The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Commercial vs. Artisan

Artisan vs Commerical the answer is simple

MUST HAVE THEM ALL

Cvargo said:
I know it isn't the best example to use. But Old Spice from the store doesn't last as long as compared to Stirling's version of Old Spice.

I do suppose that the only benefit I really see is the evolution of the scent. I don't know if quality of oils really warrants that drastic of a price difference. But then again I am not a frag expert.

Cvargo,

You are right, the old Shulton formula lasts much longer and smells stronger than the modern version. I have and use the classic Shulton Old Spice from the 70s. The modern version made by P&G, is more powdery smelling and lasts 1/4 as long. I use the classic Aftershave, then follow up with Soap Commander Endurance (Old Spice scent). I feel balms do a better job at moisturizing, but the Splashes last longer.

I also love the vintage Old Spice soap. It's the best soap I have; however, it's almost gone. ? I bought an artisan Tallow based Old Spice soap, I think it was from Chiseled Face. I put it in one of my vintage Old Spice mugs. I'm just waiting till I'm out of the vintage.

I think varies, there are some products that a private label less expensive and equal to or better than the original. I do also think hype can also play a roll. I've smelled some expensive aftershave but I enjoyed my WSP, and artisan stuff better. But to each their own.

Gojira76 said:
... I feel balms do a better job at moisturizing, but the Splashes last longer...

I agree with this. Also, the alcohol in most splashes tends to burn too much for me. So ==> I'm more of a balm guy.

I really like some of the artisan/ specialty stuff from Stirling/ Gentlmen's Chamber/ WSP et al. But I don't have enough room to keep a 20 year supply of every possible shaving product so I usually only have a bottle of "the good stuff". Right now, I use my bottle of Stirling balm for my SR shaves. But before I tried that, I really liked (and still do) the Nivea Sensitive post-shave balms. I prefer the Stirling, but I only have one bottle and the Nivea stuff has the advantage of being available at any grocery store. So I use the Nivea (which again, I still like) for my DE shaves & the "better stuff" to soothe the damage I'm prone to do with the SR. And I'm likely to continue this practice... at least until I build up a stock of artisan balms that'll last a few years (maybe I have room for that.)

BL: I think the artisan & mass produced stuff both have their place (at least, for me.) Just my two cents....

I buy artisan AS because I think many of them are superior to mass-marketed brands. I have not found that to be true with fragrances, and will only buy the original. I keep a small number in stock, so it doesn't break the bank.

I usually find that I enjoy the original scent as far as longevity and actual scent goes. But as far as day to day, artisan all the way for the skin goodies and similar scent. been leaning a little towards artisan lately.
But like everything else, not a hard set rule.

How about artisan originals. When you have artisans like Zoologist that make some great smelling EdT, cologne and Perfumes...it seems to me the deal is the artisan original. You get that special scent that no one knows about, but everyone loves to smell on you. And it's at the same price or cheaper than a lot of mass produced alcohol. My wife purchased the newest version of Channel...I could have gotten myself a great bottle of Imaginary Authors.

Especially now that Fine sells Fragrances.

I have to be honest I don't think the premium is worth it any longer. What say you?

I only have a few fragrances, but with Fine selling them now, I may indulge. It would be my first artisan.

I only have a few fragrances, but with Fine selling them now, I may indulge. It would be my first artisan.

At $25 for a big bottle...I think it's a steal. I have received a lot of compliments on the Fine Platinum and Fine American Blend.

I’ve enjoyed reading through this thread. Hearing all of you discuss the nuances of scent reinforces my desire to go deeper into this particular rabbit hole. And that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned!

Back