The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

different types brushes, how do you tell

jimmie

Jr. Shave Member
okay. I don't know much, but I know there are different types of badger, and synthetics. how would you tell somebody that knows nothing what to look for and why? I have one that's kind of gray and another one that is not LOL I am in bed right now and I don't know when they will get me up or I would take a picture. I will when I get a chance. I feel them, they feel alike, they look a little different but I don't know how to tell real badger from synthetic and one synthetic to another. I'm an infant here. I know nothing. thxs

So there are several types of badger brushes and as a rule of thumb they differ In the quantity of the hair and the knot (all the hairs glued together to make the brushy part of the brush)…….now most brushes nowadays are just fine for every day shaving, as a rule of thumb) the quality goes as follows (lower cost to higher cost): mixed badger, pure badger, best badger, silver tip badger, super badger. People generally rank quality in the softness and water retention of a brush. These are generally brown in color and can have varying shades of brown from the stem to tip.

Boar brushes tend to be less expensive as compared to badger brushes. They are more firm than badgers and as time goes on, and more usage, the hairs get split ends - which is a good thing in this case. Boars absorb less water but are better if you have thicker whiskers to exfoliate. There are other benefits -so I am generalizing. In colors, these are usually blonde hairs - but they can be dyed to look like badgers.

Synthetic brushes - there are too many kinds to name and no real rules to naming them - are, again as a rule of thumb, in the middle between badgers and boards - they are usually more firm than badges, but retain their softness, and they don’t retain water similar to a boar. They come in any color of the rainbow so to speak. If your brush is gray - it is more than likely a synthetic brush. Some vendors call this gray to black a Timberwolf knot.

Badger

1670517219416.jpeg

Boar

1670517291318.png1670517324774.png

Synthetic:

1670517406450.png

As a rule of thumb - does it look and feel like real hair - then it is more likely a badger or boar. Synthetics, though soft, are plastic.
If it is firm and bristly and blonde /yellow- more than likely it is a boar. If it is softer and brown - it is more than likely a badger

Last edited:
omg I almost feel like a brush expert now. you answered every question I didn't even have. I noticed some of this stuff though I just didn't know what I was noticing. I may take a picture and post it because I think I have a silver badger just going by the pictures that I thought looked the most like it. it was give to me by an old woman. it was her husband's and we were in the kitchen one time talking and she went and got it and had the nurse give it to me LOL and that got me wondering I don't even know what I have but it feels different it looks different than the ones I have. I know one is badger and one is synthetic but to tell you the truth I can't even tell the difference. but I can tell the difference in the one that she gave me and the other two but it actually feels more firm?.

I sure thank you for taking the time for such a detailed explanation. I can't imagine there's anything I don't know now LOL the different handles I didn't even know that there was a no I just thought it was a bundle of bristles no parts involved but of course as usual I was wrong. anything you ever think of that might be useful I'm the one to tell it to because I don't know anything about nothing. thanks again for an awesome reply I'm going to have to go back and reread it and copy and paste it in my notes

No worries whatsoever - that’s what they pay me for 😂 . Your absolutely right - handles add another degree of complexity to the mix. If you have time - take a pic of the brushes and we‘ll be more than happy to give our best guess to what they are.

Have a fantastic day!

No worries whatsoever - that’s what they pay me for 😂 . Your absolutely right - handles add another degree of complexity to the mix. If you have time - take a pic of the brushes and we‘ll be more than happy to give our best guess to what they are.

Have a fantastic day!
I'm not bedridden but I am in a nursing home and in a bed right now LOL but I was planning on taking a picture. I just had no idea that they were so complicated LOL it's a brush! but I will take a picture and more than likely it is just some regular common brush just because I haven't seen one I've only seen three of them and they're all mine LOL

when I saw how much there was to collecting straight razors, there are only so many makers for the most part, the blades came from a few places. then the handles LOL.. the scales are one of the best ways to tell the age provided they are on there LOL so many of them have replacement scales it's impossible to know, so you go by the Maker's Mark they seem to have changed through the years and ownership and what have you. there is so much to learn. but in all honest y I thought the boxes would be the next collectible thing. then I started reading on stones, synthetics and naturals, and slurries different grits with different nagura stones LOL my head started to get a tingling feeling like it was going to explode lol and then I just happened to get this brush and it got me thinking how complicated can brushes be? it didn't take long to find out, one answer, one reply and it was pretty self-explanatory that there is a lot to brushes LOL holy smoley

The key is to find out which part makes you happy and gives you the best shaves - I know it can be overwhelming when you first start - but wetshaving in essence is putting soap on a brush, rubbing it into your face, and scraping the whiskers off with your razor. See - Simple😂

We here at the TSC are here to share in your experiences and give you any guidance or opinions/help that you need. We’re glad you‘re onboard with us!

@Scuttlesoap already said the most important part...focus on what makes you happiest as you explore the world of wet shaving. Generally people will gravitate toward "higher quality" badger brushes such as 2-band silver tip because they feel good and perform well. But how you use your brush will matter a lot in determining what "quality" and size you pick. The synthetics that are available today are amazing, they feel like angels caressing your face and perform like a magicians tool, so if you are itching to pick up an affordable new brush look at some of the synthetic options (some of the guys on the forum can recommend ones they like).

For the natural hair brushes just make sure you treat it kindly and it will last a long time.

I’m a synthetic brush convert. Have a moderate number and love them each. Always easy lathering, perform well, and they feel superb on the face.

Got rid of my boar brushes…too scritchy for me. Only have a few badger hair brushes…they look beautiful but I often get disappearing lather from them so I have to load super extra long, seems wasteful.

