The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

G4 knot?

Fenster

"O a'u o le ULU Matai"
Concierge
Not a synth guy but... I saw some frank shaving G4 brushes that looked interesting. What are your opinions on the G4 knot? How does it compare to a Muhle STF knot?

I have both and I prefer the G-4 on my face
The STF is nice but just lacking something for me anyway. The G-4 is one of my favorites. But again it is just my opinion others may very

My main thoughts on the two knots are as follows:

1) the tips of G4 knots are a little softer and have no scritch, whilst the STF has the very slightest amount of scritch (which is often undetectable).

I’ve only ever rejected one STF knotted brush (Muhle 70th anniversary) as the scritch was too much for me. I’m not sure why this was the case with this brush, but it definitely felt uncomfortable.

2) G4 brushes tend to have a significantly lower effective loft due to rather large glue bumps.

Both knots are, along with Cashmere knots, my favourite synthetic knots and I don’t believe that you can go wrong with either of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the feel of a 25mm STF, but I think the G4 is the best knot at its price range.
The G5 came out recently, but it looks like a boss knot to me. Don't really care to try it.

Thanks for your opinions guys, somehow I missed @Graydog and @ajc347 Posts until today. I don't mind, and actually prefer, a little scritch When it comes to brushes. Appreciate everyone's input.

Back