The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Diabetes Fellowship

HA! Why yes...yes you can eat B1. Well rather you can eat things with B1 in them. And what has the most bioavailable B1? Pork! Specifically the leaner cuts of pork, because B1 resides in the muscle meat. You can also get it from sunflower seeds, spinach and asparagus. Not nearly as much though...and not nearly as fun to eat. Pork on the other hand is DELICIOUS!!! B1 or Thiamine is a co-enzyme used to produce ATP, the energy currency of the body. Without adequate thiamine, your power levels drop.

Day Three - Carb Testing

Subject: Steel Cut Oatmeal - 293 grams or 10.3 ounces

Fasting Glucose - 92
One Hour - 130
Two Hour - 102

So this test was within the 40 points or so and it didn't get too high. Oatmeal might be okay for me, but it certainly isn't ideal. Of course adding some butter to it or cream or some bone broth might keep the glucose readings from going to high. But on its own, oatmeal is likely to be a no go for me...especially if you add anything like honey, syrup, or fruit to it that might jump the blood sugar up.

Day Four - Carb Testing

Subject: Strawberries - 354 grams or 12.5 ounces

Fasting Glucose - 97
One Hour - 103
Two Hour - 102

Don't really have a lot to say about this. Like mentioned before...berries are usually good to go. But I wanted to check it out still. I didn't get much of a rise. And it didn't have far to go back. Looks pretty good to me.

Day Five - Carb Testing

Subject: Cream of Buckwheat - 19 Ounces

Fasting Glucose - 100
One Hour - 148
Two Hour - 111

I figured this would happen...but it seems that buckwheat is No Bueno!

Totally forgot to post my test from yesterday...

Day Six - Carb Testing

Subject: Corn - 246 grams or 8.7 ounces

Fasting Glucose - 97
One Hour - 116
Two Hour - 100

Despite corn giving me very little response...about 20 minutes after I ate it I had these sever hunger cravings. Like...I really wanted to eat and eat now. It was strange. I have felt like that before, but it is usually when I am hypo or hyper-glycemic.

Day Seven - Carb Testing

Subject: Corn - 246 grams or 8.7 ounces

Fasting Glucose - 97
One Hour - 127
Two Hour - 145

WOW!!! I was not expecting that. When I saw my one hour numbers at 127 I was like, "okay, maybe white rice isn't so bad?" I just did my two hour test and the numbers are continuing to rise. Maybe that is my peak...I don't know. And unless I have a continuous glucose monitor I likely won't know. But the simple fact that my glucose is still going up after two hours is a big red flag. I have done an oral glucose test before (it's been a while) and even then my numbers would go down after two hours. This tells me that rice is definitely off the table for me. That sucks...because I really like rice.

This was an interesting little experiment. I am not sure I am really going to change all that much in how I approach things. But it gives me an idea of how carbs are regulated in my body. Never would have expected Rice to affect me the way it did. I start my four week Reset tomorrow and I am going for a higher protein VERY low carb approach. In fact...if anyone is interested in my goal macros, I plan to eat the following way:

Protein - 220g - 880 calories - 44%
Net Carbs - 20g - 80 calories - 4%
Fat - 120g - 1080 calories - 54%

Total of a 2000 calories.

I will talk more about it in Don's Healthy Community in the Health and Wellness Forum

Last edited:
Well Crap! The Day Seven Carb is supposed to be White Rice. Forgot to change it when I copied and pasted.

Just switched over to the Freestyle Libre 3. About the size of a quarter and as thin. Replaced the Libre which required that you check the sensor throughout the day. With the “3” it monitors continuously and is as accurate as a “blood stick” and sends info to the app on the phone every minute. With parameters set by you as far as blood sugar level alerts, carbohydrate alerts and critical high or low alerts without having to remember to check. Good stuff

On a side note. I am one step closer to being a cyborg

Back