The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Good evening

Donno

Shave Newbie
Good evening
I’m Don in Tampa, Fl. I’ve been DE shaving for several years and I’ve just ordered a shavette to take the plunge into straight razors (wish me luck lol)
I’m so a big fan of Tabletop Roleplaying games and I like Magic the Gathering as well.
I’m looking forward to chatting with everyone here.

Welcome.
On the shavette…lowest angle, lightest touch, stretch the skin. Allow enough time and go slow as your skills develop. And don’t be afraid to backup initial shavette learning work with a DE.
On my 1/2 DE shavettes, I like Gillette Silver Blues and Nacets best.
On Artist Club formats, Feather ProGuard is a great blade to start off with.
Have fun.
Bill

Don, Welcome to The Cadre! Good to have you here.

If you haven't already, please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave , @heysi , @Fenster

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

We're definitely a different kind of forum, with lots to offer that other forums don't. Check out our Zoom calls, every other weekend (we have one tonight). Great conversations, and an awesome way to meet your fellow wet shavers.

Hey stranger! Long time no see. Get on tonight’s zoom call so we can catch up!

Which one did you get?
It’s one I found on Amazon with really good reviews. BRV Men is the company. I figure it’s good for learning and cheap. Once I get proficient I’ll buy a good one.
I’m out of town now so I’ll tackle it when I get home.

It’s one I found on Amazon with really good reviews. BRV Men is the company. I figure it’s good for learning and cheap. Once I get proficient I’ll buy a good one.
I’m out of town now so I’ll tackle it when I get home.
Is it a half DE, SE, or hair shaper shavette?

The half DE are the worst ones to start out with. Very unforgiving of technique, and not comperable at all to a true straight razor, if the goal is to transition to those razors.

Is it a half DE, SE, or hair shaper shavette?

The half DE are the worst ones to start out with. Very unforgiving of technique, and not comperable at all to a true straight razor, if the goal is to transition to those razors.
I believe it’s a half DE. The blade looks like it but longer.
What’s a good recommendation for an inexpensive starter? ( I know that’s a loaded question lol)

I believe it’s a half DE. The blade looks like it but longer.
What’s a good recommendation for an inexpensive starter? ( I know that’s a loaded question lol)
Well it depends what you want and what your end goal is. Personally I like vintage Weck hair shapers. The hair shaper blades are thicker and stiffer than DE. Another one I like is the Dovo Shavette. It, with different holders, can take a variety of blades. It just doesn’t have the feel of a true straight.

The DE ones are OK to start with, it’s what I used, you do just need to exercise care with them.

Welcome @Donno !

Have you tried out your Shavette yet??? What blades are you using or will you use?

Thanks man, I’ve been down with a nasty cold for over a week so I haven’t gotten a lot of work in.
My technique needs improvement for sure, a successful pass means no cuts, regardless of how much hair comes off.
As I’m getting healthier I need to put in lots more reps.

Back