The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Damascus steel razors

It's in his fine print you quoted.....Razor Shaped Objects = just looks like a razor
Thanks, Dave. They represent two more straight razors than I ever wanted. If they turn out to be duds, no skin off my nose! They were a gift. Even the evaluation by Glenn is paid for by my son. It’s a win-win. If they turn out to be shaveable, I‘ll probably use them, if not I‘ll display them as RSOs. :)

Thanks, Dave. They represent two more straight razors than I ever wanted. If they turn out to be duds, no skin off my nose! They were a gift. Even the evaluation by Glenn is paid for by my son. It’s a win-win. If they turn out to be shaveable, I‘ll probably use them, if not I‘ll display them as RSOs. :)
Sounds like a good plan, but I hope they are winners for shaving ad serve you well.

No I've never tried shaving with it but I'm sure that the picture will be appreciated by all

I found this Damascus and Ivory folder by an unknown knifemaker at a Flea Market years back. On a whim I bought it. I then looked for someone to scrimshaw it and was given two names, one very well known "artist" and a second who was just starting out. For monetary reasons I chose the guy who was starting out.

Fast track years later, The knifemaker has got a little more famous but the scrimshaw guy, well I'm not sure that I could afford him anymore....

Knife.jpg

Rarely shave with a straight these days Still have my full set of Shapton Glass stones, Boker Damascus razors and all manner of expensive straight equipment

Well to catch folks up on this old thread, I now own two of a Victor Creazzi’s razors and love them. Victor has solved the major problem with Damascus razors. pattern-welded Damascus consists of different steels forge-welded together. As a result, many Damascus edges suffer from micro forge welds in the edge. Victor Creazzi has solved this problem by forge welding a piece of 1095 steel into his Damascus billet to serve as a dedicated edge. The edge he provides on this monosteel insert I find to be comparable to a Feather Super AC blade. I now own two of his razors and love them!
1EEA9FFA-25AE-45B8-86CD-A6D82310D517.jpeg
D90A5D9A-51B5-49EC-8C58-BD8575AD827E.jpeg

Time to jump in Kyle and get yourself an anvil and forge. Here's a good video on a decent starter anvil. I thought these anvils were pretty much junk until I saw this video from a trusted blacksmith.
Speaking of ~66 lb anvils, I recently used an Atlas anvil at Howard Clark's class that I was very impressed with. It was designed specifically to be that weight so that it could ship at USPS flat rate. The anvil has no horn and only a hardy hole and all of the mass is under the striking surface. It is dressed with the three straight edges, square, slightly rounded, and rounded. If I owned one I would slightly round most of the square edge too, as I found working around the square edge to be a bit cumbersome, but a minute with a side grinder would cure that issue. I was doing a lot of heavy work with a 4 lb hammer and the anvil worked admirably for its weight.

Speaking of ~66 lb anvils, I recently used an Atlas anvil at Howard Clark's class
Yup, the horn on the anvil is a rather new feature in the history of anvils. Most to the older European anvils from the dark ages were square and without a horn. One reason these types of anvils work well is that all the mass of the anvil is right under the striking point. I rather like having a horn on my anvils. I've used it for so many different forging techniques, but yes you can get along quite nicely with a hornless anvil.

Speaking of ~66 lb anvils, I recently used an Atlas anvil at Howard Clark's class that I was very impressed with. It was designed specifically to be that weight so that it could ship at USPS flat rate. The anvil has no horn and only a hardy hole and all of the mass is under the striking surface. It is dressed with the three straight edges, square, slightly rounded, and rounded. If I owned one I would slightly round most of the square edge too, as I found working around the square edge to be a bit cumbersome, but a minute with a side grinder would cure that issue. I was doing a lot of heavy work with a 4 lb hammer and the anvil worked admirably for its weight.
I've been looking at those and really thinking about getting one. Never could find anyone that had or used one to find out how efficient they were due to the smaller size though. Saw one at the meet in Reynoldsville, but the demonstrator wasn't at the booth to talk to.

I've been looking at those and really thinking about getting one. Never could find anyone that had or used one to find out how efficient they were due to the smaller size though. Saw one at the meet in Reynoldsville, but the demonstrator wasn't at the booth to talk to.
If I needed an anvil I would buy one in a minute. Also something to keep in mind for when my anvil gets too heavy to move around. Every year when I load it up to take to the meet it's heavier.

Back