The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Comfort or Best Memory Food

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I was watching this Best of vid of Food Insider - and thought - what is the food that you’ve eaten that if you had a chance would always back to? Not necessarily the “best you’ve ever eaten“ but that thing that you remember the most and if you could go back - you’d get it in a NY minute? (By the way - as a what I consider I will always be a Philly boy - it is not a Cheese Steak - though they are the best - watching the video I know I have to try an authentic Chicago deep dish pizza as well as a Nashville Hot Chicken and a real Po’ Bly)

For me - it is a JoJo’s Italian Hoagie from Mechanicsburg, PA. The town is not necessarily known for their ethnic Italian heritage but they have several Italian Hoagie shops that hit the mark. What makes it so special is the bread - so hard to describe - it is not truly in the shape of a traditionAl hoagie bread - but it is all around delicious! Every time I go visit my mom - we get some. It started when My best college buddy and I (we lived about 5 minutes from each other but didn’t meet until college ), would work in the summers on his parents’ properties and farms. His parents where a surgeon and a nurse respectively (his brother is a world renowned surgeon - but that’s another story) - owned a bunch of properties and a farm. George and I would do whatever tasks that were required - landscaping, taking care of the animals) - and his mom would always buy us a JoJo’s hoagie for lunch (along with Snyder‘s pretzels)…good times! Was even better when we turned 21 and after the day of working - we’d finish the day at their pool and she‘d get ua a 5 liter mini keg of Dinkleacker Beer)!

closest 2nd place is Polumbo’s - again for the bread - can’t describe you just have to eat it - fresh - and hot !

Last edited:
These are the places on the video I have to try……………

Nashville Hot Chicken

Chicago Style Pizza

Po’ Boys

Plus here’s the full vid- Inhave to try all the taco joints and the ramen places

I don’t know if this is really what you were asking, but some of my favorite food experiences are experiencing tastes that I’ve never had before. The “boujee” stuff where they might take a mushroom, dehydrate it, reconstitute it into a jelly they make a sphere out of, fill with juniper smoke and you pop it in your mouth all at once and taste something that you couldn’t have even imagined. Like when you hear music so good you shut your eyes to block out everything else to enjoy it.

The first time I experienced anything like that was the first time I went to Vegas with my wife when we were dating. There was a Michelin star restaurant at the top of the Palms which is no longer there.

But one of the best experiences was at E!, also in Vegas, which is a hidden restaurant inside another restaurant. Only like 12 seats and two seatings per night. You are pretty much sitting at the kitchen bar watching the people assemble each course while explaining it. I’ll post a few pics from that one. And no, you don’t go away hungry from these places.

I don’t know if this is really what you were asking, but some of my favorite food experiences are experiencing tastes that I’ve never had before. The “boujee” stuff where they might take a mushroom, dehydrate it, reconstitute it into a jelly they make a sphere out of, fill with juniper smoke and you pop it in your mouth all at once and taste something that you couldn’t have even imagined. Like when you hear music so good you shut your eyes to block out everything else to enjoy it.

The first time I experienced anything like that was the first time I went to Vegas with my wife when we were dating. There was a Michelin star restaurant at the top of the Palms which is no longer there.

But one of the best experiences was at E!, also in Vegas, which is a hidden restaurant inside another restaurant. Only like 12 seats and two seatings per night. You are pretty much sitting at the kitchen bar watching the people assemble each course while explaining it. I’ll post a few pics from that one. And no, you don’t go away hungry from these places.
There are no rules but both sound delish! And unique! I love the pics

My most memorable food came from many years back. I was 15 and went with my dad to his work conference in New Orleans. He would go to meetings during the day and just let me roam around and explore. We went to the Court of Two Sisters. I had the Shrimp and Crawfish Etouffee with gumbo and Caesar salad. It was the only gumbo I ever had that was okra based instead of tomato based. And they made the dressing for the salad table side. It was some of the best food that I have ever had.

My most memorable food came from many years back. I was 15 and went with my dad to his work conference in New Orleans. He would go to meetings during the day and just let me roam around and explore. We went to the Court of Two Sisters. I had the Shrimp and Crawfish Etouffee with gumbo and Caesar salad. It was the only gumbo I ever had that was okra based instead of tomato based. And they made the dressing for the salad table side. It was some of the best food that I have ever had.
The Court of Two Sisters makes probably the Best Etouffe around. It's some good stuff!

So my comfort food and my best memory of food both come, not from a restaurant, but my Great Grandma's Kitchen. It wasn't anything fancy. Just apple sauce. Homemade apple sauce. She lived in Michigan at the time and every year ended up with more apples than she knew what to do with. My Great Grandma was born in the early 1900s (1904 to be exact) and as a person who lived through depression and wars, she canned much of her own food, especially her excess. So she made a lot of apple sauce. She would stew apples days on end and make the most delicious apple sauce. Since apples are typically harvested in the cold seasons in Michigan, my Great Grandma's house stayed warm and cozy during those days. You could smell the cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. And when a batch was ready, you ate it warm. But the best part of the apple sauce was that it was lumpy. Warm apple bites in with the sauce. Oh man that was the good stuff. I was really little at the time, between the ages of four and eight. But it's a memory that will stick with me until I die. And the best damn apple sauce that there was. I know my nostalgic expectations are way too high, but there has never been a better apple sauce that I have tried.

So my comfort food and my best memory of food both come, not from a restaurant, but my Great Grandma's Kitchen. It wasn't anything fancy. Just apple sauce. Homemade apple sauce. She lived in Michigan at the time and every year ended up with more apples than she knew what to do with. My Great Grandma was born in the early 1900s (1904 to be exact) and as a person who lived through depression and wars, she canned much of her own food, especially her excess. So she made a lot of apple sauce. She would stew apples days on end and make the most delicious apple sauce. Since apples are typically harvested in the cold seasons in Michigan, my Great Grandma's house stayed warm and cozy during those days. You could smell the cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. And when a batch was ready, you ate it warm. But the best part of the apple sauce was that it was lumpy. Warm apple bites in with the sauce. Oh man that was the good stuff. I was really little at the time, between the ages of four and eight. But it's a memory that will stick with me until I die. And the best damn apple sauce that there was. I know my nostalgic expectations are way too high, but there has never been a better apple sauce that I have tried.
I bet it kept you regular too.

Kinda reminds me of a Vietnamese opium den.

This fish house has been around for nearly 100 years in my hometown on the banks of the Ohio River. I've been going there all my life, and it's best on a nice day when you can sit outside. Everyone is smiling and laughing, and the food is outta this world.

My Bride, Kathy, had a stem cell transplant in 2020. Her recovery, combined with the COVID restrictions, kept us at home for a long stretch. This was our first official restaurant meal in quite some time. We split a fish plate (yes, the portions are HUGE), a side of onion rings, and two extra large belly washers. This was a glorious day for many different reasons. :love:

Welcome To Mike Linnig's Restaurant | Fresh Seafood

1.jpg

Someone should make an apple soap.

Back