The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Current state of Wet Shaving

After a spending/acquisition spree of about 5 years, with 30 razors, a dozen brushes, a pile of soaps, creams and enough blades to last me to retirement, I slowed down a lot. Last purchases were CBL soaos, early last year.
I look around the fora and see nothing that really sparks my interest any more. I never saw a need to spend 3 figures on a new razor, and I have precisely one brush that skirted that number. Acquisition Disorders are vanquished.
I wouldn't like to be starting now, too many choices, too many temptations.

If course it doesn't help that since pandemic I've been shaving once a week, went back to beard and grew my hair again. Laziness took over. I still really enjoy a good shave experience, and it's about time my 1914 got a work out. Maybe some Coates cream or some Mystic Water, a fresh Gem blade and one of the truly nice synths can get a dusting off today.

Happy shaving all y'all.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Back in the day, razor options were few. You had a few modern razors, but the biggest thing to do was to try out as many vintage razors as you could and find the ones you like best. Most folks flocked to the vintage scene because they were a bargain, and they worked. Now it seems everyone wants modern, and the choices are staggering. It seems every week I read about a brand of razor I've never heard of. And for me, it's offputting... it's just too much.

Does this mean I can buy a Streamline without a second mortgage now? Or is that just wishful thinking? [emoji4]

Does this mean I can buy a Streamline without a second mortgage now?
I’m not saying the vintage market has declined, just that most new wet shavers seek out the new razors first, and sometimes eventually branch to vintage.

By the way, my two cased streamlines cost me about $20 ea.... back in the day.

I’m not saying the vintage market has declined, just that most new wet shavers seek out the new razors first, and sometimes eventually branch to vintage.

By the way, my two cased streamlines cost me about $20 ea.... back in the day.

I remember passing up a Streamline because it was 50 bucks and I was used to ERs off ebay for under 15.
I was young and foolish.

Looking at the prices of the vintage razors on auction sites, retailers, etc. It seems to me that the market for vintage razors is still going strong. I think there are a lot more affordable option now then there were with the "new" razors. Before it was Merkur, Parker, Muhle, and a few others. And the "artisan" razor was usually priced outside of what many wanted to invest. Nowadays...you can get a quality stainless steel razor for under $100 and in some cases, closer to $50.

The best thing about getting into WS is the people I have dealt with. I have found that there are many many knowledgeable and helpful people. This forum is the best. There really is no back lash at all in any comment. It is a joy to deal with such people. Thanks.

I have found WS is something you really have to watch spending closely. Different people have different spending. So just speaking for my spending's the best thing I ever did was create a budget. If I do not it can get out of hand big time.
I find also a helpful is that the WS used market is very good. So I sell really to rotate and this helps. I fell a great happiness in both shopping for WS products and opening new scents and of course the most important using the product.

On a downer side the worst part is those trolls mostly on reddit that will just create negative items to what you post. I know most should agree just do not do Reddit but there are a good amount of nice people.

And final thought it sometime saddens when a company you like and have delt with goes out of business. I am sure it is a very completive business.

I tried not to make this to go on and on but overall I spent 50 years of just shaving because I had to. Now the last 4 years I shaved because I ENJOYED it

Take care

GO BUCKS!!!

The best thing about getting into WS is the people I have dealt with. I have found that there are many many knowledgeable and helpful people. This forum is the best. There really is no back lash at all in any comment. It is a joy to deal with such people. Thanks.

I have found WS is something you really have to watch spending closely. Different people have different spending. So just speaking for my spending's the best thing I ever did was create a budget. If I do not it can get out of hand big time.
I find also a helpful is that the WS used market is very good. So I sell really to rotate and this helps. I fell a great happiness in both shopping for WS products and opening new scents and of course the most important using the product.

On a downer side the worst part is those trolls mostly on reddit that will just create negative items to what you post. I know most should agree just do not do Reddit but there are a good amount of nice people.

And final thought it sometime saddens when a company you like and have delt with goes out of business. I am sure it is a very completive business.

I tried not to make this to go on and on but overall I spent 50 years of just shaving because I had to. Now the last 4 years I shaved because I ENJOYED it

Take care

GO BUCKS!!!
Some good thoughts on wet shaving in general. A budget definitely can help, especially if you are inclined to go overboard and impulse shop. I think of all of the turnover I have had in product over the past 3 years... Then the dollars it amounts to... I could be sick. Lol.

If I understood you correctly, that's an interesting thought on intentionally selling the soaps as a normal flow of new and variety. The problem for me is devaluation of a soap, which is only 15-25$ on average to begin with... Coupled with tacking on / eating an added 6$+ shipping... It's just hard to justify. So I buy in hopes of using it from too to bottom, then fail most of the time. Lol.

