The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Disappointing EdT's, EdP's, and Colognes

What are some fragrances that you thought would be better than they turned out to be?

I hate to say it, but for me Acqua di Parma Colonia was a disappointment. I love the fragrance (for the first hour), but it dissipates so quickly I wonder where my money went. When mine is gone, I'll probably just replace it with $10 PAA XXX aftershave.

What say you? Aftershaves are reasonably inexpensive, so it's hard for me to be disappointed in them. But some Eau de Toilettes, Eau de Parfums, and Colognes are pricey enough to disappoint.

I'm grateful for samples and decants for this very reason. I've been pretty fortunate with several blind buys so far, but have yet to purchase anything pricey without smelling it first. Dior Sauvage was one of these for me. I had high expectations, and was considering pulling the trigger on it, but one whiff of the sample was enough to make me look elsewhere for my olfactory delight.

Just about every cologne I buy, I end up being disappointed with. I like the individual notes, so I assume by the note and scent descriptions that I will like it. But then when I get it, the combo is just not right. I really don't know how to shop for colognes, at all. Lots of money wasted there.

I think my biggest disappointment has been most of the Amouage frags as well as some of the designers such as Dior and Yves St. Laurent. Dior Sauvage, like mentioned by Eric, was too similar to Aventus for me, which I have a clone of to spend the $$$ on it. (It doesn't help that SWMBO can't stand Aventus) Others like YSL Rive Gauche are not 4x better than the version put out by Fine Accoutrements. Most of these I've sampled at a Duty Free, and there aren't many that have met expectations. The one outlier has been Amouage Sunshine Man...that was simply amazing. I need to find a soap/AS combo that would pair well with it.

I'm bummed about the C.O. Bigelow line that was on clearance a couple of months ago. I jumped on it and found 5 of the scents. Yes, they were super cheap so not that much of a loss, but when I reach for them it's reluctantly just so I can use them.

Best way is to try them in a store, until you find the right one. Apply it on your skin, and then see how it develops, and how long it lasts. NEVER try and buy in a same day.
In my experience (and market) only designer brand that has lasting fragrances is Paco Rabanne. Also they have many variants of the same line with totaly diferent vibes. For instance I hate 1M, but I like 1M Prive...

Gagi said:
NEVER try and buy in a same day.

Good Advice. I must have tried all the C.O. Bigelow colognes about 4 times before I figured out which one I wanted to buy. I like the Black the best. It's similar to Polo Black, and Polo Double Black. And somewhat similar to Brut Black. Go figure....

Unfortunately, most of what I think I'm interested in now, I have no way of sampling.

Brut splash on cologne has become disappointing the more I have used it. I know it’s like $6. I began loving it, but it’s starting to show it’s cheapness.

I may keep it around to play with improving it into an AS though, cutting in witch hazel, menthol, or glycerin or something.

Back