The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

HAM Radios

I am a lowly Tech, and have been away from playing radio for much too long. Local ham club politics soured me, but I can't add anything to this answer.

I will say I just bought the study guide and taught myself the theory, and knew a few guys at my church that served as Elmer's to me.

I NEED to upgrade to General. Hope to study this winter. Playing around on the HF bands will probably be semi-expensive, but I SURE ain't gettin' any younger!

Good luck Don; you'd be an incredible asset to the community my friend.
Local ham club politics?

This doesn't seem like science at all! It seems like witch craft! 🤪
law-office-management-monty-python-witches-gif.gif

This time we had to wrap toroids with a tap. Not hard, just take a bite of wire at the secified wrap, twist, and keep wrapping. Got everything together, added 63' of 26 gauge silicone insulated wire and now we have a 40m (7 mhz) antenna.

20220619_144914.jpg

20220619_144942.jpg

Reminds me of my college days when I was a member of the electronics clubs and indulged in ham radio a bit. Never got around to a license.

The hobby died with the internet. The best I do today is use SDRs to listen in what the world has to say.

The hobby died with the internet.
I dont know, some of the coolest things lately (DMR, LoTW, FT8) wouldnt be here without the internet. But I will agree it has changed the conversation a bit.

For example a guy at work approached me to get licensed so he could do OTH FPV (over the horizon, first person view) drone flying. Granted getting a ticket for RC flight has been a long standing thing, but drones and streaming video from them are new.

Back