The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Durham Duplex Hoe Types

Jaro1069

TSC's Cheerleader
Veteran
Okay so has anyone used one of these?? What do you think of them? I am interested in trying one of these using the AC / Injector blade hack to see how they are but if they are not worth it I really can't afford to waste the money on getting one... I have not gotten / bought the razor yet.....Thanks to ANYONE who may have info and / or can reply to this post !!

Here is a picture of what I am talking about...durham duplex hoe type-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a couple and HAVE used them a few times. They aren’t bad, nor are they supper exciting …but definitely worth having in a collection. Funny you post this because I JUST dug out a new blade to put in mine. The correct/direct replacement blade is a Personna pathology blade, it looks similar to the round edge carpet blades. I have a whole box, I’d be willing to send you a few to play with. I’d going out of town for a week so I wouldn’t be able to send anything until mid-month.

I have a couple and HAVE used them a few times. They aren’t bad, nor are they supper exciting …but definitely worth having in a collection. Funny you post this because I JUST dug out a new blade to put in mine. The correct/direct replacement blade is a Personna pathology blade, it looks similar to the round edge carpet blades. I have a whole box, I’d be willing to send you a few to play with. I’d going out of town for a week so I wouldn’t be able to send anything until mid-month.
That would be awesome. Also Thank you for the reply , I appreciate it a lot...

I have a bunch of these. I really like them. They are wider than a DE, so I like the fact that it reduces the number passes. (Kind of like the Weck med prep, which is my favorite). I've never used one with an AC blade, but if you do so, you're losing some of the width of the Durham razor.

I have a bunch of these. I really like them. They are wider than a DE, so I like the fact that it reduces the number passes. (Kind of like the Weck med prep, which is my favorite). I've never used one with an AC blade, but if you do so, you're losing some of the width of the Durham razor.
I looked for a weck but can't find them anywhere currently....

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it a lot.

Just an update to this. Thank you Chris @CBLindsay for sending me a few of the blades that are the proper current blades to try in one of these razors. As soon as I get one of the razors I will try them out and post my thoughts too. I dont have one of the razors for the blades yet so next I have to get one of the razors !!!! Thanks again Chris for the blades... I appreciate it a lot....

Just an update to this. Thank you Chris @CBLindsay for sending me a few of the blades that are the proper current blades to try in one of these razors. As soon as I get one of the razors I will try them out and post my thoughts too. I dont have one of the razors for the blades yet so next I have to get one of the razors !!!! Thanks again Chris for the blades... I appreciate it a lot....
The blades work well in the Duram Duplex barber/straight razors but finding the most comfortable angle when using the hoe type is less intuitive. Funny because the literature that comes with the duplex hoe says they make the angle easy to achieve. I found holding the razor backwards (opposite the way it looks like it should be held) makes it easier for me. They have another razor that is all metal and looks more like a double edge Weck razor, it isn't as hard for me to find an angle but its not as easy as the straight razor.

The blades work well in the Duram Duplex barber/straight razors but finding the most comfortable angle when using the hoe type is less intuitive. Funny because the literature that comes with the duplex hoe says they make the angle easy to achieve. I found holding the razor backwards (opposite the way it looks like it should be held) makes it easier for me. They have another razor that is all metal and looks more like a double edge Weck razor, it isn't as hard for me to find an angle but its not as easy as the straight razor.
Thank you for the info and the blades Again I appreciate it a lot and as soon as I get a razor to put them in I will be sure to try them..... Thank you for this. I appreciate it a lot.....

Back