The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

First Shave With The Rex Envoy

Soap Thing

Shave Member
Active Duty
13a093c415a870b2b729f6988b728035.jpg

Rex Envoy w/Gillette Rubie
Omega Evo
Proraso Green Shave Cream
Proraso Green Aftershave Splash

I am making this journal, more or less, to investigate a shave that didn’t go as I’d hoped. I used Proraso Blue preshave before using the hardware and software listed above. I had 24 hours growth on the face. The Rex Envoy was new out of the box and this was the first shave. I found it quite abrasive, a sensation I usually get when I have used a DE blade a few too many times. Admittedly I wasn’t paying close enough attention to decide if I was feeling too much blade or there was too much exposure, but I DO know there was a fair bit of razor burn after the shave. I went back over my face a few times with the razor with no blade in it just for the sake of comparison. It certainly is not as smooth as some other razors I’ve used recently. I’m 95% positive the problem was poor choice of blade. A new razor with a new blade, the Gillette Rubie, so I think I changed too many things at once. Normally I use a PermaSharp or Personna Blue. I think I will go back to a PermaSharp tomorrow and see how that feels. I’m also going to wipe down the top cap and the guard with some LPS-2 to give it some more slickness. Maybe there’s a break-in period and it will smoothen up after a few shaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hope the next try doesn’t disappoint! I think it might have been the Rubie too...it’s a pretty bold blade for what I understand either Rex to be.

Hope the next try doesn’t disappoint! I think it might have been the Rubie too...it’s a pretty bold blade for what I understand either Rex to be.

I seem to be learning that the hard way. The Rubie worked in my Gillette Tech. But then it’s easy to forget you could put a broken piece of glass in a Tech and it’ll pretty much shave you without a lot of fuss.

Blade choice is often critical with a razor like the Envoy. The other thing I tried was ”riding the cap” when I still had an Envoy. Ultimately I couldn’t get past the extreme positive blade exposure of this razor, so I let it go. I absolutely loved the look, weight, and knurled good of this razor. Seems like the few times I had a half way comfortable shave with it I was using a Wizamet blade and had 48 hours of growth. Best of luck in your efforts to get a good shave with this razor.

Blade choice is often critical with a razor like the Envoy. The other thing I tried was ”riding the cap” when I still had an Envoy. Ultimately I couldn’t get past the extreme positive blade exposure of this razor, so I let it go. I absolutely loved the look, weight, and knurled good of this razor. Seems like the few times I had a half way comfortable shave with it I was using a Wizamet blade and had 48 hours of growth. Best of luck in your efforts to get a good shave with this razor.

It’s interesting you mentioned positive Blade exposure. I got the impression that the exposure was pretty neutral. I’ll have to go back and really pay attention to that next time.

I think I’m going to put this Rex Envoy through a battery of tests with different blades. I already tried PermaSharp today, that was a no go. I think I have to agree with @Shavin’ Yeti there’s some serious positive blade exposure. I can do a shave with this and make it work but it will not forgive me for less than perfect technique. You REALLY have to pay attention to your approach angle or the blade will start digging and cause irritation. I’m not giving up yet though. Can anyone recommend blades they feel compensate well for positive blade exposure?

Can anyone recommend blades they feel compensate well for positive blade exposure?
For my more aggressive razors, smoother was usually better (such as GSBs). On the whole though, I’ve moved away from using aggressive and positive exposure razors.

Well that razor lasted all of 5 minutes. Sold it this morning. It wasn’t meant to be. I like a shave that I don’t have to think about while I’m doing it. The Rex required too much focus on a very specific shaving angle. I now know razors with a lot of positive exposure aren’t for me. It was a good learning experience .

Well, you got to try it! Glad it made for a quick resell. On to the next white whale!

Back