I’m a synthetic brush convert. Have a moderate number and love them each. Always easy lathering, perform well, and they feel superb on the face.

Got rid of my boar brushes…too scritchy for me. Only have a few badger hair brushes…they look beautiful but I often get disappearing lather from them so I have to load super extra long, seems wasteful.
I have a couple boar brushes. One of the issues I have with them is they hold water and lather SO differently from my badger and synthetics I always have problems using them unless I ONLY using boar for a while. I think they work well for bowl/cup lathering harder soaps but thats it for me.

that's useful. I think I have a jar of that disappearing soap too LOL. being completely new I'm trying to figure out wth? the last time I did this it had more soap than I could use in five shades LOL I had no idea the brush made that big of a difference LOL I've only used two different brushes but now I see the difference

I have a couple boar brushes. One of the issues I have with them is they hold water and lather SO differently from my badger and synthetics I always have problems using them unless I ONLY using boar for a while. I think they work well for bowl/cup lathering harder soaps but thats it for me.
more useful info. different ways to leather. I just stuck my brush in a couple water and pushed it down a couple times pulled it out squeezed it and used it. and if you don't I didn't realize there was different ways of doing it. starting at the bottom really sucks. luckily I used to be a quick study, hopefully, I still am?

more useful info. different ways to leather. I just stuck my brush in a couple water and pushed it down a couple times pulled it out squeezed it and used it. and if you don't I didn't realize there was different ways of doing it. starting at the bottom really sucks. luckily I used to be a quick study, hopefully, I still am

I basic rule of thumb is to soak your brush several minutes in warm or hot (not so hot you wouldn't put your hand in it) water so the hairs fully absorb water. If the soap you are using a harder soap you can also float some water on the surface of the soap at this time. Then remove the brush from the water and give it a few gentle hakes to get the load of water out (you generally don't want a dripping wet brush). Some soaps will be more picky than others so you might also give the brush a gentle squeeze to express more water from the brush. If you put water on the surface of the soap you might need to dump it off so the surface doesn't have a pool of water...but some soaps do ok with a little extra water pooled on top. Begin swirling to load the brush with soap then proceed to lather on your face or in a bowl. You will need to add water to your lather as you work up the lather, this can be done by dripping a a few drops of water at a time into the lather or but lightly dipping the tips of the brush into water (you can reserve the water you soaked the brush or soap in for this part). I know it seems a little redundant to soak in water then remove the water only to add it back in again a little at a time but the brush will hold some water deep within and within the hairs so it all works out in the end. Synthetic brushes don't need to be soaked, they can be dipped in water, shaken/squeezed and go but the soaking can help warm the brush which feels good.

We have some video demos around the forum that demonstrate some version of what I just described.

I basic rule of thumb is to soak your brush several minutes in warm or hot (not so hot you wouldn't put your hand in it) water so the hairs fully absorb water. If the soap you are using a harder soap you can also float some water on the surface of the soap at this time. Then remove the brush from the water and give it a few gentle hakes to get the load of water out (you generally don't want a dripping wet brush). Some soaps will be more picky than others so you might also give the brush a gentle squeeze to express more water from the brush. If you put water on the surface of the soap you might need to dump it off so the surface doesn't have a pool of water...but some soaps do ok with a little extra water pooled on top. Begin swirling to load the brush with soap then proceed to lather on your face or in a bowl. You will need to add water to your lather as you work up the lather, this can be done by dripping a a few drops of water at a time into the lather or but lightly dipping the tips of the brush into water (you can reserve the water you soaked the brush or soap in for this part). I know it seems a little redundant to soak in water then remove the water only to add it back in again a little at a time but the brush will hold some water deep within and within the hairs so it all works out in the end. Synthetic brushes don't need to be soaked, they can be dipped in water, shaken/squeezed and go but the soaking can help warm the brush which feels good.

We have some video demos around the forum that demonstrate some version of what I just described.
I should have known that soaps would be something else to learn LOL this has a mind of its own. there's a lot of useful info. my theory of all brushes are alike is null and void LOL I was figuring there was a difference in the price I just figured that it was how soft the brush was? LOL some people learn something everyday some of us need to learn more things that we've missed along the way LOL

my theory of all brushes are alike is null and void LOL
There are so many factors in brushes that some people get all crazy exploring. Within one brush type, you also have different diameters, different densities, and different loft settings (How deep or shallow it is set in the handle) that will all affect how the brush performs. Which is why some of us have an entire arsenal of brushes. But it also doesn't need to be that complex. Just get a brush you like and use it. If you wish it did something differently, then ask us and we can help steer you toward something that you might like better.

There are so many factors in brushes that some people get all crazy exploring. Within one brush type, you also have different diameters, different densities, and different loft settings (How deep or shallow it is set in the handle) that will all affect how the brush performs. Which is why some of us have an entire arsenal of brushes. But it also doesn't need to be that complex. Just get a brush you like and use it. If you wish it did something differently, then ask us and we can help steer you toward something that you might like better.
I already learned what a loft setting is LOL and all this time I thought it was an upstairs apartment! I swear this is a hobby that never stops giving. giving you something else to learn SMH

I swear this is a hobby that never stops giving. giving you something else to learn SMH
You're right it never does! You go through phases where you will obsess over brushes. Then you get happy with what you have, then you obsess over razors. Then you switch to soaps, then aftershaves, then blades, then back to razors....... it never ends.

thanks for giving me hope that it will get better LOL that bubble busted. there is no hope LOL

Back