The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Comfort or Best Memory Food

This fish house has been around for nearly 100 years in my hometown on the banks of the Ohio River. I've been going there all my life, and it's best on a nice day when you can sit outside. Everyone has a smile on their face, and the food is outta this world.

My Bride, Kathy, had a stem cell transplant in 2020. Her recovery, combined with the COVID restrictions, kept us at home for a long stretch. This was our first official restaurant meal in quite some time. We split a fish plate (yes, the portions are HUGE), a side of onion rings, and two extra large belly washers. This was a glorious day for many different reasons. :love:

Welcome To Mike Linnig's Restaurant | Fresh Seafood

View attachment 64960
Blessed be you both!!!!

Blessed be you both!!!!
Thanks Tony. I appreciate the kind words.

Kathy is doing great and has wonderful docs, but 2020 was a wild ride. We spent that summer in Rochester, MN at the Mayo Clinic. We hope to start traveling more in 2022 (tentative plans for Italy, Florida, and British Columbia so far) and volunteering again in the intensive care unit at the local children's hospital. Kathy's diagnosis combined with COVID changed our plans a bit in late 2019, but we're gradually getting back on track. We are truly blessed.

This fish house has been around for nearly 100 years in my hometown on the banks of the Ohio River. I've been going there all my life, and it's best on a nice day when you can sit outside. Everyone is smiling and laughing, and the food is outta this world.

My Bride, Kathy, had a stem cell transplant in 2020. Her recovery, combined with the COVID restrictions, kept us at home for a long stretch. This was our first official restaurant meal in quite some time. We split a fish plate (yes, the portions are HUGE), a side of onion rings, and two extra large belly washers. This was a glorious day for many different reasons. :love:

View attachment 64960
What a great share!

I want to visit just for the onion rings! 😀

This fish house has been around for nearly 100 years in my hometown on the banks of the Ohio River. I've been going there all my life, and it's best on a nice day when you can sit outside. Everyone is smiling and laughing, and the food is outta this world.

View attachment 64960
Hello Mrs Danger!😀

Mine is when my mom's side of the family would get together in Puerto Rico in her hometown of Barranquitas, up in the mountains and have the whole family over of a feast to feed everyone. The guys would go out early in the morning and hunt a pig then cook it and have the following for dinner. but before that for "almuerzo" it would be Pan Y Queso Del Bola and Puerto Rican Coffee. Cafe con Leche ( Yaucono) Super Strong

puerto-rican-water-bread-2138108-hero-01-f94d035c94df4639b70defb0ba108431.jpg
quesodebola.jpg
s9wtsok89eh01.jpg

Then for Dinner:
Lechon Asado cooked with Banana Leaves in a dug pit, Arroz con Pollo, Tostones (fried plantains) Sweet Plantains , Pasteles and Beans

235px-Lechon.jpg
Cuba-Lechon-Asado-e1425943062308.jpg
pressure_cooker_arroz_con_pollo_19.jpg

Pasteles.jpg
Tostones-9.jpg
1635295212080.jpeg

IMG_6975-2.jpg

Followed by Dulce de Coco, Flan
300_la_fe_dulce_de_coco_medium.png
Spanish-flan-3.jpg

.... Then late into the evening the men would drink Rum, ( Only Don Q) smoke cigars and play dominos

13274954989598.png
an-elderly-man-smoking-a-cuban-cigar-slaps-down-his-plastic-tile-on-a-wooden-table-during-a-noisy-game-of-dominoes-played-in-domino-park-in-little-havana-the-colorful-neighborhood-of-hispanic-culture-in-miami-florida-usa-located-at-the-corner-of-sw-8th-street-calle-ocho-and-15th-avenue-this-outdoor-social-center-is-officially-named-maximo-gomez-park-and-has-become-a-landmark-that-daily-draws-dozens-of-older-players-as-well-as-hundreds-of-tourists-historical-photo-MT7GYG.jpg

Oh do I miss those times

Mine is when my mom's side of the family would get together in Puerto Rico in her hometown of Barranquitas, up in the mountains and have the whole family over of a feast to feed everyone. The guys would go out early in the morning and hunt a pig then cook it and have the following for dinner. but before that for "almuerzo" it would be Pan Y Queso Del Bola and Puerto Rican Coffee. Cafe con Leche ( Yaucono) Super Strong

puerto-rican-water-bread-2138108-hero-01-f94d035c94df4639b70defb0ba108431.jpg
quesodebola.jpg
s9wtsok89eh01.jpg

Then for Dinner:
Lechon Asado cooked with Banana Leaves in a dug pit, Arroz con Pollo, Tostones (fried plantains) Sweet Plantains , Pasteles and Beans

235px-Lechon.jpg
Cuba-Lechon-Asado-e1425943062308.jpg
pressure_cooker_arroz_con_pollo_19.jpg

Pasteles.jpg
Tostones-9.jpg
View attachment 64990

IMG_6975-2.jpg

Followed by Dulce de Coco, Flan
300_la_fe_dulce_de_coco_medium.png
Spanish-flan-3.jpg

.... Then late into the evening the men would drink Rum, ( Only Don Q) smoke cigars and play dominos

13274954989598.png
an-elderly-man-smoking-a-cuban-cigar-slaps-down-his-plastic-tile-on-a-wooden-table-during-a-noisy-game-of-dominoes-played-in-domino-park-in-little-havana-the-colorful-neighborhood-of-hispanic-culture-in-miami-florida-usa-located-at-the-corner-of-sw-8th-street-calle-ocho-and-15th-avenue-this-outdoor-social-center-is-officially-named-maximo-gomez-park-and-has-become-a-landmark-that-daily-draws-dozens-of-older-players-as-well-as-hundreds-of-tourists-historical-photo-MT7GYG.jpg

Oh do I miss those times
There’s nothing like the skin on a fire roasted pig - ranks up there with bacon

Back