The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Election Mail

August West

TSC Yoda
Veteran
It’s annoying. So I go to Senator Schumer’s office(not far from my place)and meet with one of his reps to complain. The verdict: If you are registered to vote you are afforded zero privacy protections regarding the dissemination of that information regarding mailings and a slew of other third party requests. You can only opt out if you are not registered to vote. I was also told that New York, unlike other states, does not publish your voter registration info publicly on the internet. How comforting.

My vote has never been influenced by flyers in the mail (well my trash fills quicker).

I have also never been influenced by a yard sign.

Also obligatory warning to everyone that might comment on this thread. "politics" are NOT allowed as a discussion point on the forum. This is currently in a gray area but if the thread goes south it will disappear. But hey it is your constitutional right to vote so please vote!

My vote has never been influenced by flyers in the mail (well my trash fills quicker).

Also obligatory warning to everyone that might comment on this thread. "politics" are NOT allowed as a discussion point on the forum. This is currently in a gray area but if the thread goes south it will disappear. But hey it is your connotational right to vote so please vote!
Don’t get me started on yard signs!

Every year I see the signs posted all over I wonder how much they cost. One day you might see Nurse Dave Rocks! signs all over our city.
Just get one of those removable magnetic ad signs and stick it on the passenger door of your Tesla. This is assuming it is made of metal.

Also obligatory warning to everyone that might comment on this thread. "politics" are NOT allowed as a discussion point on the forum. This is currently in a gray area but if the thread goes south it will disappear. But hey it is your constitutional right to vote so please vote!
My concern is predominantly a privacy issue.

As mentioned in my 'journal' CBLindsay's brain droppings I find the political environment and conversations about politics more and more aggravating and am VERY happy the forum content remains free from such topics.
Fortunately the various election related mail pieces don't do much to annoy or aggravate me. This is mostly because it is SO easy to dump election related mail and all other unsolicited mail in the trash as I walk in from the mail box. Most of the slates and individual promos make me chuckle more than anything else because I know how much they cost (in $ and work) and it has no influence on me.

I don't THINK our county registrar of voters sells or offers lists or otherwise shares information about the voters BUT I could be wrong. I can see how the idea the registrar of voters collecting then sharing ANY information would be very troubling. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to imagine how the information the registrar of voters has access to can be misused/abused to the detriment of "the people".

In any case, based on my own experince in politics (years ago) I can say there are 2 main ways to conduct mail campaigns. One is to purchase lists based on particular demographic data, the other is to blanket mail by zone. Back when I ran for office the blanket option was just too expensive (regardless of its ability to sway the vote), but now that California has forced the use of districts I think it might be more possible to blanket a specific district. The targeted lists were usually based on age, sex, income, etc...stuff that is collected and aggregated from a WIDE variety of sources where we presumably volunteer such information (every fill out a survey, and entry for drawing, request information from a website?).

As mentioned in my 'journal' CBLindsay's brain droppings I find the political environment and conversations about politics more and more aggravating and am VERY happy the forum content remains free from such topics.
Fortunately the various election related mail pieces don't do much to annoy or aggravate me. This is mostly because it is SO easy to dump election related mail and all other unsolicited mail in the trash as I walk in from the mail box. Most of the slates and individual promos make me chuckle more than anything else because I know how much they cost (in $ and work) and it has no influence on me.

I don't THINK our county registrar of voters sells or offers lists or otherwise shares information about the voters BUT I could be wrong. I can see how the idea the registrar of voters collecting then sharing ANY information would be very troubling. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to imagine how the information the registrar of voters has access to can be misused/abused to the detriment of "the people".

In any case, based on my own experince in politics (years ago) I can say there are 2 main ways to conduct mail campaigns. One is to purchase lists based on particular demographic data, the other is to blanket mail by zone. Back when I ran for office the blanket option was just too expensive (regardless of its ability to sway the vote), but now that California has forced the use of districts I think it might be more possible to blanket a specific district. The targeted lists were usually based on age, sex, income, etc...stuff that is collected and aggregated from a WIDE variety of sources where we presumably volunteer such information (every fill out a survey, and entry for drawing, request information from a website?).
Good insight. The aggravation is compounded in my case due to the fact it fills up the tiny boxes afforded me, both at my PO for financial reasons and in the apartment mailroom. Triggering nasty grams from the PO to purchase a larger box and come to the origin station to pick up my mail. It is a bit of a logistical and financial nightmare for me. I average ten pieces a day.

My concern is predominantly a privacy issue.
Privacy is an illusion my friend.

Big tech now collects your biometric data, secretly and without your consent.

The DMV implemented the new driver’s licenses, with the ⭐️ on it. Your pic has your biometrics for facial recognition.

Alexa/Smart TV gather data on you and actively listen to your conversations.

Law Enforcement/government previously had to have a warrant to collect info on you. Now they just buy the data to avoid the warrant.

Etc. Etc.

And don’t get me started on automobiles that can be remotely disabled. Just another form of control.

The DMV implemented the new driver’s licenses, with the ⭐️ on it. Your pic has your biometrics for facial recognition.

Law Enforcement/government previously had to have a warrant to collect info on you. Now they just buy the data to avoid the warrant.

Etc. Etc.

And don’t get me started on automobiles that can be remotely disabled. Just another form of control.
It should concern us all!!!!!!

Etc. Etc.

Google your name and weep!

Oh @August West you would be VERY surprised by the amount of information I can find about people using the internet. Remember, the internet indexes ALL content, even that which is behind a paywall, so anything that is online anywhere can be found depending on how you search and how much time you want to put into it. As a financial professional, I am tasked with verifying client identity. In years past I used to have more direct access to the tools that work magic when a series of personal identifying data is entered, now (wisely) such tools are used further up the chain from me so it is harder to use the tools in a way they weren't intended. If you are willing to pay the cost, lexisnexis is a powerful tool that can be used to find and/or confirm a ton of information even when you don't have a lot to work with.

...And I can definitely see how the volume of junk mail could quickly overwhelm the mail boxes in a PO box like setting. I visit the PO often and the trash cans are absolutely overflowing with the junk mail pulled from the boxes during the day. Such obvious waste of resources should be discouraged.

Oh @August West you would be VERY surprised by the amount of information I can find about people using the internet. Remember, the internet indexes ALL content, even that which is behind a paywall, so anything that is online anywhere can be found depending on how you search and how much time you want to put into it. As a financial professional, I am tasked with verifying client identity. In years past I used to have more direct access to the tools that work magic when a series of personal identifying data is entered, now (wisely) such tools are used further up the chain from me so it is harder to use the tools in a way they weren't intended. If you are willing to pay the cost, lexisnexis is a powerful tool that can be used to find and/or confirm a ton of information even when you don't have a lot to work with.

...And I can definitely see how the volume of junk mail could quickly overwhelm the mail boxes in a PO box like setting. I visit the PO often and the trash cans are absolutely overflowing with the junk mail pulled from the boxes during the day. Such obvious waste of resources should be discouraged.
It just feels so dystopian and alienating. Besides my family, this is really the only other place I can bounce around these thoughts. And I think they are getting sick of me. 😝 I know for certain my representatives are! All my old friends are either dead or in prison.

Last edited:
Back