The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Damascus steel razors

Erchy

Jr. Shave Member
Damascus steel straight razors....

Worth it ??

Any difference to the shave??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damascus steel straight razors....

Worth it ??

Any difference to the shave??

Pretty much the same as any other razor as far as the shave. It all depends on the grind and the steel used to determine the edge it is capable of holding.

The real difference is the looks and the amount of time and effort put into making the pattern welded steel. If the maker makes his own pattern welded steel, there is a lot of work that goes into it. (Especially in a small home forge.) Even if they purchase pre-made billets, the cost of materials is much higher because of the extra work that was already done before they start.

Pretty much the same as any other razor as far as the shave. It all depends on the grind and the steel used to determine the edge it is capable of holding.

The real difference is the looks and the amount of time and effort put into making the pattern welded steel. If the maker makes his own pattern welded steel, there is a lot of work that goes into it. (Especially in a small home forge.) Even if they purchase pre-made billets, the cost of materials is much higher because of the extra work that was already done before they start.

Thanks

My RAD radar is bleeping so im looking for a new razor. Lol

Thanks

My RAD radar is bleeping so im looking for a new razor. Lol

The biggest thing to watch is how the pattern is done. There are at least two different alloy steels in Damascus (pattern welding). This is what makes the pattern show when the steel is acid etched as the different alloys take a different color. If this pattern carries all the way to the edge, there is a possibility that they may hone differently such as wearing at different speeds.
Theoretically the carbon migration should account for this, but it all depends on the quality of the billet.

Damascus is BEAUTIFUL stuff for sure. I think Shawn has said all that needs to be said about the characteristics that might impact or improve the shave. If you were someone who was going to own just one or two great razors I see no reason not to make one of them a custom Damascus.

Damascus, San Mai, Wootz, PWS, etc. It's all pretty confusing to me.
True Damascus steel was a crucible steel smelted in the middle east and was advanced for it's time. Damascus is now used as a blanket term for pattern welded steel.
Wootz steel is another form of crucible steel. The main differences are the ore used and the pattern that develops as a result. Same with Tamahagane.
San Mai is a technique. You take your harder steel and sandwich it between (normally) softer steel. This leaves you a hard cutting edge but more strength as it is surrounded by a softer less brittle steel.

Hope that helps a little.

Time to jump in Kyle and get yourself an anvil and forge. Here's a good video on a decent starter anvil. I thought these anvils were pretty much junk until I saw this video from a trusted blacksmith.

I actually just watched a video about those anvils too. If I had the time I could figure out the space and money part I'm sure. Once the kids are in school or I move to a position with a less crazy schedule I will probably give it a go. For now I just really enjoy watching it because how could you not?

I actually just watched a video about those anvils too. If I had the time I could figure out the space and money part I'm sure. Once the kids are in school or I move to a position with a less crazy schedule I will probably give it a go. For now I just really enjoy watching it because how could you not?

You can learn a lot from watching videos. All that knowledge will be up in your head so when the time comes to try it, things will fall together for you quickly. I totally get the money side of things. If I didn't chip arrowheads and stuff there's no way I could have afforded to buy all the blacksmithing tools. Teaching classes in primitive skills and sales from the flintknapping totally paid for my anvils and tools but it's taken me quite a few years to get there.

My son ordered two damascus razors for me fobFather’s Day from a custom knife maker he’s bought from before. I have concerns about the bevel and how well honed they are. I’m sending them both off to Gem Star Customs for evaluation. View attachment 28500
Those look nice. Here's hoping they don't end up being RSOs

(thats Razor Shaped Objects)

Back