The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello from Illinois

BigHands

Shave Newbie
Hello everybody, newest new guy here. I’m glad to join and am looking forward to exploring the forums and engaging with you all.

I got into wet shaving maybe a year ago or so. I started with a straight and I still use one occasionally but I prefer DE most of the time now. I’ve expanded my razor collection to 3 straights and 5 DE razors as of now. My latest was the Rex Konsul but I loaned it to a friend at work and now I’m suffering from withdrawals while it’s gone lol. I really enjoy trying new to me soap makers too so the shelf in the bathroom is filling up quickly.

That’s all for now but again, I’m looking forward to talking with you all and I’m hoping to learn a few things as well. Have a good one! Here’s a recent SOTD photo of mine

016B745C-518E-49ED-9611-3C1A67B3C9BA.jpeg

Hi BigHands!

You’re officially the 800th Member - you get a nice set of steak knives. Just kidding!

Nice set up there of the SOTD and I agree - the Konsul is a fantastic razor - you are a good friend - I’d have withdrawals just thinking about it leaving my den!

Just a thing on the admin side: The forum is a wealth of info and good gentlemanly forums. Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here: https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave @heysi , @Fenster , @Scuttlesoap

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

Again - welcome and we’re happy you’ve joined the crew.

Last edited:
Hello everybody, newest new guy here. I’m glad to join and am looking forward to exploring the forums and engaging with you all.

I got into wet shaving maybe a year ago or so. I started with a straight and I still use one occasionally but I prefer DE most of the time now. I’ve expanded my razor collection to 3 straights and 5 DE razors as of now. My latest was the Rex Konsul but I loaned it to a friend at work and now I’m suffering from withdrawals while it’s gone lol. I really enjoy trying new to me soap makers too so the shelf in the bathroom is filling up quickly.

That’s all for now but again, I’m looking forward to talking with you all and I’m hoping to learn a few things as well. Have a good one! Here’s a recent SOTD photo of mine

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS FATBOY you have there! I own my grandfather's Fatboy and really enjoy its shaves. Welcome to the forum!

Awesome of you to join us, we're a pretty active group and we have a lot of fun around here!

Which Straight razors do you own? Do you hone as well?

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS FATBOY you have there! I own my grandfather's Fatboy and really enjoy its shaves. Welcome to the forum!

Awesome of you to join us, we're a pretty active group and we have a lot of fun around here!

Which Straight razors do you own? Do you hone as well?
Thanks for the warm welcome! I started with the Dovo Diamant (5/8 round), then my neighbor very generously gave me his Dovo 5/8. He said he just really couldn’t get into it and he’d rather I have it and use it instead of it just sitting tucked away. And finally I picked up a Thiers Issard Oakwing. She’s a fully polished 7/8s square tip and it’s absolutely gorgeous.

As for honing, I kind of do in a way. I have a Wicked Edge knife sharpener that I’ve used on them. I have a pretty solid selection of diamond stones and strops as well. It does pretty well but I honestly think that I need to send them out to have them properly honed.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I started with the Dovo Diamant (5/8 round), then my neighbor very generously gave me his Dovo 5/8. He said he just really couldn’t get into it and he’d rather I have it and use it instead of it just sitting tucked away. And finally I picked up a Thiers Issard Oakwing. She’s a fully polished 7/8s square tip and it’s absolutely gorgeous.

As for honing, I kind of do in a way. I have a Wicked Edge knife sharpener that I’ve used on them. I have a pretty solid selection of diamond stones and strops as well. It does pretty well but I honestly think that I need to send them out to have them properly honed.
The Thiers Issard Oakwing is a NICE razor! Well done there, The Diamant is a great starter razor for sure! Most of my collection is vintage, but many of Dovo's offerings have been winners for me too!

Welcome! Glad you could join in!

What are you enjoying as far as brushes and software?

Welcome! Glad you could join in!

What are you enjoying as far as brushes and software?
Hello! For brushes I’ve got 2 Stirling badger brushes, the butterscotch bulb is my go to of those two. I’ve got a Vielong badger/horse brush which is my least favorite of all despite it always giving me a great lather. For synthetics, I’m sitting on a PAA somethingerother, a Simpson T3, and my favorite overall is a Teton Shaves brush with a Simpson knot. That one was a Christmas gift from my buddy at work

View attachment 103608
Hi BigHands and welcome.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Back