The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cricut machine- anyone have one?

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
My wife is becoming increasingly “crafty” and her eye has turned toward this little machine called a “CRICUT”. A friend of ours has one and has used it to make shirts and a few other printed vinyl projects for us but I understand it is capable of doing virtually any anything printed ...if you pick the right machine and attachments. Our friend barely understands her machine so she’s no help in picking a new machine or guiding her/me in getting the right machine and attachments. So I turn the smartest group of people I know, YOU! Any of you have experience with one of these gadgets? If not you, your spouse or close relative? If so, I would like to know a few things about choosing a new machine and getting started...Perhaps you could give a guy a link to a useful tutorial video or two as well.

I would like to get her a machine for Christmas if possible but I need to know a few things first:

1) Is it advisable/beneficial to get a more advanced machine with the idea she can/will eventually be able or want to use all its capabilities (buy once) OR should I stick with a more economical basic machine that does the basic vinyl work so she can learn and do the basic stuff first without being overwhelmed by all the other things the machine can do?
2)she tells me the cricut is basically a printer and needs a computer to work, can it work via WiFi? Using an iPad? Chrome book? Our household has limited computer technology (all the tech is at my office) so I would need to buy an appropriate computer too.
3)once the machine has printed/done it’s thing, is it difficult to work with the vinyl etc. it looks like they have a bunch of tools and gadgets available, implying the work begins when the printer/cutter has finished. What tools do I need to plan to buy right away.

the big question...will buying this machine mean I give up my soap room or end up getting divorced because I brought the evil beast into the house?

My son is getting married next year so I know she will want to use it to Make “stuff”..

I got my wife one a couple years ago. It has mostly gone unused. The biggest project was cutting letters out of thicker paper to put on tri-folds for a school project for the kids. So we probably can't help you much, but I'll ask.

Thank you for your two cents “dear” ... it is a pretty neat machine @CBLindsay .. I don’t have the latest one.. the latest one I believe does connect via Bluetooth & can do all sorts of stuff...you can connect it to a computer or even mobile devices iOS & Android the Cricut Air 2 is the one that I believe does all that..

How exciting for your wife!!! 😊😊

We didn’t need to buy anything extra by the way... that being said I am not sure with this new version if that is different but I really don’t think so... it looks like it’s gotten smaller from the one I have too.. hope that helps somewhat!

Last post... if you go to the cricut website.. they have an awesome deal right now on a bundle that comes with a bunch of stuff more than half off & free shipping!

Last post... if you go to the cricut website.. they have an awesome deal right now on a bundle that comes with a bunch of stuff more than half off & free shipping!
I checked out the bundles and decided to get the bundle with the “essentials” and a subscription to that will allow her to download enough fonts and images to enjoy herself for some time. With the $9.99/mo subscription (cancel any time) I got a 10% discount too. She’s going to need to scrounge up her own materials and figure out how to use her iPad or my daughters chrome book to design print jobs though. I got her a rollaway toolbox with work top she can use to store everything so I won’t have to give up much on my space. With my sons wedding coming up I’m thinking this will allow more stuff t be done.

Thanks @MrsNurseDave for giving me a confidence boost, my wife deserves to have something like this I just needed to know if I should be afraid to go all in or not.

I checked out the bundles and decided to get the bundle with the “essentials” and a subscription to that will allow her to download enough fonts and images to enjoy herself for some time. With the $9.99/mo subscription (cancel any time) I got a 10% discount too. She’s going to need to scrounge up her own materials and figure out how to use her iPad or my daughters chrome book to design print jobs though. I got her a rollaway toolbox with work top she can use to store everything so I won’t have to give up much on my space. With my sons wedding coming up I’m thinking this will allow more stuff t be done.

Thanks @MrsNurseDave for giving me a confidence boost, my wife deserves to have something like this I just needed to know if I should be afraid to go all in or not.

awww love it! she is lucky to have you ♥️ I am quite sure she is going to be thrilled with all the goodies she is going to get! there is so much you can do with that machine.. truth be told I don’t so as much as I could do with mine!! 😳

Sounds like it could be the treadmill my WIFE had to have. Now it hangs clothes that can't go in the dryer.

Sounds like it could be the treadmill my WIFE had to have. Now it hangs clothes that can't go in the dryer.
She’s got a cool one of those too, right next to the elliptical and my rowing thingy...all of them taking up space in my soap room. At least the tread thingy has a flat spot to put boxes on and the rower has a seat to put a box in. The elliptical is just in the way.

Oooh, I just put a big old box of something REALLY cool on our treadmill. I can’t wait to tell y’all what’s in it. ...no it’s not a Cricut, that’s in the truck (my hiding place) with the rest of the stuff that came to the office today.

Oooh, I just put a big old box of something REALLY cool on our treadmill. I can’t wait to tell y’all what’s in it. ...no it’s not a Cricut, that’s in the truck (my hiding place) with the rest of the stuff that came to the office today.
Soapmaking Equipment !!!!!! YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soapmaking Equipment !!!!!! YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That would make sense wouldn’t it, get great equipment and have to put it on the treadmill....nope. I’m getting a new stick blender for Christmas though.
A box of Oud wood!
. That would stink. Dave (of the barber shop kind) tried distilling his own mesquite wood Oud...he’s lost 50 pounds, no longer has any facial hair and we’ve not seen him on the forum since... nope.

My wife got one for the kitchen too, she wanted to be extra sure I didn't have reason to use the soap one for smoothies.
I hope they are a different color, so they don't get mixed up......

I hope they are a different color, so they don't get mixed up......
Um...I don’t think they are. But she will have a nifty new cricut thing to make a label for hers, the bottoms come off for cleaning so I guess it’s still a game of blender roulette unless she makes a label for the bottom too.

Back