The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Great shaves courtesy of my vintage Carboridium hone.

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
As a regular straight razor shaver with a large collection of razors, honing is a regular occurrence. Many of my blades still have the original edge I put on them 2 years or more ago, when I was much less able to achieve the best possible edge. Over the years I have collected some of the finest Coticule Stones, some very nice slates and even a surgical black Arkansas stone. My skill (or luck) improved and my edges became better. I guess you could compare my stone collecting to a DE shaver’s search for new and better blades. I have more than I need and I’m all honesty don’t fully uunderstand what each is truly capable of.

Recently, my love of vintage gear lead me to acquire a couple boxes of random vintage gear. Digging through the goodies revealed a well used but well maintained Carboridium 152 hone, complete with original box. According to the instructions provided the stone is known to be a very fast cutter capable of delivering “a tug free shave” with only a few passes. The instructions say to use a layer of lather but they also mention how fantastically the stone works dry. I have a very similar (but smaller) dry hone so I have been using the stone dry.

Gentlemen I will confess, even my best coticule edges have difficulty topping arm hair until they have been stropped. Once properly stropped a colticule edge is like no other. I have taken several razors with “tuggy” or subpar edges to the new to me Carboridium and each and everyone of them tops arm hair after a few short minutes work. I am employing solid technique but nothing special. Stropping improves the HHT and results in a smooth shave. By adding 15-20 laps on the 0.1micron cotton strop I have been rewarded with some of the best shaves I have had this year. A look under the lupe shows a fairly aggressive scratch pattern but a very clean, straight bevel edge. The stropping smooths the pattern some but they still don’t achieve mirror like we usually associate with a “good” edge.

if I were to rely entirely on the scratch pattern I would never consider it possible to get the shaves i’ve gotten. CLOSE is the word. Not one of these edges has delivered anything short of close. Adding some finishing work on the vintage Norton Hard Ark I got in a different box adds a polish and smooths the edge but doesn’t change how darned close the fresh off the Carboridium edges deliver.

enough yapping here’s a nice photo.

Honing razors are a bit over my head...but I enjoy reading your posts nonetheless about them. A type of poetry if you will. While I understand what you are talking about...the practical application kind of escapes me. One of these days I might venture down this road...but for now...I am really enjoying reading about your journey!

Carborundum company is a fantastic manufacturer of anything abrasive! I didn’t realize they made hones at some point. Very nice Chris thanks for sharing.

Carborundum company is a fantastic manufacturer of anything abrasive! I didn’t realize they made hones at some point. Very nice Chris thanks for sharing.
Thanks for correcting the company name, I had intended to do so and forgot. I am currently in a fight with the Apple auto-correct feature

I have an old one that looks similar but know nothing about it.

Very cool, has the box and looks to be in good shape. I’m not exactly an expert (though I play one on TV) but I understand the old homes are made with pretty low grit abrasive. The surfaces are burnished in a similar way as the surgical Arkansas stone leaving a surface capable of finishing edges as if the stone were a higher grit. When used with a coat of lather they can be even smoother. Unfortunately this means once the surface is lapped it needs to be broken in again. A gold dollar and a bunch of rubbing seems move things along nicely.

Yours indicates you can use oil or water, I’ve not seen many that suggest oil.

Back