The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

DE Razor of the Day

I was a bit conflicted as to what I'd use this morning. The Osprey, for my second shave with my newest razor, the razor that could be The One to rule them all and in the darkness bind them?

Or another go with either the Yaqi Ultima or TFC, which I recently upgraded with 15mm compression springs? Which should improve blade clamping and rigidity far better at the higher settings than the supplied 10mm springs?

Also in consideration was a second go with my Schick Hydra-Magic with the stunningly good Chinese blade?
20240816_100052.jpg
I finally decided on the Rockwell 6C, with the "5" plate and a new Suneko blade.

Not a lot of experience with the 6C, as I mislaid the top cap and only replaced it last week. Of the six or so Chinese DE blades I've tried, the Suneko is the best, and is possibly the best made in China. I haven't tried their KCGs yet, though...

Three passes and no tugging even with nearly 72 hours since my last shave. Sunekos are sharp. Smooth enough, but my face is still tingly nearly an hour later, as I was definitely applying pressure.

Followed up by an alum rub, witch hazel, a Clubman Lilac Vegetal.

20240819_093326.jpg

Second go with the Osprey, this time set to "7" with a new Suneko blade. Last time was "4" with a Lab Blue.

Close shave, but this time with like 4 or 5 weepers on my neck. The razor is deceptively smooth and did not feel appreciably more "dangerous" at 7 than it did at 4. Definitely should try less pressure next time. Still, the weepers stopped by the time I was done or were ultimately stopped by the alum.

20240824_142859.jpg

First go around with my Yaqi Ultima since upgrading it with a 15mm compression spring. Blade was a new Derby Premium.

Looks like the trade off for a stiffer compression spring was it cost me half a setting at the low end. "1.5" is now the lowest setting. Oh well, better blade clamping and rigidity at all settings is a trade I'll make.

I was going to chase bbs, but after three passes it just wasn't necessary. No weepers this time, which might be a first for me with this efficient, aggressive razor. I decided to stop while ahead.

Back