The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cigar box modifications

Love that box!

They had about 10 of those in varying sizes when I first went to check them out. I think I still have 2-3 of them.

Just out of curiosity (and my own detriment)....could these be used to store DE razors?

I’m sure they could. I initially had plans to make DE shaped compartments in one of them to store mine, but never got that one past the “I think that would be cool” phase.

Depending on how you want to go about it, you’ll need a small can of oil based paint in the same color as the flocking fibers or a can of spray enamel. You don’t want anything fast drying, so stay away from lacquer or shellac. A primer coat will be needed as well, again either can or spray depending on your preference.

I use blue painters tape and a shopping bag to seal off the outside of the box and keep the cutoff lines uniform. I would recommend it over regular masking tape since it is designed to keep paint from bleeding through on the edges as long as it is pressed down well enough, and is adhesive enough to hold in place for a while and still peel off without leaving any residue.

Other than that just make sure everything is wiped down before you start. If you end up using a spray like I did, you might want to keep a small chip or foam brush on hand. The paint will pool in areas and you can smooth it out that way, or just add more flocking to that area. Plan on using a LOT of the flocking material when you’re doing this, so it’s best to do it in a large box to more easily collect and save the excess.

Back