The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Favorite Part(s) of Wet Shaving

When you're coming up with a scent - do you have an idea in mind - or do you start with one note - and then experiment with adding one or two at a time until the fragrance "becomes"?
It depends. A lot of my newer stuff is entirely driven by requests made by TSC members or people who have bought soap and emailed to ask if I have thought to make a soap in a particular scent. I have several scents I plan to re-release in some form and/or quantity or another but a most of what I have on deck was inspired by an existing scent or special request.

What I really enjoy the most is having a smooth face. For years I tried to achieve that with carts and it never got me close. Wet shaving really allows you to have a younger looking face too. That's a detriment when you are 20 but when you get to be an older dude it makes you feel pretty good when someone says "Man, I thought your were in your mid 30's!" I was reviewing some old surveillance footage and saw a picture of me at 3pm prior to me starting wet shaving and man I had a 5 o'clock shadow already going on. Now I can do a one pass shave and have a great looking face all day if I want to. One pass wet shaving far exceeds my 3 with the cart way back when.

One thing that's changed for me recently is that I no longer feel BBS or DBBS is the benchmark. When I started I felt like what was the point if you weren't the smoothest you could possibly be, but now it's a great shave that matters. One that feels good while you are doing it and feels amazing afterwards.

On the issue of building this huge amount of shaving stuff.........I really haven't. All I really have are the things I won in PIFs early on when I joined TSC. It's not really a hobby for me, it's a daily task that's far more enjoyable. I'd love to honestly try more soaps and things, but if you know me well you know I have a lot of serious hobbies so there's no money for wet shaving beyond my guilty pleasure of buying Bay Rum Mystic Water soap every now and then. I can see how it would be someone's hobby though and the friends you make are seriously great. Some of you I've met in person, and others it's just PM conversations, but it's a brotherhood of the razor so we all bond through that.

What I really enjoy the most is having a smooth face. For years I tried to achieve that with carts and it never got me close. Wet shaving really allows you to have a younger looking face too. That's a detriment when you are 20 but when you get to be an older dude it makes you feel pretty good when someone says "Man, I thought your were in your mid 30's!" I was reviewing some old surveillance footage and saw a picture of me at 3pm prior to me starting wet shaving and man I had a 5 o'clock shadow already going on. Now I can do a one pass shave and have a great looking face all day if I want to. One pass wet shaving far exceeds my 3 with the cart way back when.

One thing that's changed for me recently is that I no longer feel BBS or DBBS is the benchmark. When I started I felt like what was the point if you weren't the smoothest you could possibly be, but now it's a great shave that matters. One that feels good while you are doing it and feels amazing afterwards.

On the issue of building this huge amount of shaving stuff.........I really haven't. All I really have are the things I won in PIFs early on when I joined TSC. It's not really a hobby for me, it's a daily task that's far more enjoyable. I'd love to honestly try more soaps and things, but if you know me well you know I have a lot of serious hobbies so there's no money for wet shaving beyond my guilty pleasure of buying Bay Rum Mystic Water soap every now and then. I can see how it would be someone's hobby though and the friends you make are seriously great. Some of you I've met in person, and others it's just PM conversations, but it's a brotherhood of the razor so we all bond through that.
Sweet.

Back to the top with you thread...

So many previously said things I agree with (helpfulness, friendship, community, variety, smells, etc).

One point that I'd like to make.

Repurposing/restoring things to their intended use. I love old DE and SR razors. There is something about them, when they are put back into service, that makes me reflect on the usefulness and life cycle of "stuff" in our lives. First to think of how I can be using a 100 year old straight razor, and wonder "why do we keep making such disposable crap now?!". Which transitions into "did your original owner think of you other than a 'disposable and common' thing?". Then to think of the history of events this common, not thought of, tool of your life, has been in existence to be a part of. Just a great thought provoker early in the morning to try and get centered, beyond the awesomeness of the shave itself.

Back