getting one as well but it was late at night so I thought I'll just order it when I get up in the morning and they were gone. So I'll have to wait until the next batch is available so good score my friend! Let us know what you think once you've had a shave or two with it. Did you opp for the Titanium handle option? I'm still out on the fence on that and if I were being super critical at this point I wish the 90 mil handle was an 85 as I think you and I are on the same page with our Gibbs. We like the original length or the handle and this one feels a little long but maybe with the Ti handle being lighter it would be better. Wait there you go make a 85 Mil handle option for it once you get it and figure out how that could be done! LOL

I tried getting one as well but it was late at night so I thought I'll just order it when I get up in the morning and they were gone. So I'll have to wait until the next batch is available so good score my friend! Let us know what you think once you've had a shave or two with it. Did you opp for the Titanium handle option? I'm still out on the fence on that and if I were being super critical at this point I wish the 90 mil handle was an 85 as I think you and I are on the same page with our Gibbs. We like the original length or the handle and this one feels a little long but maybe with the Ti handle being lighter it would be better. Wait there you go make a 85 Mil handle option for it once you get it and figure out how that could be done! LOL
Both handles. Its not really about weight so personally I don't think that the Titanium handle is going to help too much. Just look at the Rocnel Sailor 1, its beefy and heavy but is maneuverable and is about the same length as an original Gibbs.

A "short" handle for it has crossed my mind a number of times and I'm pretty sure that soon after getting it, its going to get a shorty.

Both handles. Its not really about weight so personally I don't think that the Titanium handle is going to help too much. Just look at the Rocnel Sailor 1, its beefy and heavy but is maneuverable and is about the same length as an original Gibbs.

A "short" handle for it has crossed my mind a number of times and I'm pretty sure that soon after getting it, its going to get a shorty.
Please let me know when you have that ready!

@Clouds and @Dragonsbeard - be sure to post your findings here. I'm guessing that the Taiga may be the way to go rather than the Heritage if I'm looking for a Gibbs replacement/supplement.

I'm going to wait to try the Heritage before making a strong decision since the Taiga is out of stock but based on the fact that the Taiga is all SS it may be the one to have but if the Heritage is only $100 then that would be almost a 3rd less if you opt for the Ti handle option on the Taiga. Of course you get two baseplates and the first ever adjustable to offer an OC baseplate.

I'm going to wait to try the Heritage before making a strong decision since the Taiga is out of stock but based on the fact that the Taiga is all SS it may be the one to have but if the Heritage is only $100 then that would be almost a 3rd less if you opt for the Ti handle option on the Taiga. Of course you get two baseplates and the first ever adjustable to offer an OC baseplate.

Back