The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Fragrances im currently exploring

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
As of late i have really been getting into the fragrance side of this hobby and really enjoying all the different fragrance houses out there. I have been thinking about taking a trip up to neman marcus to check out some of the more finer fragrances they dont have at the local nordstroms/sephora, but L.A. traffic sucks so i haven't quite made it up there yet. i thought i would compose a list of frags im currently looking at.

Penhalligon's: halfeti cedar and halfeti leather.
Parfum's de Marley: Herod, Oajan, haltane, Althair, Habdan
Tom ford: tabbacco oud, tuscan leather, Amber Absolute
Zarahoff: signature tabbac
Doir: savauge eilixer
Montale: honey oud
Mancera: Red tabacco
By Kilian: black phantom, straight to heaven
this is my small list so far, i know theres lots more fragrance houses to explore. i will post here as i find more. any suggestions of things to get my nose on would be greatly apreciated. take it easy cadre!

Expensive tastes! 😜

The frag world is a fun and very deep rabbit hole! Visits to department stores and official retail shops for the different houses, along with sampling, will be your friend.

You have a lot of warmer, darker, and heavy scented frags listed. Might want to consider lighter, brighter things too.

Penhaligon’s Sartorial or Blenheim Bouquet

Tom Ford Beau De Jour or Mandarino Di Amalfi

Dior Homme Cologne or Sauvage EDT

Etc.

Interested to hear what things you end up liking one you get your nose on them!

Expensive tastes! 😜

The frag world is a fun and very deep rabbit hole! Visits to department stores and official retail shops for the different houses, along with sampling, will be your friend.

You have a lot of warmer, darker, and heavy scented frags listed. Might want to consider lighter, brighter things too.

Etc.

ill look into those for sure! for whatever reason i can never find bright scents that really wow me. i tend to stick to the darker scents. Aqua di gio and SV's 70th i really like but i havetn really found those bright scents that i really like unfortneatly. i will say tho i really love versace man Eau fraiche, i wear every night for hot yoga. keeps me smelling nice and fresh. really love this frag, on my second bottle of the stuff.

Was looking at different fragrance videos this morning and came across bond no 9, bleeker street looks like a really intresting scent. need to try this one out!

been looking at xerjoff and argos, they have some good scents and really fancy looking bottles, was also looking at centauri elixir. that one looks like really tempting, love the scent notes on it. Fancy bottle as well.

Came across some nassomatto videos today on youtube today and black afgano and pardon look mighty tempting as far as scent notes go. also was looking at Centauri oom intresting scent notes. Baraonda also has some intresting notes to it, but i havent really tried out to many rose style fragrances, might blend well though with the other notes. just my thoughts tho.

Was looking at some more videos today on fragrances and came across roja parfum's enigma and house of sillage n. 001, i like the note break down in these ones so im going to put them on this list so i dont forget what im looking. So many fragrances to get, Thanks @BarberDave for getting to go down this rabbit, love tryin out new fragrances

I've also been looking at Initio parfums. not sure if i would like any of those particular fragrances, but i really like the way their bottles looks. really catches the eye

Expensive tastes! 😜

Etc.

Just saw Chiris' post, that was my first thought as well, but of course, expensive is relative. There are a lot of less known niche houses out there with just as good, if not better quality scents for half the price though. Mancera and Montale being the exceptions on that list.
If you haven't give Lemon Line or Lemon Aoud a try.
Since you're in LA, see if you can get to a Scent Bar there, it's a niche nirvana.

I'm not sure what the situation in CA is with fragrances, living in Europe, I often buy direct from the house, and always make sure to get as many samples from them as I can. I just need to wear fragrances before I can really tell, I find it even better than going to a store and trying on test strips, but of course there's a lot of value in that too! If there's a new house that's piqued my interest first thing I do is see if they have sample sets. Often the houses will even send a discount code to be applied to your next purchase against the price of the samples.

If I buy from an online dealer, I always prefer the one's that include samples, unless of course I can get it steeply discounted.

Lucky Scent will also send samples, and might be one of the best one stop sample sources out there.

That's not to say I never blind buy, but it's an assigned risk, I have some loves and some duds. In fact I was this close to getting Jusbox Visionary Eye from all the hype, and digging the brands aesthetic, but lucked into a sample, and truly hated it.

Just saw Chiris' post, that was my first thought as well, but of course, expensive is relative. There are a lot of less known niche houses out there with just as good, if not better quality scents for half the price though. Mancera and Montale being the exceptions on that list.
If you haven't give Lemon Line or Lemon Aoud a try.
Since you're in LA, see if you can get to a Scent Bar there, it's a niche nirvana.

I'm not sure what the situation in CA is with fragrances, living in Europe, I often buy direct from the house, and always make sure to get as many samples from them as I can. I just need to wear fragrances before I can really tell, I find it even better than going to a store and trying on test strips, but of course there's a lot of value in that too! If there's a new house that's piqued my interest first thing I do is see if they have sample sets. Often the houses will even send a discount code to be applied to your next purchase against the price of the samples.

If I buy from an online dealer, I always prefer the one's that include samples, unless of course I can get it steeply discounted.

Lucky Scent will also send samples, and might be one of the best one stop sample sources out there.

That's not to say I never blind buy, but it's an assigned risk, I have some loves and some duds. In fact I was this close to getting Jusbox Visionary Eye from all the hype, and digging the brands aesthetic, but lucked into a sample, and truly hated it.
the problem with area im in is you only really have to choose from whatever either sephora, nordstroms, or whatever department stores have in stock atm in the mall and they dont carry all the fancy niche brands. For that you have to go down to the beverly hills area which wouldnt be a problem but the l.a. traffic sucks depending on what time of day you decide to get on the freeways around here. thats the only thing that has stopped me from makin the trip up that way.

the problem with area im in is you only really have to choose from whatever either sephora, nordstroms, or whatever department stores have in stock atm in the mall and they dont carry all the fancy niche brands. For that you have to go down to the beverly hills area which wouldnt be a problem but the l.a. traffic sucks depending on what time of day you decide to get on the freeways around here. thats the only thing that has stopped me from makin the trip up that way.
You might try visiting some of the places that carry a bunch of knock off or "smells like" scents to test sniff some of the current hot scents. The knock offs aren't always the same as or even close to the brand name but they often have the general character or represent the wheelhouse well enough to let you know what you might be able to remove from your list or out higher on you list.

Another idea is to get decants or samples. You used to be able to get a bunch from ebay but I think there are sights dedicated to buying and sellign decants that might be more reputable. It is often much more expensive but if you are looking to try many different scents it can allow you to get a bunch of small samples for the price of one full bottle. Then you can look for people selling 'used' partial or tester bottles of the frags you really like.

You might try visiting some of the places that carry a bunch of knock off or "smells like" scents to test sniff some of the current hot scents. The knock offs aren't always the same as or even close to the brand name but they often have the general character or represent the wheelhouse well enough to let you know what you might be able to remove from your list or out higher on you list.

Another idea is to get decants or samples. You used to be able to get a bunch from ebay but I think there are sights dedicated to buying and sellign decants that might be more reputable. It is often much more expensive but if you are looking to try many different scents it can allow you to get a bunch of small samples for the price of one full bottle. Then you can look for people selling 'used' partial or tester bottles of the frags you really like.
this sounds like a good idea, ill give this a shot.

Back