The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

For a Keto Diet Should I worry about the little stuff?

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
Hi guys, I’m just curious, should I be ultra conservative about every single aspect of sugar in my diet? I ask because there are several recipes that I make, specifically smoked recipes where I use a pork rub that has a generous amount of sugar and brown sugar. Case in point:

Ingredients​

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup American paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

“About the sugar. I encourage readers to experiment with recipes, and "no rules in the bedroom or dining room" is my motto, but I have gotten some emails that require a response. I appreciate that many of you feel the need to reduce sugar in your diets but sugar is in the recipe for more than flavor enhancement, it helps form the crust (called bark by the pros), an important part of the texture of the surface of ribs and smoke roasted pork. It mixes with the moisture and caramelizes making special unique flavors.“
-Meathead

Now at most, I would use 4-5 teaspoons. And in today’s case, I used a 7lb pork butt and 4 teaspoons. In the future I think I’ll make the recipe with half as much sugar or none, depending on your suggestions. What I’m hitting at is you’ll have a decent portion of this sugar melt off and carbonize in addition to the fact that I doubt I’ll eat the entire 7 lbs of pork in one sitting. So really at most, I would assume I could garner perhaps 1g of sugar carbs from a big sitting.
38AECA9B-D9E3-4002-8069-7728F49E68DE.jpeg
My overall question here, is how conservative should we be on the little stuff like this? I know if I were baking a chicken and putting 4 tsp of sugar on top, it would be a pretty big deal, but this is different.

Note: I used up the last of my rub on this pork butt, so I’d be open to any recommendations for a nice homemade rub.

Yes, you should not be eating sugar at all. Get one of the Keto approved sweeteners like Erythritol to substitute. Or just search the interwebs for a keto BBQ rub. Anything you could want, there is a keto version out there.

Yes, you should not be eating sugar at all. Get one of the Keto approved sweeteners like Erythritol to substitute. Or just search the interwebs for a keto BBQ rub. Anything you could want, there is a keto version out there.
Thanks KJ,

In this case, I don't think a substituted sweetener would do the trick, because the sugar is primarily for creating the bark. I think maybe only using the spices in the future is the only way to go and completely forgo the sugars.

A tiny amount of carbonized sugar from a couple of bites of pulled pork won't pull me out of Ketosis, Right?

I don't want to cheat on the keto diet at all, but this is one of those, in that tiny amount, will it really hurt me?

Of course, I can always remove the bark from a good portion of the meat and pull it separately, while leaving the delicious bark for Iryna and Nathan to chow down on. The sugar is not absorbed into the meat, the smoke and the salt from dry brine will.

@BarberDave & @dangerousdon what is your verdict.

So here is my experience...because I LOVE to BBQ!!!

If you are trying to get into Ketosis...then yeah...I would really avoid it if at all possible.

If you just recently got into ketosis...you should probably avoid it.

If you have been in Ketosis for a while (my estimation would be about six to eight weeks) then it is probably okay to have some BBQ that has a dry rub on it.

Here is the thing...you have to realize that sugar has so many negative health aspects. But a little rub on some otherwise Keto friendly food isn't the end of the world. But it also depends on how sensitive to sugar you are.

I can tell you that I have smoked pork shoulders before and smoked briskets and have used a similar rub that you are talking about...and it didn't knock me out of ketosis. But I have heard of others that were on dry rub BBQ. Ultimately it is your decision. And let's face it...getting healthy, losing weight, or what have you...is really all about trial and error.

If I were you...I would try to eliminate the sugar completely for now. Just remember staying in Ketosis is dependent upon you keeping your glucose levels at a minimum so your body doesn't use it for energy instead of your body fat.

By the way...that butt looks good!

So here is my experience...because I LOVE to BBQ!!!

If you are trying to get into Ketosis...then yeah...I would really avoid it if at all possible.

If you just recently got into ketosis...you should probably avoid it.

If you have been in Ketosis for a while (my estimation would be about six to eight weeks) then it is probably okay to have some BBQ that has a dry rub on it.

Here is the thing...you have to realize that sugar has so many negative health aspects. But a little rub on some otherwise Keto friendly food isn't the end of the world. But it also depends on how sensitive to sugar you are.

I can tell you that I have smoked pork shoulders before and smoked briskets and have used a similar rub that you are talking about...and it didn't knock me out of ketosis. But I have heard of others that were on dry rub BBQ. Ultimately it is your decision. And let's face it...getting healthy, losing weight, or what have you...is really all about trial and error.

If I were you...I would try to eliminate the sugar completely for now. Just remember staying in Ketosis is dependent upon you keeping your glucose levels at a minimum so your body doesn't use it for energy instead of your body fat.

By the way...that butt looks good!
@Spider @dangerousdon & @BarberDave thanks guys for your tutoring. In this case, I will only eat the interior meat with out any bark, I can add extra spices once it is pulled. Iryna definitely won’t complain.

I am only a week and a day into the Keto diet and I’ve only been in ketosis for 4 days or so. I do not want to goof this up, so I’ll stay very conservative. thanks for all the suggestions.

To piggyback what was stated NOW Organic makes a powdered granular stevia, as well as Brown Swerve of you like it better it will suffice, and you can granulate some BBQ Pork Rinds and mix that with the granualted Stevia works good creates a decent bark. Here is recipe for a Rub as well. Also remember just because you get knocked out of keto, it only takes a few days to get back into it, and if your caloric intake is still below you macros, you will still lose weight, so dont sweat it

Ingredients

Dry Rub:
  • 1 tbsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsbp Stevia or Brown Swerve Erythritol Granualted Sugar Substitute

If bark is the goal I found adding ground coffee to the spice blend helps to form a wonderful bark (seriously, not a prank) with a little different flavor but not a full on coffee kick. Just add a couple table spoons to a bowl of rub and apply like normal.
I don't usually go full keto diet but when I am behaving as I should I avoid heavy carb consumption. As far as maintaining ketosis, I am or was a lucky one. After a two week induction phase I am usually able to tolerate things like sugared rubs on a pork shoulder and even homemade jerky made with some teriyaki sauce or an equivalent amount of sugar. But I can't do a table spoon of peanut butter without throwing a wrench into the works. In very broad generic biological terms you should be able to maintain or at least quickly return to a state of ketosis even if consuming some amount of sugar so long as it doesn't trigger an insulin response. Kind of like you can safely sneak across a field guarded by a mean bull as long as you don't draw the bulls attention. Some will tell you that as long as you consume all of the "carbs" (sugar?) within a very short period of time the insulin response will be minimal and you should stay in ketosis. ...I think there are a few guys here that will tell you that hasn't been their experience. How much sugar and from what sources you can consume it will be slightly different for everyone and the amount/type will likely change over time, so its best and safest to strive to eliminate added sugars all together. Sadly, even artificial sweeteners can trigger an insulin response in some people when consumed in high enough amounts. ...and those keto friendly ones Dave and K.J mentioned do TERRIBLE things to me so I don't have them in my house. If I am not mistaken blueberries and/or blackberries & raspberries...or one of those berries are considered keto friendly when consumed in the right amount and right phase, and they contain fructose. Fructose is a little different than "regular" sugar because it burns in a way that is less likely to trigger a massive spike in insulin (which is why many diabetics used to favor fructose sweeteners before there were so many other artificial sweetener options).

Back