The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Greetings from the SEA/TAC area!

Ceramics-

1k, 5k, 8k, 10k natural (welsh) 12k, 16k

Lapping plate- etc

I want to get into natural stones though. Arkansas stones. Translucent, black, etc. they’re a little more pricey and harder to hide in terms of wifey and ticket shock 🤣
NICE!

Just do this :devilish:, "Oh, a new stone, nooooooo, this isn't mine.... This is a stone that insert random TSC member name sent me to try out and do some testing on." Then never "Return," the stone and wifey will never suspect anything..... Though that is lying and if she has control of the finances, she would definitely know some hijinks are up. Also, this is generally not good to do if you want to have great relations with the wife.... So, maybe don't do what I just suggested and borrow some of our stones LOL

Naturals are a lot of fun! Save up a little and do some trading and you'll have a nice set in a hurry. I like my Welch slates, I have the 8K, 10-12K and gave a friend the finisher(15K ish). They are not super fast, but do provide a smooth edge. I highly suggest you check out Jasper hones, which are fast and provide a super sharp edge. They can also be slurred with a diamond hone or used as a base for slurry from a Thuringian, Coticule, Tomo, or Welsh slate.

Myself, I use ceramics too! Naniwa Chosera 1K, Naniwa SS 5K, 8K, then I finish on either the Welsh+Jasper, Jasper, Impiria La Roccia, Escher, Arkansas Translucent + Surgical Black, Coticule, or Calico Cream.

I forgot- post shave, I have a progression of 3 balsa strips I made beginning with chromium oxide and ending with FeO.

Now, the Balsa strops are one thing I never really got into. I do have a CrOx pasted Straight Razor Designs webbing strop which I use every great once in a while if I don't want to go to the stones. For the most part though, I steered clear after I successfully removed gold and other etchings from two of my vintage razors. It may work wonderfully, but on razors with fancy etchings and gold, it will not leave them looking the same. Plain jane razors would probably benefit from a balsa progression after naturals, though at that point you're shaving with a balsa strop edge and not a natural edge. Not to knock it at all. I should give it a try some time though!

Back