The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ethos Grooming Essentials Customer Poll ( Preferred types of Packaging )

What type of Packaging would you prefer to see Ethos Grooming Essential Shave Soaps?

• Glass Jar 6.5oz

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • PTEG Jar 6.5oz

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Polypropylene Jar 8oz

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
I think it is best to get opinions from customers or potential customers so this is why I'm conducting this brief poll.

Here is my issue and my solution to the issue. So anyone who has one of my Shave soaps knows the plastic jar it comes in is a little more costly than the jar most soaps come in which are 100mm low profile jars and made of HDPE and are very inexpensive to buy especially if bought in larger numbers. I made a decision a while back that I wanted to be in a different jar and that hasn't changed so please I ask of you to not try to convince me that packaging doesn't matter to you and why don't I just use what most companies use since they are so easy to get. I have to feel good about what my products go in and the way it represents the ETHOS brand and I'll thank you ahead of time for responding with that in mind.

So currently I'm using a Styrene clear plastic jar that slightly resembles the MDC jar as that is what I wanted to use and MDC was at the time kind enough to share the company that they get their current jars from. The problem at the time wasn't the jar as I got a decent price from the manufacture as these jars are not cheap at all as they are made of PETG Crystalline plastic and are heavy duty and yet look very much like glass. Mine jars are close but when put side by side you can see and feel the difference.

Here is my problem as you all probably know soap is heated up to high tempatures and in the process I've had many of them crack because Styrene is very brittle so not only is it a major PITA to have to scoop out the soap and put it in a good jar but it wastes a lot of time as well where I could be working on other products, filling orders etc. This last batch was the worst ever and so many more cracked than before so I have my work cut out for me to transfer all the soap that were is a jar that cracked to one that doesn't have one. I've also had a few customers have their jar crack in transit to them especially before I started to put a " Fragile Handle With Care " sticker on each package I ship out now but I know that if dropped on lets say a tile floor it could crack easily. Now the good news is it is the nature of the Styrene plastic to crack but the crack doesn't go all the way through to were is reaches the product inside. It's just a surface crack but to me it doesn't look good and some cracks are worse than others.

So I'm at a point where I've made a decision to change jars as I'm beginning to run low and I'm going to need to order more jars and I have 3 choices and 3 choices only.

1. Is the exact same jar that MDC comes in which I can now get in the USA as one company is carrying it but the cost is more than 4 times what I'm paying for my current jars. So if I were to switch to these jars with the cost of them and the cost of my ingredients I'd be forced to increase the price of my soaps by no less then $2.00 to $3.00 a jar and that would be with me absorbing some of the cost at mine end. So for example the Lavender Supreme shave soap that is currently $36 a jar now would go up to $38 to $39 a jar. This is just taking in the increased cost of the jar. As you may have notice a lot of things have gone up in price. Meats and other food items and I'm sure it's because of what this country has gone through but its happening across the boards as ingredients and packaging have also gone up right across the boards so who knows where that's going and how that will effect the price of products moving forward. So if I go with the Crystalline PETG jar prices will go up but so will the quality of the jars my products come in but still in plastic.

2. The other option is to put my product in Glass. it is impossible to find a jar that is the same low profile jar with a 89/400 opening which is what I'm using now and for reference what MDC also used to use back a couple of years ago. I can get a better price on them than the plastic PETG jar but again these can not be found in the USA but in Italy. My big challenge is the shipping to the USA as the company only ships Fedex air which brings the cost to more than double what the jar costs. The CBD company I do R&D for is a world wide company and they ship all over. If I go through them they can issue out a pick up and it can be shipped by a cargo ship which is less expensive but does take longer to get here but since my Dragonsbeard soap is next in line and comes in a completely different jar I have the time to wait for them to get here. I've always liked the idea of my products being in glass as its a much more staple environment for all the natural ingredients I use in my products. The price of a glass jar will also increase the price of my soaps by $2.00 as I've done the math and that's saying I can get it here through cheaper shipping. If not it' would be even more expensive than the PETG jar I mentioned above.

3. The other option I have is using a natural Polypropylene jar which is the exact same jar as mine which comes in this different plastic. It looks different as is is a natural finish which looks kind of frosted so you can see through it but it's not crystal clear. The price is the same as the jars I'm currently using so it would not effect the price of the shave soaps but it still has to be tested with heat. I'm not as crazy about the way it looks but with the brushed aluminum lids that are on my jars which btw are also not cheap but gives the jar a better look than if I used the matching lid you can get for it in ether black, white or the natural finish like the jar which to me doesn't fit the image of the company as well as the Glass or PETG

Photos of choices to follow

So going Left to right in the photo below the Glass jar is first followed by the PTEG Crystalline plastic jar and then for comparisons is the Styrene plastic jar I’m currently using and then on the far right is the Polypropylene jar with is easy to spot with its natural finish.
in following photos you can see how the glass jar compares to the PETG as both have a think bottom. Next is the PETG compared to my jar I’m using and then my jar compared to the Polypropylene jar. Then the individual photos of all 4 of them.
I’d really appreciate as many votes as possible in the poll
Thank you all so much!

