The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cut the Cord

I just stream through my Sony BluRay player. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a Disney+ app, so I need to connect the computer to the TV when we stream that.

Comcast is the only non-satellite cable provider in our area. We got rid of them for all but internet service about a year ago. Unfortunately there are no other options for high speed internet here either, otherwise we would’ve scrapped that too.

To replace Comcast, we have Netflix, Hulu Live, and Disney+. Up until December all we had were Netflix and Hulu Live. We realized that most of The shows we like to watch we can find on Hulu or Netflix, and Hulu Live gets me all of my local sports teams.

My main concern was losing Phillies baseball, as they have a TV contract with Comcast (so do the Flyers and Sixers). About 95% of their games are broadcast on a Comcast owned sports channel, and are blacked out locally through MLBTV. Even the opposing team’s broadcast would be blacked out. Then I found out that Hulu carries this particular channel. I believe YouTube Tv might also carry it. Aside from the NFL, local sports can be kind of tricky when cutting the cord.

All in all we’re happy with the choices we have. And we save about $100/month compared to what we were previously paying the evil empire known as Comcast.

Yes my biggest struggle was Jazz Games. But I got that figured out now. Although not all that legal I'll be honest. I NBA tv contracts will be renegotiated in I think two seasons. Hopefully they are more internet tv friendly like the other leagues I like to watch, as I would prefer to not be in a gray area

I did the same thing back in October when Directv got into a pissing match with Altitude sports and blocked Colorado Avalanche games from being shown. I had been with DTV for 19 years and that was the final straw. I figured out a way to buy the NHL package and use a SmartDNS service to get around the NHL blackout restrictions for in market games. I watch hockey games now when I’m in Germany 🤣. Cutting the cord was a great thing for us to do.
We also use YouTubeTV, Netflix, and ROKU channels. I was surprised with the amount of sports programming that YouTubeTV offers.

Last edited:
Back