The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Fixing a Strop

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
OK, so I built my own strop. I used a 3" wide piece of cowhide belt material form Tandy Leather. Probably not ideal, but it's what I've got. (It has a linen side too) I don't know much about strops and how it's supposed to feel, but based on what I've read it is probably a little fast, without much draw (if my terminology is right).

I'm wondering, if I hit the face of the belt with some fine sandpaper, to roughen up the surface a little, if that would help make it better, or if I'd end up making it worse. Any ideas?

I'm not using it right now. I'm just preparing. Would like to get back into my straights at the beginning of the year.

Got to figure out my hone situation too, but that's another story.

If the surface has or gets cuts or scratches you can sand them out with fine grit paper or even a nail file. You want to keep the surface as flat as you can so do all sanding with a block so you don’t get high and low spots. I like to wet/wash the surface then roll a glass bottle over it until the surface is noticeably smoother.

For a fast draw the easiest way to address that is to add some neats foot oil. You can add it directly to the front or wipe it on from the back and let it soak in. You won’t need a lot so it’s best to rub it in your hands then use your hand to quickly spread it over the surface. Let the oiled strip hang several days and check it out. Rubbing oil on the back will take longer to work but it avoids spots on the front.

If you made the strop out if the same kind of leather I got you may want to do a lot of hand rubbing. Run your hand up and down the strip to warm it up and keep rubbing another few seconds. Do that every day (morning and night will go faster) and it breaks in nice.

You can also apply a layer of tallow soap. Let it dry on the strip and then buff if off.

Be careful with the neat foot oil. It is very easy to apply too much.

I have no idea on this...but thought it might be useful to bump it as others might be able to interject!

Back