The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

DE Razor Lubricant

The beauty of using the vintage Gillette DE razors is that they were designed and manufactured to work without the use of lubricant. The tighter tolerances are timeless and flawless. If you're having trouble with a newer razor, try a small drop of lube. But if you want a maintenance free, fool-proof, easy-peasy, no-brainer razor....Gillette is your go-to.

The beauty of using the vintage Gillette DE razors is that they were designed and manufactured to work without the use of lubricant. The tighter tolerances are timeless and flawless. If you're having trouble with a newer razor, try a small drop of lube. But if you want a maintenance free, fool-proof, easy-peasy, no-brainer razor....Gillette is your go-to.
They are pretty tough. I found a blue tip about eight years back at an antique store that was pretty dirty. I paid two dollars. Did the scrubbing bubble thing and gifted it to a nephew. Still in use today. No problem.

I have had a few very stubborn Fat Boys (no jokes please) and even taken a few apart to do repairs and more thorough cleanings. One in particular was stuck together very badly, I tried soaking in soap and even tried boiling in soapy water...nothing. What finally did the job for me was good old PB blaster. Most razors just need a spritz of scrubbing bubbles to remove all the soap scum, anything with moving parts inside gets a soak in scrubbing bubbles liquid (spray bottle) then a good rinse. I have used a silicone lubricant on my razors (straight) to prevent rust but I found soaking them in a Barbicide/alcohol mixture then wiping dry works as good as wiping down with a lubricant.
Thanks for the advice Chris. I've read a few other success stories using scrubbing bubbles on stuck DE razors.

Back