The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Essence by Tedalus

A while back on a couple of other forums, word was going around about a new disposable blade razor that could use a half DE, Feather AC, or injector blade similar to the old IBC razor. Unlike the IBC though, this razor was very high quality, high cost, precision made, and very good looking. It was made by a Swiss company called Tedalus and the initial run was of 333 razors. The razor was designed in Switzerland, parts were manufactured in China, QC and final assembly was in Switzerland.

DSC03741.JPG

Visually, the razor resembles a Feather DX on steroids, but it is a very different razor. Instead of pinching the top portion of the razor to change blades, one side slides off and a blade is placed in notches on the side piece and then slid back on the razor. This side piece and the blade is held in place by two powerful magnets that will prevent movement (even when you want to take it apart).

DSC03742.JPG
DSC03742a.JPG

First shave was tonight. The first thing I noticed was that despite the long monkey tail, the razor was well balanced and easy to find a natural grip. When I started my passes, I found that the Essence was closer to a regular straight razor than my favorite Feather DX. The thinness of the blade made it extremely easy to get around my face, although I did have some trouble under my nose with the blade being slightly thicker than the DX. I went WTG first then ATG and found out that I did not have to do my usual XTG pass because only minor touch up was needed. That was pretty good for my first shave and definitely looking forward to more shaves to get to know the Essence a little better.

Yeah, the original run of 333 razors was supposed to have a price of around $330 USD, but for the first 33 people to purchase the razor when it went on sale at 8 AM in Switzerland on June 20 , they got 30% off of the price. I don't know if 3 is some kind of lucky number in Switzerland, but that turned out to be 11 PM on Saturday night and so I was one of the lucky one and got a heavy discount. It still came out more than $250. I think my original wood Feather DX was about the same price a couple of years ago.

Feather AC, Schick injector, and half DE.

The Feather razors could take an AC or injector blade , and an IBC could also take all three, however not as elegantly.

So how's the razor going? I have seen one guy on YouTube that has been using it and he loves it. There was another that did an unboxing but hasn't used it yet - this and the Tatara Muramasa have really piqued my interest!

I've been shaving with mine for over a year and very rarely use my straights. Gives an excellent shave. I use it every day and love the convenience of no stropping, honing or worrying about rusting. I've owned Kai's and all the Feathers and this is head and shoulders above them. Incredible balance. It's like buying a well made straight. It's not for everyone but if you can afford it, it's a game changer.

I've been shaving with mine for over a year and very rarely use my straights. Gives an excellent shave. I use it every day and love the convenience of no stropping, honing or worrying about rusting. I've owned Kai's and all the Feathers and this is head and shoulders above them. Incredible balance. It's like buying a well made straight. It's not for everyone but if you can afford it, it's a game chang
Welcome aboard my friend.

Feel free to jump in here on Essence too.
Thread 'The 333 Club'
The 333 Club

I do believe you are the first one I’d see shape up a convexed leather strop.
I don’t know if I ever thanked you, but I use mine regularly.

Back