The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Favorite kitchen knife

ShawnF

Possibly Ironman
Hobbyist
Ok, ok..... We know I make them and am just an overall knife junkie....

I do really like seeing what other people have and enjoy using for different things though. Plus maybe I'll get to see some really cool stuff that I haven't seen before.
So let's see them! Custom, production, cheap, expensive... Doesn't matter, show off what you got!

So here are my favorites. The bottom one is a Cutco Santuku. This one was given to me by a friend that worked there when we were talking about knives in his kitchen one day after a shooting session. The next one up is my Wusthof chef's knife. I've had that set for right at 21 years now, and it was the topic of discussion when I was given the Cutco. Awesome knife, and was my daily driver up until a couple of years ago. The next two you may or may not have seen, but they are a couple of my early attempts. The top one is my go to use for pretty much everything knife now.

20200126_184544.jpg

So I'm a knife newb, but I did some searches and found a guy in Japan on eBay who makes "sandwich" style butcher knives and pulled the trigger. It has a custom engraving on the blade. Came laser-sharp out of the box. This was years ago and am not sure of the maker's username.

IMG_20200126_181456.jpg

So I'm a knife newb, but I did some searches and found a guy in Japan on eBay who makes "sandwich" style butcher knives and pulled the trigger. It has a custom engraving on the blade. Came laser-sharp out of the box. This was years ago and am not sure of the maker's username.

View attachment 15791
That's what I'm talking about! Beautiful knife. The "sandwich" or "taco" method is called san-mai. It is a softer steel jacket allowing some flexibility and strength in the blade without being as brittle, and the very hard steel in the core making the edge.

These are the knives I use most. Usually the cheap one. The SanMai was my mother’s and it must be some 60 years old. Both are quite hard steel. But especially Moms knife. These are amazing for vegetables. If I were ever to contract a kitchen knife this would the the first. Then a Santoku. Then... the famous Deba Bocho
image.jpg

Very nice Rich! I've been playing with the idea of making one of that style, but I haven't had the time to finish things that are overdue yet. Are those wedge ground, or chisel ground?

Both are wedge grind, and pretty thin. Moms is much heavier than the stainless one. The big one a is single grind, with the back side concave. Clearly a right handed knife. My Dad dented the crap out of the spine of it, but I don’t remember what. Mom never forgave him.

Back