I haven't noticed too many businesses going under in my short time, but it's definitely the nature of the beast for any industry. It hurts worse when it's a brand you really like, or something sad like Sue loosing the fight to cancer (a little before my time). I feel like it would devastate the industry if some of the big ones went, though. I'm picturing TOBS overseas, Stirling in the US, etc..

If I understood you correctly, that's an interesting thought on intentionally selling the soaps as a normal flow of new and variety. The problem for me is devaluation of a soap, which is only 15-25$ on average to begin with... Coupled with tacking on / eating an added 6$+ shipping... It's just hard to justify. So I buy in hopes of using it from too to bottom, then fail most of the time. Lol.
Yes you do take a hit on what you spend and that also take a hit out of my budget. But I will also take a sample to have and that will last me 4 or 5 shave. A whole set will last my whole life ha ha. I do ask for birthday/Christmas gifts from my wife and kids to give me WS gift cirt.
I also work in a shipping dept so that make it easier maybe too easy to box and pack shipments.

As far as in my time and I do think there are more but maybe some can add too this?
Mickey Lee
Storybook soapworks
Wildwest shaving
Just in the past month there has been Dapper Dragon and Kramperts finest.

Yes you do take a hit on what you spend and that also take a hit out of my budget. But I will also take a sample to have and that will last me 4 or 5 shave. A whole set will last my whole life ha ha. I do ask for birthday/Christmas gifts from my wife and kids to give me WS gift cirt.
I also work in a shipping dept so that make it easier maybe too easy to box and pack shipments.

As far as in my time and I do think there are more but maybe some can add too this?
Mickey Lee
Storybook soapworks
Wildwest shaving
Just in the past month there has been Dapper Dragon and Kramperts finest.

That's interesting...

I knew about Mickey Lee, but hadn't heard Storybook went out of business. I thought Dapper Dragon was long ago, which I guess is a testament to my (lack of) shopping skills. Lol. Saw the post by Krampert's owner in another neighborhood. Never heard of Wildwest shaving soap (more proof against my shopping skills, lol).

You will soon be able to add Victory Shaving, as he posted here recently his plan to move on to other things. [emoji3525]

You will soon be able to add Victory Shaving, as he posted here recently his plan to move on to other things.
Too bad I think you gave me a tub as the Christmas exchange. I liked it and bought another tub and the post shave balm. I use the unscented balm everyday for my forehead that gets super dry. I might have to get a final one before they exit.

Essentially, we have become a target for niche marketeers. Generally, white Christian nostalgic males with disposable income. Frankly, it has gotten out of hand. The classics will stand the test of time, the others will fade. Reminds me of the 90’s cigar resurgence. It’s a blast, but not practical for me to have tried a hundred aftershaves. Discovering or rediscovering traditional wet shaving in its true essence and passing it on to friends and family is FRUGAL. But not the way we do it. We have become collectors and hobbyists. I love the camaraderie and nobody loves fun and variety more than I, but let’s not forget how fortunate we are to be afforded these indulgences. Many in this world are not.

Essentially, we have become a target for niche marketeers. Generally, white Christian nostalgic males with disposable income. Frankly, it has gotten out of hand. The classics will stand the test of time, the others will fade. Reminds me of the 90’s cigar resurgence. It’s a blast, but not practical for me to have tried a hundred aftershaves. Discovering or rediscovering traditional wet shaving in its true essence and passing it on to friends and family is FRUGAL. But not the way we do it. We have become collectors and hobbyists. I love the camaraderie and nobody loves fun and variety more than I, but let’s not forget how fortunate we are to be afforded these indulgences. Many in this world are not.
I see us in a golden era. We can choose from many fine vintage razors or modern razors ranging from cheap to very expensive. Brushes are available at all price points and styles. Blades are available at great prices from all over the world. Preferences vary but it isn’t hard to find what you like at reasonable prices. Soaps can drive anyone crazy with the infinite variety of new bases and products but that is up to us to decide if we want to stick with what we enjoy or keep looking.

I came back to wet shaving after about 35 years with an electric. I’m not sure exactly why but I suspect the idea made sense and my Grandfather’s shave mug that is now over 100 years old was not getting much use in a china cabinet.

Less than a year after this journey began, my wife became terminally ill. During her last 18 months, the ritual aspect of building a lather, concentrating on the shave and the overall respite from her illness proved cathartic to me.

She is now gone more Han 52 months but I can still feel her stroking my cheek and hear her saying “Wow”. This is priceless to me.

Wet shaving means different things to different people but if there is joy to be gained and nobody is being hurt, it is a good thing.

Back