The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dreams of Arkansas….

Clemson Tiger

Jr. Shave Member
So- I learned honing about 5 years ago, went crazy and got a progression of Japanese ceramic stones (lapping diamond plate, 1k, 5k, 8k, 12k, 16k)

So- my mistake was seeing if I could find something that would be a “go-between” 8k & 12k in the natty world just to try one. I found a Yellowlake welsh stone many of y’all may have heard about.

I’ll tell you what, I got this thing used & the lightbulb clicked on and it occurred to me- once the bevel is set, I don’t need the rougher / lower grit. Then it hit me I’d probably only need the 12k & 16k. BUT: I’m exploring natural stones. I’m not interested in JNATs or cots or anything- I DO kinda have my heart set on Arkansas black & translucent stones.

So: I’m looking online and find this company- BEST - and they look like they have some excellent prices- but I also know you get what you pay for.

0733E6A8-43D4-4EA6-AF7A-3328879D1D69.png

So I keep looking and I find Dan’s and Danny-boy has NASA written all over his prices- astronomical!

3159BBBF-61DA-47FE-AF17-FD8C5A08111D.jpeg

So: I’ve never done business with either place- I was wondering if anyone here has- & if so- what’s the difference in quality? There is a night and day difference in price-

Thanks for any input!

Aaaahhh- so the chore of lapping is the difference in price. Gotcha. Once they’re lapped, quality must be the same in terms of stone- I’m more generous with my time than money- lol- I’ve got a lapping stone- I thought the difference in price would be the quality of the stone- Thanks for the insight!

The way to check the quality is by what’s called the SG or specific gravity. You use water displacement to determine the stone density. With that said, I would be curious with how it works for you after lapping. I think people also recommend a lapping powder called SIC, especially for the harder stones.

Aaaahhh- so the chore of lapping is the difference in price. Gotcha. Once they’re lapped, quality must be the same in terms of stone- I’m more generous with my time than money- lol- I’ve got a lapping stone- I thought the difference in price would be the quality of the stone- Thanks for the insight!
Dan’s Whetstone guarantees their stones to be genuine Novaculite. Read their website on Novaculite 101. They also guarantee the True Hard class of stone to be 2.5 or greater on the GS scale.

Back