The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Did you CRUSH Boxing Day?

Somnos

In the Arms of Angels
IN MEMORIAM
Veteran
Well now I must say that Mrs S and I CRUSHED Boxing Day! Epic it was. There will be pics soon enough!

So now Cadre did you crush Boxing Day?!

So, i had never heard of this until the last few years. What is it?

It's not really a thing down here lol
Whaaaaaat? I had no idea! We truly crushed the sales! I only bought TWO shaving related items...Body Shop had their Maca Root & Aloe soap and splash on for 20% off but as Mrs S picked another two items we scooped the lot for 40% off! Lots of non-shaving related though for us!

As an American, I'm a bit out of touch, but I always thought it was a gifting day for the working / serving class, after Christmas. I figured it harkened back to when butlers, maids, etc were a thing?

So it's just an extra Black Friday? I don't know that we need that, but we do love our sales.

That should have caught on over here, by now. What is the world coming to? Lol.

First of all Happy Boxing Day to all of our Candadian members!

Boxing Day is not celebrated in the United States. Most American's have no idea what it is, and most would have never heard of it if it wasn't pre-printed on many of our calendars (but listed as a Canadian Holiday).

I've looked it up a few times, including just a few days ago, and All I ever seem to read about it, is that it was traditionally the servants day off with their families, since they all had to work Christmas. I've never seen anything about it being a shopping day. Last thing I read about it is a that in modern times, it is just a day off...... which seems backward if all of the stores are still open, and having sales..... then the "workers" are not gettign their day off.

Now in the US, we do have lots of post Christmas sales. But it is usually just on Christmas decorations, and gift sets, that were acquired to be sold just as christmas gifts. These are not generally advertized, or called any certain typle of sale, as everyone just knows that type of stuff goes on clearance the day after Christmas. WalMart is usually very busy that day as they clearance all their holiday decorations and junk. I bought a Pre-lit 8 ft Christmas Tree several years ago for $25 durign one of these sales, and it is still serving me well.

As an American, I'm a bit out of touch, but I always thought it was a gifting day for the working / serving class, after Christmas. I figured it harkened back to when butlers, maids, etc were a thing?

So it's just an extra Black Friday? I don't know that we need that, but we do love our sales.

Slow to catch on for sure we “stole” Black Friday faster than you can blink!

First of all Happy Boxing Day to all of our Candadian members!

Boxing Day is not celebrated in the United States. Most American's have no idea what it is, and most would have never heard of it if it wasn't pre-printed on many of our calendars (but listed as a Canadian Holiday).

I've looked it up a few times, including just a few days ago, and All I ever seem to read about it, is that it was traditionally the servants day off with their families, since they all had to work Christmas. I've never seen anything about it being a shopping day. Last thing I read about it is a that in modern times, it is just a day off...... which seems backward if all of the stores are still open, and having sales..... then the "workers" are not gettign their day off.

Now in the US, we do have lots of post Christmas sales. But it is usually just on Christmas decorations, and gift sets, that were acquired to be sold just as christmas gifts. These are not generally advertized, or called any certain typle of sale, as everyone just knows that type of stuff goes on clearance the day after Christmas. WalMart is usually very busy that day as they clearance all their holiday decorations and junk. I bought a Pre-lit 8 ft Christmas Tree several years ago for $25 durign one of these sales, and it is still serving me well.
A very thorough explanation. It is a massive sale day here in Canada and a holiday. We bought all this years Christmas stuff during last year’s sales and will be headed out again to do the same this week.

Well here is to hoping those that did partake in the sales had a good one!

The day after christmas the servant would receive a Christmas box from their "master" (their boss) they would then go to their homes and give their family members a christmas box... It is a victorian era holiday originating from the UK... Very few states in america celebrate it as a holiday , it is mainly celebrated in areas of the world that are or once were British ruled....

As a person living in the US, I too was always curious what boxing day was. Hearing that it is just another day for stuff to go on sale and to buy stuff, and a holiday no less, I'm just shaking my head. I thought the US was the most consumer driven and materialistic place there is, but this may modify my thoughts on that subject. I'm also Jewish so growing up my parents did Christmas as well as Chanukah but then realized the hypocrisy of it all and stopped the Christmas gift giving. And we didn't get presents on every night of Chanukah. Then I met my shiksa wife and I attended Christmas with her family for the first time. They had a large ranch style house in the country with a full finished basement. It was huge. She brought me down into the basement where they had their Christmas Tree and I kid you not, I'd say 80% of the entire basement floor was covered in wrapped presents. They only had thee kids. And a dog. Then I watched as these presents were unwrapped. An inordinate number of presents appeared to be old or used or both or they are just cheap garbage who's only purpose was to serve as an item to give to someone without it having any significance or purpose or whatever. I scratched my head. The whole thing was quite disturbing. Fortunately my wife had sort of warned me a little but nothing could prepare me for this scene. Now that her mother lives far away, amazingly we still get gifts that are either old, used or cheap garbage. Just less of them. And I'm sure my mother in law is not the only person afflicted with this kind of sickness. Fortunately my wife is nothing like her family. I say that in total honesty, not denial. With us, less is more. If you give a gift, it's a nice gift that has some thought behind it and is something the person can use or wants or needs. My wife and I each gave each other two gifts. Our son, does get the benefit of both Christmas and Chanukah in a dual faith household. But he only got two Chanukah presents and 4 or 5 Christmas presents. All stuff he needs. Ok. I'm done with my rant.

We always hit Target for the 50-75% off Christmas items on the 26th. Best way to buy wrapping paper etc for next year

Back