The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dior Homme - Iris Note Alternatives

BadgerFiend

Sr. Shave Member
First Responder
I currently own Dior Homme EDT, bottle from around 2014. I enjoy the Iris note a lot. I understand they reformulated Homme and Iris no more - except maybe in Homme Intense version? Anyway, looking for other frags that may present in the same wheelhouse and with a similar powdery Iris… so far I’ve looked into, but haven’t tested: Prada L’Homme and Givenchy Gentleman (2017 release, not the 70’s patchouli bomb). Hoping you other fragheads might be able to comment on the frags I mentioned and/or recommend others. I prefer to stay in designer territory and purchase from discount online retailers. Thanks!

@GearNoir is our resident expert on all things Dior Homme.

I have Prada L’Homme, Givenchy Gentleman (2017) EdP, Givenchy Gentleman EdP Reserve Priveee, and Givenchy Gentleman Cologne, and Bvgari Man in Black. Of these, all but the BvlgarI Man in Black the most prevalent note is iris (it is there in Black - just not the note that sticks with you).

Disclaimer - my favorite frags are the ones in the Dior Eau Sauvage family - like Chanel Pour Monsieur, Armani Eau Pour Homme, Rochas Moustache EDT, Jockey Club, and Eight & Bob. So I favor of the Irish options - the Gentleman Givenchy Cologne - because of its classic “Cary Grant” type scent - old style masculine. The Iris note again is there - but the citrus hits up front.

I think the Prada L’Homme is the most versatile (Stirling just released a very nice homage to it) - because you could get away with wearing it with a suit or with a tshirt and jeans. It has often been described as giving the feel of expensive soap. The Two other Givenchy Gentlemans (EdP and Privee) are definitely more formal - the GG EdP is more like the Dior Homme (I have smelled it) - but definitely more full bodied. While I always say you like what you like and wear it when you want to wear it - for me personally - I wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing it without wearing a suit. The Privee style does (to me) allow for a slightly more casual (blue sports coat with gray flannel pants or Khakis) - only because it has a very nice boozy note making it less formal. I can see that regular GG EdP can be worn almost all year round - I can see it getting cloying in extreme heat - the Privee is definitely a cold weather cologne in that a little dab will do you.

Bvlgari Man in Black is compared to Dior Homme because it has that Iris note - but it is more like Spicebomb / Spicebomb Extreme - and again, more apt for cooler weather. The price tag is the most affordable in the bunch - but if you are looking for predominant Iris - the others in the GG family would be more to your liking.

If it is just the powdery style that you like (Iris definitely is in its own category) -you might try Caswell Massey Jockey Club or Eight & Bob Original (I can attest to both of them, both have that upscale gentlemanly talc like note, and if you like history - both were worn by JFK, the latter because of a relationship he had with the perfumer and a request he made).

Last edited:
When I think of iris in a frag my go to thought is immediately drawn to the Dior Homme line because it was the iconic representation of the scent for a good while…and also because it encompasses my primary experience of it.

It’s true, sadly, that the current representation of DH has none of the signature iris note. However, if you’re looking for the classic DH, look no further than Dior Homme Original! If you can find it (primary release was in Europe I think, but some US servicing online stores and gray markets have been able to bring bottles over), it is supposed to closely represent silver stem 2014ish (I think?) DH, with representative iris note.

DHI is amazing, and much more versatile in wearing than you might think. It just punches up a few of the notes. I also hear that Givenchy Gentleman EDP and Privee are good substitutes.

There’s always DHP too but that’s definitely not for everyone, so maybe sample first!

I’ll back Brian’s vote for Prada L’Homme as an easy wear for any occasion except perhaps the hottest of days. But I find it’s iris not at all similar to DH. Prada L’Homme Intense however is supposed to be another good DH/DHI substitute.

Back