The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

DE shaving basics tutorial

This was a great idea @Spider.

I think with this and the new Straight Razor series @HandleBarberDave is making, it might be worth considering making a new sub forum - Beginners Corner or something such and sticky these.

One thing almost all the shave forums lack is a decent tutorial section. They might exist, but good luck finding them.

This is awesome Spider! Really appreciate going through a video to help me and fellow members like me!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok from what I’m seeing. The way you say to hold the razor I have tried that but because I always get irritation and have to shave with a 2 or 3 days growth hair, when I try shaving the way you say to hold the razor at the near end of the handle, the razor starts skipping and jumping causing patches of hair left behind and cuts. What should I do then?

Ok from what I’m seeing. The way you say to hold the razor I have tried that but because I always get irritation and have to shave with a 2 or 3 days growth hair, when I try shaving the way you say to hold the razor at the near end of the handle, the razor starts skipping and jumping causing patches of hair left behind and cuts. What should I do then?

Just thought......How long are your strokes? Have you tried short strokes?

What should I do then?
Honestly, I'm not sure, I've never really had a razor skip and jump around. Once the blade starts cutting, it seems to be drawn to my face, so it just keeps cutting.

The reason we say to hold the razor at the end, is to eliminate the tendency to apply pressure. I personally don't hold it that way, as I said in the video. If you need to choke up on it to keep it from skipping, that's fine, just still try to avoid the pressure. That is all something that you just need to play with. The angle, the pressure, the razor grip.... everything is personal. We are all different and what works for me may not work for you. You just have to experiment to find your ideal setup and techniques. Just don't change everything all at one. Change one thing at a time, so you know the effect of that change to know for sure if it helps.

Part of the issue, may be your Tech, since it is so light. Switch to the 34C, and try everything I said again, and see if that doesn't help you out. And When you get your Rockwell 6C, give that one a try. It is a much heavier razor and I think that will help you out a lot.

Honestly, I'm not sure, I've never really had a razor skip and jump around. Once the blade starts cutting, it seems to be drawn to my face, so it just keeps cutting.

The reason we say to hold the razor at the end, is to eliminate the tendency to apply pressure. I personally don't hold it that way, as I said in the video. If you need to choke up on it to keep it from skipping, that's fine, just still try to avoid the pressure. That is all something that you just need to play with. The angle, the pressure, the razor grip.... everything is personal. We are all different and what works for me may not work for you. You just have to experiment to find your ideal setup and techniques. Just don't change everything all at one. Change one thing at a time, so you know the effect of that change to know for sure if it helps.

Part of the issue, may be your Tech, since it is so light. Switch to the 34C, and try everything I said again, and see if that doesn't help you out. And When you get your Rockwell 6C, give that one a try. It is a much heavier razor and I think that will help you out a lot.

Ok perfect. Next shave will definitely give the 34c a try. So you say the blade should easily glide even with a 2-3 days hair growth holding it from almost the bottom of the handle? May be my lather then is not slick enough. I do know I have really hard water so maybe they could also be an issue?

Just thought......How long are your strokes? Have you tried short strokes?

Yea I usually just do short strokes. But on the chin area is where is start having a lot of difficulties with the short strokes because I’m thinking may be I’m passing over the ame spot a couple of times. Since it’s a smaller section and a more difficult one, I really have problems shaving in that area. When I try shaving that area for some reason the blade just doesn’t cut the hair . I know it’s technique but I’m already 3 months and still can’t get it right. So doing short strokes there maybe it’s causing me to pass through the same spot probably 3 times before going to the next spot.

So you say the blade should easily glide even with a 2-3 days hair growth holding it from almost the bottom of the handle?
The length of a hair should have no bearing on the blade's ability to cut it. Your beard does appear to be quite coarse, and maybe to are dulling the blades faster.

May be my lather then is not slick enough. I do know I have really hard water so maybe they could also be an issue?
Could be. Try adding more water, and see if you can get a slicker lather. I'd definitely recommend trying a different soap. That could be the key detail there. You wont know until you try.

