The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello from Germany

Bavaria Blade

Shave Member
Hello to all wet shaving junkies.
My name is Jürgen and I am 64 years old. I come from southern Germany (Bavaria), near the border with Austria.
I've been familiar with the safety razor for a long time but have now moved towards straight razors.
The warm, dark notes are my favorite scents for shaving soap and aftershave. For me no lime, no eucalyptus, no menthol 😨
I whip up shaving lather in a shaving bowl with synthetic brushes.
I became aware of @BarberDave shaving videos and hope I can learn here a lot about techniques and equipment from the USA.
Greetings 🍻

(I hope you understand my texts, my school English was a long time ago and I work a lot with an online translator.)

Jürgen, Welcome to The Cadre! Good to have you here.

If you haven't already, please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave , @heysi , @Fenster

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

We're definitely a different kind of forum, with lots to offer that other forums don't. Check out our Zoom calls, every other weekend. Great conversations, and an awesome way to meet your fellow wet shavers.

Last edited:
Hi Jurgen, greeting from Detroit, Michigan the motor city. You use the synthetic brush regularly? I’ve been wet shaving for about 20 years, and haven’t tried one..I heard Muhle makes a good one

You use the synthetic brush regularly? I’ve been wet shaving for about 20 years, and haven’t tried one..I heard Muhle makes a good one
I have switched almost entirely to synthetic brushes (aside from my Paladins). And you don't need to spend a lot to get a good one. Most synthetics are similarly sourced.

I also, except for 3 special badger brushes, have and use only synthetic brushes.

Yaqi has some really great handles and knots at very value-oriented prices. They remain my current favorites.

With respect to Simpson’s great legacy of badger brushes, I would not at all recommend their synthetic brush if you are a face latherer, it can feel pretty rough most times unless you are only using paintbrush techniques.

I think I’ll go with a shavemac then Jurgen. I love the #82 handle Bernd makes, 26 mm bulb shavemac synthetic fibers..$50. What are the “ warm dark notes “. You like shaving with..I’m in the Midwest, and it gets brutally cold here in the winter…that sounds like something I’d like to try.

Back