The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Great beginner Shavette or kamasori

Cut_Throat_Mike

Jr. Shave Member
When I first got into traditional WetShaving 6 years ago the very first item I ever bought was the CLASSIC SAMURAI SHAVETTE 🥋 when I was first starting out it was only around $13 ish bucks but now I just checked a little earlier recommending it to a beginner on Instagram that was interested and it’s $17 now but it comes with 100 Permasharp blades: (they are in my top 5 blades)

When it comes to kamasori Artist club razors. There’s only one that comes to mind: it’s the CJB KAMASORI. Only about $23 ish buck-a-Roos I believe it will blow the over priced feathers out of the water. I mean I actually feel bad for the people that start out thanks for something that much and they don’t even know if they’re going to end up liking it or not, that’s why a lot of people in the community recommend the all mighty CJB! 💪🏻😁

I recommend the feather supers in the CJB, the Kai captains tore my face up, I think they are made of poor quality, or they don’t know how to sharpen or something at that factory lol. They need to step their game up big time!

let me know if you ever tried either of these!

Personally I suck at using Shavettes period. There is a video around here somewhere of me taking a wedge out of my cheek with a barber straight. But yeah, your point is taken that if you are just getting into the game...a $25 razor is probably a better idea than the $100-$200 one. Are the CJB close enough to the Feather?

Hmmm never heard of this one before. Maybe I'll check it out in the future. I still have a Tedalus Essence to pick up first.
Personally I suck at using Shavettes period. There is a video around here somewhere of me taking a wedge out of my cheek with a barber straight. But yeah, your point is taken that if you are just getting into the game...a $25 razor is probably a better idea than the $100-$200 one. Are the CJB close enough to the Feather?
You both have seen and heard of that razor. I mean I know both of you guys have watched @NurseDave in at least one of his videos use one and or seen him mention it in a SOTD post !! I have used and posted about them too.. That was the thing I used to use the guard blades in at one point....I think @BarberDave has used them too and @Spider also...

A little bit late to the answering game, but.. my experience.

And yes, I am still stuck in that "middle point" where I would like to step up to the straight razor, but the maintenance (and the initial cost) holds me back. So, I am somehow experienced with DE razors and Shavettes.
As for the Shavette, the best ever one for me is the Böker Barberette Pro ("Pro" is important, they also have a non-Pro version). Why? Because, unline every other Shavette with a "scissor" locking (2 metal plates with some kind of lock that you can open like a scissor), those points where the blade sits are not at the top, but rather on the side.

And now, why is that important for newbies? Because, you will most likely put the blade crooked if those locking points are only at the top, which will lead to a nasty injury by the edge/corner of the blade. Know that, been there :-D The Böker locking point is for the side of the blade, so once you put it there, it goes nowhere, no up/down, no left/right. Why nobody else (at leasr I haven't seen) is doing it this way is a mystery to me.

And once you have a blade locked properly, the shave is very pleasant and effective.

I can provide photos if the description is no very clear..

Back