The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

DE Razor Lubricant

sterista

Shave Newbie
Veteran
First Responder
Based on most of the information I've found from other sources, mineral oil is the lubricant recommended the most for use on DE razors mainly due to it being food safe. I recently picked up a tube of this silicone based lubricant to use on a squeaky kitchen appliance. Because it's also food safe I'm wondering if it might be a good option for razors. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? What do you think?

20210914_161219.jpg

What do you need lubricant for, for a DE razor?

A good slick soap is all the lubricant I need! ;)

What do you need lubricant for, for a DE razor?

A good slick soap is all the lubricant I need! ;)
Merkur recommends lubricating the mechanical parts of their razors regularly although there is debate as to what lubricant to use. The TTO knob on my Vikings Blade Chieftain stiffens up a bit at times. I find mineral oil helps a little but it doesn't last very long. A drop or 2 of mineral oil keeps the mechanical parts of my slim adjustable working well, particularly in an area like mine with very hard water. I'm wondering if a lubricant like the one pictured would have a bit more staying power while still being food safe.

I’d say the source you found were more of a case of “if you search for something on the internet you’ll find it” 😂

I don’t mean that in a disparaging way toward you, just that it’s what happens. I would not use anything to lubricate any of my razors. There’s more of a chance the lubricant will attract/trap debris/moisture and gum up the works than do anything else.

IMO Better just to do a regular cleaning, most times with a rag, sometimes with Dawn soap and warm water and a soft bristled brush. The only thing I do daily is dip the razor used in to some alcohol to help clear out the water faster.

@sterista I think I used the same or similar silicone lubricant on my future, slim, Fatboy, and single ring, back when I used a DE. It helps a bit, but not all that much better than mineral oil. Honestly though, after a while, I gave up on it unless the tto knob was really squeaky. Like @Spider said, it couldn’t hurt!

@GearNoir said exactly the reason I stopped trying to lubricate tto knobs. A cleaning and a good soak in soapy water usually fixes all that ales a well used razor. Also, I had my Fatboy slip out of my fingers onto the bath mat and attributed the accident to too much oil.

Let us know how it works and happy shaves!

Matt

I’d say the source you found were more of a case of “if you search for something on the internet you’ll find it” 😂

I don’t mean that in a disparaging way toward you, just that it’s what happens. I would not use anything to lubricate any of my razors. There’s more of a chance the lubricant will attract/trap debris/moisture and gum up the works than do anything else.

IMO Better just to do a regular cleaning, most times with a rag, sometimes with Dawn soap and warm water and a soft bristled brush. The only thing I do daily is dip the razor used in to some alcohol to help clear out the water faster.
Thanks GearNoir. You are correct. I followed some rogue advice from the internet once several years ago and am lucky it didn't result in personal injury. I take anything I read online now with a grain of salt so no offense taken. :)

With the exception of dipping in alcohol I do everything you do on a frequent basis. I dry them carefully and leave them open/disassembled for several hours before putting them away. I use a little mineral oil mainly on the threads of 2 and 3 piece razors when I put them back together for storage. My interest in a good lubricant is mainly with the stiff TTO knob on my Chieftain razor. As I mentioned, a little mineral oil works just not for very long.

@sterista I think I used the same or similar silicone lubricant on my future, slim, Fatboy, and single ring, back when I used a DE. It helps a bit, but not all that much better than mineral oil. Honestly though, after a while, I gave up on it unless the tto knob was really squeaky. Like @Spider said, it couldn’t hurt!

@GearNoir said exactly the reason I stopped trying to lubricate tto knobs. A cleaning and a good soak in soapy water usually fixes all that ales a well used razor. Also, I had my Fatboy slip out of my fingers onto the bath mat and attributed the accident to too much oil.

Let us know how it works and happy shaves!

Matt
Thanks Matt. I haven't tried a little soaking and a good scrubbing of the knob area with dish soap and an old toothbrush. I'll give that a try first before testing out the new lubricant.

