The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Freshie / Spring Battle - New Poll

Freshie Battle - Which One Is The Winner?

• Yves Saint Laurent Y Eau Fraiche

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio Absolu

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Ok, last battle we put two Ralph Lauren Polo versions against each other - one old one new - and the classic won out.

Today, looking at two fragrances that have been on my radar, but not sure which one I should pull the trigger. Help me pick it out please.

YSL Y Eau Fraiche - So I own YSL Y EdP and absolutely love it - it is blue without being a traditional blue - has that sage note that pairs so well. All the reviewers that have similar tastes to mine make this seem like a no brainer. It has citrus, ginger, and mint - so right up my alley. Here are the notes:
1650468140366.png

Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gio Absolut - ok, this is a flanker to the classic. For me, the classic smells nice - but all the reviewers said - hey, if you like this - then you will love Profumo - basically the same stuff but amped up for performance. I bought and…..could you freaking add more Patchouli (see facetious smirk)- what are you? Some Uptown Hippie?

Now for me, there are well loved fragrances that I can understand the appeal, even though they aren’t my favorites - two come to mind especially - Creed Aventus (I get it, and I understand why it has been copied so many times - I like it, not love it). Dior Sauvage (again, I understand the appeal - I will probably wear it today -but to me, it’s like their kid was helping make it and they accidentally spilled the whole bottle of ambroxin in it. Again, it is a like not love).

Well now comes a flanker that by all the reviewers is up my alley - and not really similar to the original so it has piqued my interest. It has more citrus than above, plus the sea notes. Here are the notes:

1650468603026.png

Please Help me decide!

I’d say YSL.

If your relating of the words of the reviewers is an accurate representation, I don’t find Profumo to be a freshie…so to have something similar that increases performance doesn’t seem to fit that bill (that base note list doesn’t seem to fit either). Profumo is a great anytime frag, but I wouldn’t label it fresh.

Is it time for Brian to stop the Blind Buy streak?!?!?!?!?!

@GearNoir knows what he's talking about (expect when it comes to Bingo) I'd trust him, but if I'm reading between the lines correctly, he might be voting neither?

Reviews are all on both of them, but there's an art to reading frag reviews. Part of it is just discard ≈50% of them that don't know what they are talking about.

I suck when it comes to designer stuff, I should sniff more at the dept. store.

My vote is to get to the Dept. store and start sniffing!

I’d say YSL.

If your relating of the words of the reviewers is an accurate representation, I don’t find Profumo to be a freshie…so to have something similar that increases performance doesn’t seem to fit that bill (that base note list doesn’t seem to fit either). Profumo is a great anytime frag, but I wouldn’t label it fresh.
My bad - I didn’t represent my thoughts well - I am looking at ADG Absolu - my only experience with ADG is Profumo which was not to my liking - but I didn‘t want to hold it against the House 😂

My bad - I didn’t represent my thoughts well - I am looking at ADG Absolu - my only experience with ADG is Profumo which was not to my liking - but I didn‘t want to hold it against the House 😂
Oh I see. I thought you were saying that Absolu was a pumped up Profumo. I miss read.

I still vote YSL, based on the notes lists, and the fact that you already like at least one of the Y line. Sadly I haven’t smelled/tried either.

Is it time for Brian to stop the Blind Buy streak?!?!?!?!?!

@GearNoir knows what he's talking about (expect when it comes to Bingo) I'd trust him, but if I'm reading between the lines correctly, he might be voting neither?

Reviews are all on both of them, but there's an art to reading frag reviews. Part of it is just discard ≈50% of them that don't know what they are talking about.

I suck when it comes to designer stuff, I should sniff more at the dept. store.

My vote is to get to the Dept. store and start sniffing!
Noooooooo! I have over a 150 blind buy streak! I’m getting used to being lazy and not driving all the way to the store to smell it lol.

Me going to the mall literally across the street….all the way way over there!

1650472633547.gif

Noooooooo! I have over a 150 blind buy streak! I’m getting used to being lazy and not driving all the way to the store to smell it lol.

Me going to the mall literally across the street….all the way way over there!

View attachment 80894
the-office-steve-carell.gif

OK, I was just about to go out to Sephora, but then a friend called - so they and Macy’s are closed - so the streak continues. So I rewatched some of the videos (to include the ones that liked it) - and all mentioned Patchouli still being in the Absolu version - which to me is devil’s spit 😂. Plus I don’t know how I missed it, they mentioned Invictus Aqua 2018 - which at 51 - I am beyond smelling like a teeny bopper.

That being said - I‘m still not quite sold on Y Eau Fraiche - because I have several other frags of the same vein (D&G Light Blue Intense, Versace Man Eau Fraiche, etc)……and since the Y EdP can be worn in the same scenarios……..just like that I talked myself out of it 😂

But I was thinking - Let me get a full bottle of Imaginary Authors Saint Julep (I have a sample and love it) and get the original Acqua di Gio and I’ve filled the old man niche again.

Back