The length of a hair should have no bearing on the blade's ability to cut it. Your beard does appear to be quite coarse, and maybe to are dulling the blades faster.

Ok so maybe try a sharp blade? Feather? Or something in that line that is a little more forgiving.

Could be. Try adding more water, and see if you can get a slicker lather. I'd definitely recommend trying a different soap. That could be the key detail there. You wont know until you try.

Which soap would you recommend? For my birthday I also receive a couple of new soaps.
I have:
- No. 63 soap
- Phoenix Gondolier
- D.R. Harris & Co Arlington
- Razorock La Famiglia

Thanks again spider

The only one of those I have is No 63. I love it. But Razorock makes good soaps too. I'd actually probably go with the Razorock to start. It's probably the easiest to lather of those.

The only one of those I have is No 63. I love it. But Razorock makes good soaps too. I'd actually probably go with the Razorock to start. It's probably the easiest to lather of those.

Perfect really appreciate your help! I will also try and record so you guys could see what I’m doing wrong. Never done it before so bare with me plz

Thanks again! Can’t wait to shave again

Perfect really appreciate your help! I will also try and record so you guys could see what I’m doing wrong. Never done it before so bare with me plz

Thanks again! Can’t wait to shave again

We are definitely not going to give you grief over the quality of video OR your technique. PLEASE be sure to keep your shirt on during the shave so the shave is the focus not your superman chest. If you upload to youtube and make the video hidden you can ensure only those who are viewing the forum can find your video.

I am excited to have you post a video as a frustrated newbie, I think your video and the series of responses will help you AND be a huge value to other new shavers.

As far as soaps go you have some good soaps. I would think the easiest to lather into great lather would be the Razorock. The D.R.Harris is great stuff but being a hard soap you need to bloom it and load longer to get enough soap. Harder soaps generally require a different approach but they can offer a great lather.

The skipping and jumping of the blade is not a unique newbie problem, I have heard others mention the same issue. The solution depends on the why, a poor lather can result in skipping, dragging or tugging, a poor angle can do the same but there is a pretty wide range of angles that will "grab" and cut.

You will figure it out, I am sure of that.

We are definitely not going to give you grief over the quality of video OR your technique. PLEASE be sure to keep your shirt on during the shave so the shave is the focus not your superman chest. If you upload to youtube and make the video hidden you can ensure only those who are viewing the forum can find your video.

I am excited to have you post a video as a frustrated newbie, I think your video and the series of responses will help you AND be a huge value to other new shavers.

As far as soaps go you have some good soaps. I would think the easiest to lather into great lather would be the Razorock. The D.R.Harris is great stuff but being a hard soap you need to bloom it and load longer to get enough soap. Harder soaps generally require a different approach but they can offer a great lather.

The skipping and jumping of the blade is not a unique newbie problem, I have heard others mention the same issue. The solution depends on the why, a poor lather can result in skipping, dragging or tugging, a poor angle can do the same but there is a pretty wide range of angles that will "grab" and cut.

You will figure it out, I am sure of that.

Will definitely make sure to shave with shirt on lol. Have never done that as well so hopefully it will go well.
Have never added a video to YouTube but will do it as well as a hidden video so only you guys could see. Hopefully it will also help newbies like myself with the critiques and suggestions.

Also I don’t think anyone has mentioned map your beard growth direction. I used one of the cotton round pads my wife removes makeup with but a standard cotton ball should be just fine as well. If you assume your beard grows N-S direction on the spots you are getting irritated and it actually grows E-W or W-E or S-N then you may actually not be shaving with the grain but either across or against the grain.

Also I don’t think anyone has mentioned map your beard growth direction. I used one of the cotton round pads my wife removes makeup with but a standard cotton ball should be just fine as well. If you assume your beard grows N-S direction on the spots you are getting irritated and it actually grows E-W or W-E or S-N then you may actually not be shaving with the grain but either across or against the grain.

Definitely have one.

a93e007537881bb6ee0184f2000de548.jpg

Hello guys. Just wanted to let you know that I still havent been able to shave and make the video. I had to go out of town this week for business but hopefully Monday I will be able to make the video and send it.

Thanks again!

Back