The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Gold Dollar 208

Clemson Tiger

Jr. Shave Member
Anyone know if the factory gold dollar 208’s hone up nice & retain an edge?

I've heard that once honed they shave just fine, but my only experience with them was on passarounds. The one I honed and shaved with did a great job for the shave and the next guy thought it held the edge fine. Beyond that, I'm not sure, but I know several guys that have them and like them.

I have 7 GDs. All of them honed up just fine and have held their edges well. Don’t spend over $15.00 for a generic GD. If you have a near by Loves truck stop go in and find their Union Razor straight for $12.00. Just like a shoulder-less GD. These cheap razors are excellent learning tools for shaving and honing. When learning to hone with these GD or Union, don’t be gentle. Hone it like you hate it. More to say on this point if you’re interested. The secret to honing, IMO, is pressure. Got to learn too much from too little.

I got a video coming today addressing some issues for beginners. Uploading now.

I have 7 GDs. All of them honed up just fine and have held their edges well. Don’t spend over $15.00 for a generic GD. If you have a near by Loves truck stop go in and find their Union Razor straight for $12.00. Just like a shoulder-less GD. These cheap razors are excellent learning tools for shaving and honing. When learning to hone with these GD or Union, don’t be gentle. Hone it like you hate it. More to say on this point if you’re interested. The secret to honing, IMO, is pressure. Got to learn too much from too little.

I got a video coming today addressing some issues for beginners. Uploading now.
Yeah- not really looking on “learning” razors per se, more like looking for a project- I see a lot of guys making videos using them, raving about them- but I don’t know the particulars about their numbers etc- so I wouldn’t know good models from bad- I just want a project- the last one I got was the one I used yesterday my Soviet Yachta razor- that thing was a bear 🤣🤣🤣🤣 to hone- but once I dialed it in, she’d shave the capitalism out of Black Friday bargains!
7E66FD33-A6F6-4EC5-A867-FC53B36EF370.jpeg

I find they just don't keep an edge. I customized a few. Traded off two of them and kept my first one. It shaves just fine being in my mega rotation. That's once every couple of years. But when I first tested it as a daily shaver it started going south after 8 or 10 shaves. Had to then refresh every 3 or 4 shaves. Since then I have rehoned it and have only 3 shaves on it. I figure in my rotation it should be good for the next 10 years. lol.

Gold Dollar.jpg

Back