The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dehydrator

Likely to get a dehydrator soon. I have been wanting to make some jerky from some beef heart.

Well, I was about to pull the trigger on a dehydrator and was going to buy the one Kyle @uacowboy got a few posts back. I was talking with my brother about it since I knew that he had one and used from time to time. Anyway he told me not to buy one. My brother is planning on a big move in the next couple of years and he is planning on getting rid of a lot of stuff. So he said that I could have his. I was expecting something on the smallish side. Not sure why I thought that, because my brother doesn't do anything small. Anyway...he gave me a 12 tray dehydrator that he got from Cabela's that looks like this...

1624361623340.png

The thing is a beast! My problem right now is that I don't have the room for it. But I will make it work! 🤪

Well, I was about to pull the trigger on a dehydrator and was going to buy the one Kyle @uacowboy got a few posts back. I was talking with my brother about it since I knew that he had one and used from time to time. Anyway he told me not to buy one. My brother is planning on a big move in the next couple of years and he is planning on getting rid of a lot of stuff. So he said that I could have his. I was expecting something on the smallish side. Not sure why I thought that, because my brother doesn't do anything small. Anyway...he gave me a 12 tray dehydrator that he got from Cabela's that looks like this...

View attachment 54226

The thing is a beast! My problem right now is that I don't have the room for it. But I will make it work! 🤪
I like those, but yeah they take up a ton of space. I like mine with the round stackable trays. It expands with how much you use and gets small enough to store. But Yours is a beats for sure. Enjoy!

I want to make a mess of zucchini chips. The trouble is even if I get the oven method down, a "batch" of two cookie sheets is hardly a bowlful. I'm thinking if I can just put them in and forget it, I could make a batch or two a day and build up my supply. I have read you're supposed to rotate the trays on dehydrator every so many hours so I guess you can't just run a batch overnight.
I have a dehydrator very similar to @uacowboy, the older version of the one you showed an amazon photo of (the biggest difference seems to be that mine has the heater/fan on bottom). I usually use it to make jerky (ground beef or turkey work really well) but I recently tried something new. I made a large pot of leek soup and had the tops from 4 or 5 leeks left over so I decided to cut them into 1" squares and dehydrate them, I added a little seasoned salt before dehydrating then let it dehydrate at 135 for about 18 hours (12 would probably have done the job but I set-it-and-forgot-it. I am surprised by how tasty the results are. I might do it again and grind them into powder so I can use it as seasoning. The crunch factor was there and the flavor was powerful enough to be self limiting (I didn't need to eat a lot to be satisfied). Your idea to dehydrate zucchini chips sounds like it might be tasty too, maybe I could season the chips with ground leek.

Back