The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Creating a Bespoke Fragrance

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Ok my friends- Spring and Summer are just around the the bend - so a little tradition I do is create a bespoke fun fragrance. It almost definitely has citrus and boozy notes.

I have also done in the past - for my son, Aidan, created some soda fragrances - like Cherry Coke, Ginger Ale, Fruit Stripe Gum, Bubble Gum - he’s autistic and I’m working with him on personal hygiene - hey - these are the scents he likes - so if that is his entry into Aftershaves and Colognes - I’m all for it!

So last year I created several The Bees Knees (A Prohibition Cocktail - Lemon, Gin, Honey, Long Island Ice Tea, Salty Dog, Dark & Stormy.

This year - I wanted to look for a Philly Themed Cocktail Cologne - so I searched and searched….I found this - which having grown up and gone to school in Philly - I don’t remember this - but apparently there is this cocktail called the Hill Billy Gatorade Lol

It has Barbecue Sauce, Pickle Juice (this is a reference to the Philadelphia Eagles who drank Pickle Juice instead of gatorade for a time. The Eagles are the one team I despise from Philly. Philadelphia Flyers - greatest team in sports. Full Stop. Philadelphia Phillies - best baseball team ever. Philadelphia Union - Best USA soccer team. Philadelphia Wings - Best lacrosse team on the planet, Philadelphia 76ers - well I’m not that into basketball - but they did have Dr J so best basketball team ever. Philadelphia Eagles - a pox on your family sir.)

So back to the notes. Barbecue sauce, Pickle Juice, Miller High Life………whoa……This is definitely South Philly - I’d would have ventured North Philly as well (given the beer)- but I know that BBQ is only known on Percy Street which is South. Now, I am all for blue collar (my grandfather was a bricklayer) - but Miller High Life wasn’t my idea of a boozy scent.

The search continues 😂

Blue collar booze my friend, with BBQ and Pickle juice, I’d have picked nothing less than the High Life.

Is there some place you had the bespoke frags made, I know they exist, but way out of my price range, at least what I’ve seen. But then, you can make that one with a quick run down to the 7-11. Maybe add a bit of cherry slurpy in for a touch of sweetness. :)

Blue collar booze my friend, with BBQ and Pickle juice, I’d have picked nothing less than the High Life.

Is there some place you had the bespoke frags made, I know they exist, but way out of my price range, at least what I’ve seen. But then, you can make that one with a quick run down to the 7-11. Maybe add a bit of cherry slurpy in for a touch of sweetness. :)
I think Cherry Slurpee would be perfect as a note! Lol

OK, here Are my two Philly Inspired Scents (these are spring / summer type scents)

The Liberty Bell: Bourbon, Peach, Apricot, Orange, Lemon
Boat House Row (a Scuttle Soap Original): Gin, Watermelon, Ginger, Grapefruit, Rosemary

I’m a Philly Boy - always WIT! And move down the line
And for my shaving brethren that don’t understand this little inside Philly joke (well played @August West)

While it is highly contentious to say what the best Cheesesteak place in Philly is (my personal favorite was when I was 10, my father took us to this no name dive next to Vet Stadium - all I remember was the place was a dive - my dad ordered through this little screen window - and out came the best food I have ever tasted).

But what isn’t’ under contention is the origin. The original owner of Pat’s King of Steaks invented the Cheesesteak for our many proud South Philly Blue collar gents even before he had a dive restaurant that you see today - the best way to describe it was that it was like a dirty water hot dog stand back then.

Fast forward today - when you order at Pat’s you need to know what you want and how to order it - and quickly - otherwise you get sent to the back of the line! So you order with your cheese of choice (mine is Provolone - my kids like cheese whiz)……wit is with grilled onions wit out is no onions - so my preference is Provolone Wit - you don’t look up - just move down the line to order your soda (cherry coke - coke with real cherry sauce) and if you want - cheese fries. Best meal in Philly!

Always fascinated by regional nuances and loyalties. I miss Big East Basketball!
Forgive me for invoking ESPN - but they have a great 30 for 30 episode on the demise of the Big East. At least Villanova is in the Final Four again (My alma mater La Salle - last won in 1950 - talk about a dry spell lol)

Back