E2907A31-84B1-4604-9650-D9DBD233DE54.jpeg1A5ACF03-B2F0-4CEB-A71D-DEB01A3B8688.jpegCFFB633D-729D-4C49-AA03-C01D992558A0.jpeg9AA94F8D-2DB0-428A-9AD1-527239B8FADA.jpegC49EFCBC-5289-4F8B-8642-2CFDE821B43A.jpeg850FEFB3-4022-45E6-9F7C-C4A9A25CB30D.jpeg17CE3571-36DA-4C86-8391-FBB293D32490.jpegD227C08A-94D6-45D6-92AE-0DC291DE9986.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is something about the "mistyness" of the last one that goes with the "Ethos" line IMHO Good Luck in the voting

My $0.02, for what it’s worth.

I think the polypropylene jar is ugly. It does not look as neat and professional as the other two options.

I love your current jar. It has the appearance of glass without the weight or fragility. So my vote is for the PTEG jar. It also appears much more clear than the glass, or at least there isn’t any diffraction going on like I see in the glass. The PTEG jar is much more crisp looking.

I’ve never really cared for glass jars for soaps. I don’t really like the weight/feel of them. I’m always super freaked out that I’m going to drop one and break it. Especially when grabbing the jar with wet or soapy hands. The glass is so much more slippery than the plastic. And a fall of just a few inches into the sink could be disastrous!

A side thought.....
Since you main issue with your current jar is cracking due to putting hot soap in them, is there a way to let it cool down some before filling them? Just wondering if you’ve considered other methods or process changes that would allow you to utilize your current jars.

Frank,

I like how much thought & planning you put into all areas of your product. Packaging is important, it's the branding on a sensory level. I prefer the clear containers over the frosted. Clear to me goes with your brand image of pure. I like the larger capacity of the poly jar, but not the frosted finish. Just my .02 worth.

Frank,

I like how much thought & planning you put into all areas of your product. Packaging is important, it's the branding on a sensory level. I prefer the clear containers over the frosted. Clear to me goes with your brand image of pure. I like the larger capacity of the poly jar, but not the frosted finish. Just my .02 worth.

David
Thank you for the kind words. Have no worries on capacity as the PETG filled to the top is like a little over 7oz as it’s almost identical to my current jar but if you look closely it’s got a much thicker bottom so their may be an half an oz less at the most.
👍🏼😊

I'm shocked at how good, and close to glass, the crystal PETG looks in the pics. Wow!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think the polypropylene jar is ugly. It does not look as neat and professional as the other two options.

I love your current jar. It has the appearance of glass without the weight or fragility. So my vote is for the PTEG jar. It also appears much more clear than the glass, or at least there isn’t any diffraction going on like I see in the glass. The PTEG jar is much more crisp looking.

I’ve never really cared for glass jars for soaps. I don’t really like the weight/feel of them. I’m always super freaked out that I’m going to drop one and break it. Especially when grabbing the jar with wet or soapy hands. The glass is so much more slippery than the plastic. And a fall of just a few inches into the sink could be disastrous!

A side thought.....
Since you main issue with your current jar is cracking due to putting hot soap in them, is there a way to let it cool down some before filling them? Just wondering if you’ve considered other methods or process changes that would allow you to utilize your current jars.

Good feedback as always KJ and after much thought I am starting to lean more in the direction of the PETG based on the one thing. I’m thinking of guys dropping the glass jar on the floor and accidentally cutting themselves and maybe that along with the extra shipping costs for the customers and the soap maker is why MDC stopped using glass. I can take care of micro bacterial issues with just using my natural preservative that I’m using now so no worries there.
I already tried letting the soap cool down and I came to the realization that it’s not just the heat is when I pack the soap in the jar I think the pressure is also adding to the cracking. I remember the girl who works for the company I bought them from saying there is no returns on Styrene and we don’t Guarantee the Styrene jars. Since it was the only jar that looked close to the MDC jar as I’ve always liked how clear and solid it felt in hand.
Thanks for the input my friend! 👍🏼😊

A side thought.....
Why does it cost .02 for your opinion but just a penny for your thoughts 😉

I’m with Kevin, all factors considered, glass is too risky, and the PETG looks great. The price is hard to swallow though tbh, but that’s where you know your market better than I.

Frank just a thought,
Did you try and contact Timeless ?
They also have a plastic injection business , not exactly sure what that means and what they do there but I know they make containers of some sort

Very nice to source our opinions regarding your many options - and who knew there were so many choices. I think there are very valid economic (shipping costs) and safety (glass breakage danger) reasons that most bathroom products are in plastic containers. Like others I have no strong preference as I just want your excellent product but I think either the clear or frosted plastic would work for me.

I have been thinking Frank @Dragonsbeard about "special" soaps that I have purchased or seen for sale for $40-70 (SV, MdC, Pannacremma not to mention Sebum around $200) which all have either less or not as impressive ingredients in their products - if you need to have a slightly more expensive packaging that should not be an issue. I suspect that with the current world economic situation your ingredients (as previously discussed in other posts) can only increase in price so if the packaging is slightly more it will be offset by both the small price increase for your "high quality" product. Also any current price increases now will counter any future ingredient price inflation through the supply chain. Whatever you do I, for one, am looking forward to your next release.

Back