The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

ETHOS - The Custom Collection

Dragonsbeard

Shave Enthusiast
Artisan Retailer
Hello all.

I just thought I'd bring you up to date on some upcoming products and Collections:

So as you probably know I've been working on a number of different products which include, Shave Soaps, Skin Food splashes, Skin Food lotions, Pre Shave and Post Shave products. Also an additive ( Ice Dragon ) so I thought it was time to post up a thread about the newest Collection and this way I can add info on how the products are coming along as far as whether they are still in the development stage, ready for sending out test samples or are ready for release.

The first thing I want to first bring up is a new Collection that I'm very excited about and it is named the " Custom Collection " and by the name I guess you can probably figure out that I'll be doing custom work in this collection. So as some of you may know I've been working on 2 Post Shave serums. One is the Replenish Hyaluronic acid serum which is almost completed and I'm just waiting on a new ingredients I've decided to add to it which will make it even better than it would have been. Also as some of you already know I'll be using Organic Aromatic Hydrosols for customizing the scent of the Replenish serum. In case some of you are wondering why use Aromatic Hydrosols to scent the products well it's a simple answer. The Replenish is a water based product so I can't use Essential oils or even fragrance oils in as you know water and oil just don't mix unless I used an solubilizer or emulsifiers to blend the two it's pretty much impossible and I want to keep this formula as natural as possible so I can use the Aromatic Hydrosols to change the scent. BTW some folks call some of these Floral water and Rose Floral water is one you may have heard of. I used Cucumber Hydrosols in the Testers I sent out but that's just one of a few I'll be offering and I'll probably add more down the road so you will have several to choose from. The Replenish will be in the new Custom Collection rather than the Pure as I originally intended as it makes more sense. Of course the serum starts out as unscented so you have the option to buy it that way or add a scent you pick out of the available Aromatic Hydrosols.

Next in line is the oil based serum and I decided to call it " Remède “ Revitalizing Face Serum. It to will come unscented and the only scent that you'd get from it comes from the natural oils that are in them. I also made a decision based on testing the one serum. I'm going to be offering 3 different serum formulas. Dry to normal skin, Sensitive/irritated Skin, Naturally Oily Skin and I'll probably add one for Blemish prone skin types later down the road. With that said. All will have the same label and I will have hang tags or stickers to distinguish one from the other. This will keep costs down as far as labels go. As far as adding a custom scent. I will start out with a few. In this case I can use Essential oils, Wood oils, Resins or Aroma chemicals. I don't like using Candle making fragrance oils in my products to be honest as I just don't feel good about using them. I know that I'll be offering the Pineapple Noir, Lavender Supreme, a blend of East Indian Sandalwood, Bergamot and Sweet Orange oil, The Agrume Grapefruit EO blend and the Dragonsbeard scent once it's been released. I can also take special aroma requests which I will address with the individual person. The price of each serum will be the same in the unscented version and an additional charge will be added depending on which scent is picked out as some aromas cost more than others and as I've said before I'd like to offer honest pricing based on what's in the bottle or jar based on the ingredients and aromas.

I will have some more updates on this collection in this thread and there will also be info on the website once it's up and the products are released.

Thank you for all your support.

Frank

Last edited:
Interesting names. Who is your intended market? These are names that would not entice me to purchase.

Very intriguing Frank as I do not believe anyone offers custom fragrances for their customers. I think you are onto something and given the top tier quality in your products you may be creating a unique trend in product design that we didn't know we needed. I suspect the customization option be available through the upcoming website which will make your job so much easier and efficient. Bravo my friend (y)

Interesting names. Who is your intended market? These are names that would not entice me to purchase.

I’ll try to respond to your statements.
What names are you referring to? The product names or the collection names or both? Every brand starts out as an idea or a vision that usually one person has and they build on that. I have mine and it’s ETHOS which is a word that can be used instead of the word Culture like you could say “ the Ethos of The Shaving Cadre “ or the Ethos of the Babershop or the Ethos of Soho in NYC would be a few examples. The line below the name says Artfully Crafted • Culturally Inspired which explains I’m using my knowledge and experience of putting high quality ingredients and aromas together to bring products to market that I believe folks either need or just enjoy and maybe both.
some of the names are reflecting the country’s, cultures and indigenous ingredients that come from those countries like Lavender from France, Mysore Sandalwood from the region in India or the Vanilla beans from Madagascar. I like the names to reflect those is the short explanation. I also believe in bringing products and ingredients that have not been commonly used in wet shaving but more so in the high quality skin care products that will benefit the wet shaving community. I also used the words Grooming Essentials as I plan on offering a complete line of products for people’s daily grooming rituals be they very simple or very detailed. I also just like to have fun with the names as you will see more of that when more Collections join the line as time goes on. So you asked about my target market. That would be both men’s and women’s shaving needs, Skin, hair & Body care. I’ve also got salons, spas and barbershops and a well known pharmacy in NYC interested in carrying my products. ETHOS is a product born out of both my enjoyment of being a traditional wet shaving hobbyist for the last 16 years, As a product developer for the last 27 years and my love and passion for creating products that folks enjoy and work for them. I realize going into this that ETHOS is not going to be for everyone and probably more so because of price but I know there are a lot of people that do enjoy the products and the idea behind ETHOS as I’ve gotten a lot of very positive feedback from those customers that have been using the products and it’s also reflected from a financial perspective by the number of sales I’ve gotten in the short amount of time since the launching of the brand. Looking ahead they’ll be Collections with product names that are reflective to the countries and cultures and ingredients of that country and then they’ll be some Collections that will be just plain fun with simple names or expressions that also reflect that collection. I’m all about diversity! I also have my personal standards and I gotta be able to put my head to the pillow each night feeling good about what I’m putting out to market! So if the names are not appealing to you and the reason the products don’t appeal to you I can respect that decision. My personal reasons for not buying a wet shaving product are usually based on quality of the products and ingredients used, performance, scent and price. Names not so much. Especially once I know the story behind a brand. For example Declaration Grooming was inspired by the Ethos or culture of the city of St Louis and his product names, descriptions and sometimes scents reflect that and I was somewhat confused at first but once I read about his story and inspiration I got it.
So hopefully I’ve given you an answer to your question.
Thank you kindly for your feedback.

Last edited:
I guess that’s why YMMV is such a popular statement on these threads. Great explanation Frank, but all I care about is the products work and smell great. That’s why I PIF’d most of my other soaps and AS

Thanks Mark for support! It is very much appreciated as you know!
😊👍🏼

Very intriguing Frank as I do not believe anyone offers custom fragrances for their customers. I think you are onto something and given the top tier quality in your products you may be creating a unique trend in product design that we didn't know we needed. I suspect the customization option be available through the upcoming website which will make your job so much easier and efficient. Bravo my friend (y)

Thank you AJ for the kind and encouraging words my friend!
😊👍🏼

There are a few. Waft, Floris, Hawthorne, Neil Morris Not inexpensive but out there

Back