The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Favorite Rivalry (Non-Sports Related)

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Some photo memories popped up on my phone the other day - a trip to NYC with my kids and we were eating at a famous pizzeria in Brooklyn, and it got me thinking (I know - that is unusual for me :D) - what are the best rivalries out there. It can be anything - food (Coke vs Pepsi, Dodge vs Chevy) - doesn't have to be national - can be local or international....

My kids and I were eating Pizza at Grimaldi's which we thoroughly enjoyed- I read up on it - there is a rivalry - and right next store is another joint - Juliana's. The two restaurants are related (originally founded by the same owner, Which Pizza Is Better, Grimaldi’s or Juliana’s? - Mood and Mystery). A few years later, I took my youngest son to a Yankees game for his birthday and on the way home, we went to Juliana's. Now to be honest - I thought the pizzas were equally delish- but Jack and I decided that day - we were on Team Juliana and when we go back to NYC - we always stop and get a pie.

The whole thing reminds me of when I went to school in Philly - which had the best cheesesteak - Pat's or Geno's? Again, to be honest - the best cheesesteak I ever had was when I was 10 - my dad took me to my first Phillies game - and we had a cheesesteak from a dive right outside Vet's stadium. I don't remember much - other than we stood in line - and there only a little slot window where you paid your cash and then served your cheesesteak. It was heavenly. Later on, when we went back- we went to where it all started - Pats King of Steaks. I went to school in Philly - and never once went to Gino's - if I was in South Philly - I was getting a Pats.

Many years later, I took all my kids to Pats - we had a blast. Jack asked me about the place cattycorner to where we were sitting - which had bright neon lights. I told him matter of factly, "We're Pat's People son." When we go back - we all joke - don't even look at the people at Gino's - they are all monsters! Lol.

So my vote for best non-sports related rivalry is......PATS vs Ginos.

1624897892921.png

Another one is pizza lots of rivalries there. NY style vs Chicago

I call Italian!! ;) The photo below shows a Margherita pizza (no tequila!:unsure:) from Sotto Sopra a neighborhood restaurant that was an easy walk from where we lived in San Donato Milanese (suburb of Milan, Italy) when we were on assignment in 2010-11. We made many trips and enjoyed many pizzas when we were there.

sotto sopra.png

Boxers vs briefs
I became a boxers guy in college - back in those days- I was actually in pretty good shape (on the crew team) so I wore those calvin klein still little briefs. My college roommates strung a clothesline across our quad and hung all my underwear out. I didn't live it down for a while - I switched to boxers that day lol

Back