The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

English is fun!

My daughter was in deep thought last night at the dinner table so I asked her what she was thinking so hard about. She told me she was trying to think of a word that didn’t have any vowels in it. I answered her with a question, “CAN a word not have a vowel in it and still BE a word?” She thought “yes” but wasn’t entirely certain, yet she offered that the word must be an old Hebrew word. I disagreed then thought for a few seconds before coming up with a word that had no vowels yet was indeed a word used regularly and without any commonly known alternative that any of us could come up with. That word was “bb” as in BB gun, yes it’s clearly a contraction or initial for something but what? We buy “bb’s” for the BB gun, we shoot bb’s. There are copper bb’s and steel bb’s ...and mom gets mad if she vacuums bb’s up. Certainly whatever “bb” stood or stands for or might have meant it has become part of our lexicon and is now as much a word as DVD, CD, MP3...oh wait, more words without vowels.

My daughter was in deep thought last night at the dinner table so I asked her what she was thinking so hard about. She told me she was trying to think of a word that didn’t have any vowels in it. I answered her with a question, “CAN a word not have a vowel in it and still BE a word?” She thought “yes” but wasn’t entirely certain, yet she offered that the word must be an old Hebrew word. I disagreed then thought for a few seconds before coming up with a word that had no vowels yet was indeed a word used regularly and without any commonly known alternative that any of us could come up with. That word was “bb” as in BB gun, yes it’s clearly a contraction or initial for something but what? We buy “bb’s” for the BB gun, we shoot bb’s. There are copper bb’s and steel bb’s ...and mom gets mad if she vacuums bb’s up. Certainly whatever “bb” stood or stands for or might have meant it has become part of our lexicon and is now as much a word as DVD, CD, MP3...oh wait, more words without vowels.
Perhaps it might be worthwhile to start by listing the nominal diameter of the various common sizes of shot as manufactured in the U.S. Here they are, courtesy of the Federal Ammunition Catalog:

BBB .190" (4.83mm), BB .180" (4.57mm), 1 .160" (4.06mm), 2 .150" (3.81mm), 3 .140" (3.56mm), 4 .130" (3.30mm), 5 .120" (3.05mm), 6 .110" (2.79mm), 7 .100" (2.41mm), 7-1/2 .095" (2.35mm), 8 .090" (2.29mm), 8-1/2 .085" (2.16mm), 9 .080" (2.03mm).

By, cry, sly

All though remember the song from first grade? A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes Y. I believe in these words Y is considered the vowel. Thus putting Chris's daughter back into the quandary.

We operated under the assumption that “sometimes ‘y’” meant ‘y’ was a vowel for purposes of our exercise. I never told my daughter that my BB idea would fail, as would DVD, MP3 & CD when properly challenged. Why? Because, as I understand the rules, a real word can’t be required to be spelled using all caps...can it? Are cd, dvd & bb acceptable when spelled out in small case or upper and lower case? Is this even worth considering further?

From airgundepot.com
Where did the term "BB Gun" come from anyway? From Wikipedia: "While it is often stated that "BB" stands for "ball bearing", this is not the case. The original BB guns used the BB sized lead shotgun shot, midway between B and BBB size. BB shot was nominally 0.180 inches (4.57 mm), but tended to vary considerably in size due to the high allowable tolerances for shotgun shell use. Around 1900, Daisy, one of the earliest makers of BB guns, changed their BB gun bore diameter to .175 inches (4.45 mm), and began to market precision made lead shot specifically for their BB guns. They called this "air rifle shot", but the "BB" name was already well established, and everyone continued calling the guns "BB guns" and the shot "BB shot" or just "BBs"."

From Dictionary.com :

Words with no vowels

Cwm and crwth do not contain the letters a, e, i, o, u,or y, the usual vowels (that is, the usual symbols that stand for vowel sounds) in English. But in those words the letter w simply serves instead, standing for the same sound that oo stands for in the words boom and booth. Dr., nth (as in “to the nth degree”), and TV also do not contain any vowel symbols, but they, like cwm and crwth, do contain vowel sounds.

Shh, psst, and hmm do not have vowels, either vowel symbols or vowel sounds. There is some controversy whether they are in fact “words,” however. But if a word is “the smallest unit of grammar that can stand alone as a complete utterance, separated by spaces in written language and potentially by pauses in speech,” then those do qualify. Psst, though, is the only one that appears in the Oxford English Dictionary.

no AEIOU and SOMETIMES Y, This is not a sometimes qualifying event there sparky

BB is also still commonly used for lead weights for fishing. Not sure if I would consider it a word or not though. 🤷‍♂️

1610410269464.png

Back