The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

DE shaving basics tutorial

Yea I usually just do short strokes. But on the chin area is where is start having a lot of difficulties with the short strokes because I’m thinking may be I’m passing over the ame spot a couple of times. Since it’s a smaller section and a more difficult one, I really have problems shaving in that area. When I try shaving that area for some reason the blade just doesn’t cut the hair . I know it’s technique but I’m already 3 months and still can’t get it right. So doing short strokes there maybe it’s causing me to pass through the same spot probably 3 times before going to the next spot.

FWIW I had this same problem.

I think I said something like this before, so pardon my repetition, but very light pressure and very small strokes were the key for me, once I got blade choice dialed in.

The rest of your shave is the place to really work on that light pressure.

There are a lot of variables that come into play, that I played around with, to work out how to get through the chatter zones.

First, once that pressure thing is dialed in, is play with your angle of attack. Maybe if you try coming in from a different direction it will help.

The other is especially around the chin the angle of the face changes pretty quickly. Blowing your chin out or using your tongue can help flatten that area, and more importantly stretch the skin, effectively making that dense patch less dense.

Also experiment with the angle of the bade to your face, looking for one that makes it easier to hit that area. And keep in mind that it changes rapidly around the chin.

Anyway what I did was search for an angle that I could get any amount of shaving done from and work from there, kind of like mowing a really thick lawn.

As long as you keep the pressure to virtually none, the irritation done to the skin, in theory should be minimal. If not and you've had success with a cart. Just whip the cart out for that rough bit until you get through it with the DE. No worries it's a learning process.

One thing for sure, don't let the 3 months thing bother you, it took me at least that long, and well over a year until I felt like I k´really knew what I was doing.

Last edited:
Hello guys. I finally decided to shave and recorded the shave. I just don’t know how to do it so you guys could see it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello guys. I finally decided to shave and recorded the shave. I just don’t know how to do it so you guys could see it?
Upload it to YouTube. Then post the link on a new thread. If you change the privacy setting from public to private, when you upload, then it won’t be searchable, and only we here will see it from your link.... unless you want to keep it public.

Upload it to YouTube. Then post the link on a new thread. If you change the privacy setting from public to private, when you upload, then it won’t be searchable, and only we here will see it from your link.... unless you want to keep it public.

Hello spider. I posted the video on another thread. Let me know if you would want me to post it here as well

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back