The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cigar box modifications

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
i pickced up some cigar boxes boxes today and wanted to make them into cases for my straights. i was thinking about using some felt inside and putting some spacers in them as well. does anyone know of any good mods that can be done for these? if anyone has pics that would be greatly apreciated as well. thakns

I’ll dig the pics out when I have a few minutes. In the meantime, look up flocking. It really is the best way to go to coat the insides.

i was watching a video on flocking and the guy was sayin you should varnish wood before applying, do you have a type of varnish you would reccomend?

BC90CDB2-70B3-456A-B12D-D4833BBBAAB7.jpeg

A6006C84-2F18-437A-85A5-BDC17EDB6574.jpeg

I made one for the Jnat as well.

4662D3DA-ED0A-45FC-B260-A4ADE69C0962.jpeg

i was watching a video on flocking and the guy was sayin you should varnish wood before applying, do you have a type of varnish you would reccomend?

I was going more for mass storage than display, which is why I went the route I did. Imagine trying to line that with felt or velvet lol. You get almost the same effect(just maybe not quite as cushiony) with flocking and it is infinitely easier to do.

I did not varnish any of mine, though I used a different process than what was recommended after the first box, which didn’t come out too well. For one thing, the “adhesive” that they send with the flocking is just oil based enamel that has been upcharged by about 300%. I found that a spray can of rust oleum or any other oil enamel worked very well, and allowed me to get into the smaller areas much more easily than a brush. So I did apply a thin first coat of grey primer, let it dry, then applied a much thicker coat of the enamel that matched the flocking color to adhere the flocking to the surface. Note that the inside of the box will smell like oil paint for a long time, but it does fade eventually.

wow thats really nice!!!! how did you go about spacing, i really like the look of the first box. very nice indeed!
Thanks! I got some thin hobby wood sheets and cut them with a table saw to be barely longer than the box. They fit in snugly but without bending. I measured the width of the box to get an idea of how to space them, then marked the top, applied some wood glue to them, and pressed them in place. The flocking was done after they had dried.

Hmmm Eric… another l
Product to add to your brush line???😎
Haha maybe. I put some pics on my Hobbyist page when I made them, but didn’t get much response. A lot of what I can make is also determined by what boxes the local cigar shops carry. I got pretty lucky with the Cohiba box, and had to sort through a lot to find it.

Just out of curiosity (and my own detriment)....could these be used to store DE razors?

Back