Thanks GearNoir. You are correct. I followed some rogue advice from the internet once several years ago and am lucky it didn't result in personal injury.I take anything I read online now with a grain of salt so no offense taken.
Hahaha at one point I did the same and thought it was the lap of luxury to slather Nivea all over my face before brushing on lather…. Good times 😂

Hahaha at one point I did the same and thought it was the lap of luxury to slather Nivea all over my face before brushing on lather…. Good times 😂
For me it was someone who suggested I try to fix my clogged paper shredder by blasting the feeder slot with a few burst of canned air. After completing the "repair" I switched it on and "BOOM!" The little explosion lifted the 6 pound shredder head about an inch or two into the air before crashing back down onto the basket. Yep. Had I taken the time to look I would've seen the image of an aerosol can with a circle and line through it right near the paper slot. I forgot canned air is not literally air but the same flammable propellants found in any aerosol product. I unplugged my now smoking shredder head, tossed it outside, cracked open a beer, and sat on the floor counting my fingers to make sure they were all there. We live and learn.

For me it was someone who suggested I try to fix my clogged paper shredder by blasting the feeder slot with a few burst of canned air. After completing the "repair" I switched it on and "BOOM!" The little explosion lifted the 6 pound shredder head about an inch or two into the air before crashing back down onto the basket. Yep. Had I taken the time to look I would've seen the image of an aerosol can with a circle and line through it right near the paper slot. I forgot canned air is not literally air but the same flammable propellants found in any aerosol product. I unplugged my now smoking shredder head, tossed it outside, cracked open a beer, and sat on the floor counting my fingers to make sure they were all there. We live and learn.
Wow that sounds like an intensely dumb situation I’d get myself into as well… Really glad you weren’t worse for wear! Believe it or not, I just bought a paper shredder yesterday… You may have just prevented an accident! 😝

Awesome!

Thanks GearNoir. You are correct. I followed some rogue advice from the internet once several years ago and am lucky it didn't result in personal injury. I take anything I read online now with a grain of salt so no offense taken. :)

With the exception of dipping in alcohol I do everything you do on a frequent basis. I dry them carefully and leave them open/disassembled for several hours before putting them away. I use a little mineral oil mainly on the threads of 2 and 3 piece razors when I put them back together for storage. My interest in a good lubricant is mainly with the stiff TTO knob on my Chieftain razor. As I mentioned, a little mineral oil works just not for very long.

I agree with GearNoir, particularly when it comes to vintage Gillettes. For stuck TTO knobs on Gillettes, Captain Murphy once recommended Bar Keepers Friend. Coat the adjustment knob and get it into the bottom of the knob as well and work it back and forth for a while. That should break up and remove any soap scum or limescale build up. Rinse well and repeat as needed. I think the Viking razors have a coating of some sort. That's the only thing I would worry about with that solution.

I ordered my wife on the Internet.
And what a mistake that was!

woman-girl.gif

I agree with GearNoir, particularly when it comes to vintage Gillettes. For stuck TTO knobs on Gillettes, Captain Murphy once recommended Bar Keepers Friend. Coat the adjustment knob and get it into the bottom of the knob as well and work it back and forth for a while. That should break up and remove any soap scum or limescale build up. Rinse well and repeat as needed. I think the Viking razors have a coating of some sort. That's the only thing I would worry about with that solution.
That's an interesting solution. If a light scrub with a toothbrush and dish soap doesn't work this is an option. Thank you. :)

I have had a few very stubborn Fat Boys (no jokes please) and even taken a few apart to do repairs and more thorough cleanings. One in particular was stuck together very badly, I tried soaking in soap and even tried boiling in soapy water...nothing. What finally did the job for me was good old PB blaster. Most razors just need a spritz of scrubbing bubbles to remove all the soap scum, anything with moving parts inside gets a soak in scrubbing bubbles liquid (spray bottle) then a good rinse. I have used a silicone lubricant on my razors (straight) to prevent rust but I found soaking them in a Barbicide/alcohol mixture then wiping dry works as good as wiping down with a lubricant.

Back