The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Childhood Memories

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I received a recent order from Stirling Soap today - which included a bottle of Wintergreen Aftershave. The color was a deep pinkish hue. I think the color plus the scent triggered fond memories - of when my parents would take us to Dock View Dairy - which was a special treat. It was an actual dairy - not some huge corporate conglomerate - but a small family owned operation that had a very small ice cream shop. It was off the beaten path - I’d say it was the small town ice cream equivalent of a Pat’s Steak - a little non-assuming dive that had the best food.

My parents would share a Black Cow - which was a chocolate milkshake float with chocolate ice cream topped with hot fudge or chocolate syrup (my mom is still a chocoholic to this day)…..my brother would get either a root beer float or bubble gum ice cream with actual bubble gum in it. For me - and this is where the memory comes in - two scoops of teaberry ice cream. I rarely see it where I live now - but this was a staple in the town where I grew up.

1652567166036.jpeg

What are some of your best memories? is there something that triggers it?

One of my current favorite shaving soaps, a custom Honeysuckle one from Frank at Ethos Grooming, always brings back to me a bittersweet childhood memory. When I was 6 years old, I was hospitalized for several months with polio, which caused temporary paralysis of one arm and both legs. When I was finally recovering at home and learning to walk all over again, I would pace laps in our front yard, between a Coney Island Pine tree that my dad and I had planted - me in my wheelchair then - to celebrate my return home, and a fence on which honeysuckle grew. The sweet smell of the honeysuckle was my reward each time I finished a lap at the fence, and I've always remembered clearly the pleasure I always felt.
Ethos Grooming Honeysuckle soap.JPGhoneysuckle.jpg

And for some reason the combination of original Martin de Candre shaving soap and Armani Acqua di Giò aftershave always reminds me of going to swimming lessons at the public pool of the Long Beach Pike amusement park in Southern California on hot Saturday mornings (which may be where I caught the polio infection), after which I would follow sailors on shore leave around the park, watching them trying pick up girls.
Martin de Candre soap.JPGArmani Acqua di Giò.JPG

Attachments

• Martin de Candre soap.JPG
    Martin de Candre soap.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Ethos Grooming Honeysuckle soap.JPG
    Ethos Grooming Honeysuckle soap.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 2
One of my current favorite shaving soaps, a custom Honeysuckle one from Frank at Ethos Grooming, always brings back to me a bittersweet childhood memory. When I was 6 years old, I was hospitalized for several months with polio, which caused temporary paralysis of one arm and both legs. When I was finally recovering at home and learning to walk all over again, I would pace laps in our front yard, between a Coney Island Pine tree that my dad and I had planted - me in my wheelchair then - to celebrate my return home, and a fence on which honeysuckle grew. The sweet smell of the honeysuckle was my reward each time I finished a lap at the fence, and I've always remembered clearly the pleasure I always felt.
View attachment 82907View attachment 82903

And for some reason the combination of original Martin de Candre shaving soap and Armani Acqua di Giò aftershave always reminds me of going to swimming lessons at the public pool of the Long Beach Pike amusement park in Southern California on hot Saturday mornings (which may be where I caught the polio infection), after which I would follow sailors on shore leave around the park, watching them trying pick up girls.
View attachment 82906View attachment 82905
Thank you for sharing that! Very impressive what you have overcome! Do you think your memories of the honeysuckle and the ADG played a role in your love for fragrances?

Thank you for sharing that! Very impressive what you have overcome! Do you think your memories of the honeysuckle and the ADG played a role in your love for fragrances?
Those memories and many others probably have contributed. For some reason smell memories - and music ones - are the clearest for me, more vivid than others such as sight and touch.

two scoops of teaberry ice cream. I rarely see it where I live now - but this was a staple in the town where I grew up.
There was an ice cream shop, long since gone, that had Teaberry. It was great in a shake, too. There is a regional dairy this side of the Alleghenies that has a special edition Teaberry every so often. There's a little luck involved getting some - it sells out quickly.

Whenever I think of lobster, it brings back a great childhood memory. My father took my sister and me to a lobster farm in Niantic, Connecticut. This fisherman had halfway sunk an old barge at ocean's edge, using the framework of the hull to build a network of ocean-filled bins, which were all filled with lobster. He had built walkways throughout the bins, on which he took us below deck to water and walkways. You cannot imagine the thousands of lobsters in the hold of that old barge! He would empty his traps into it each day. He had an unassuming-looking little luncheonette type place that served the best seafood around, with an endless lobster supply. To me, it was Valhalla.

There was an ice cream shop, long since gone, that had Teaberry. It was great in a shake, too. There is a regional dairy this side of the Alleghenies that has a special edition Teaberry every so often. There's a little luck involved getting some - it sells out quickly.

Whenever I think of lobster, it brings back a great childhood memory. My father took my sister and me to a lobster farm in Niantic, Connecticut. This fisherman had halfway sunk an old barge at ocean's edge, using the framework of the hull to build a network of ocean-filled bins, which were all filled with lobster. He had built walkways throughout the bins, on which he took us below deck to water and walkways. You cannot imagine the thousands of lobsters in the hold of that old barge! He would empty his traps into it each day. He had an unassuming-looking little luncheonette type place that served the best seafood around, with an endless lobster supply. To me, it was Valhalla.
Lobster - a little slice of heaven!

Back